Ibiza 1.6 tdi Owners

Frudo

Hi, I still have reservations on my forthcoming purchase, ot the sport 1.6 tdi. with the DPF. Being a second car I will only be doing less than 6000 miles a year and the majority of the time short trips to the shops, family and golf club. 4 mile each way, with perhaps a run out once or twice a month. I intend keeping the car for 10yrs so can justify the extra expense over the petrol engine, with better mpg and £35 tax. I ve had a pegeuot 106 1.5d for 10yrs 70000 miles 55mpg running around no problem, and this will be going in for scrappage. (my other car is a Mercedes slk). I spoke with Seat uk technical this afternoon and explained my situation, they said that providing I regen when the light comes on I should not have a problem. Also if the car has to go into the dealership for a reset it would be chargable, not what my dealer told me !! but usually they will do it for free for the first time. Providing the engine is at normal working temp the filter will be fine and regen its self I was told, how many miles before this temp is reached I asked, he couldnt answer. In all probability as I see it I will have to travel further than I want to just to regen wasting fuel. Could I ask the 1.6 tdi owners for their experience of the dpf, is it a problem on short trips? I cannot find an actual road test on this engine, many reports quoting the technical spec and excelent mpg but nothing in real life. I really want the tdi but my head says get the petrol.

140SPORT

Aug 22, 2007
Hi

This is my view on the matter and i work with engines everyday.

Why don't you look at what other manufactures have in a diesel,I know the new Renault Megane 1.5dci 106hp does 62 mpg and is £35 tax and has NO DPF to Block up it is 120co2 or 118 for the 86hp one.

I have had Seat,and VW Golfs in the past and was just looking to get something else for myself that was cheap to run and £35 tax etc .

I am avoiding buying anything like a Skoda,Seat,VW,Audi with this new 1.6tdi cr engine in until VW get there act together and make an engine that you can use without having to go through frankly ridicules operations just because they can not make it work.

It also can happen on the other tdi engines with dpfs fitted but,Buying a petrol car you will not have any problems with blocked filters in the exhaust in day to day use.

No car should have to be taken out for a drive in this day and age to unblock a part of it,How much fuel is every one using going through this ,They should be ashamed !.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
I've not had an issue with mine since the first time the light came on and i took too long to regen, had it force regen'd at teh dealership for free (first tiem and all that.) but since then it's been fine around town.

tbh, i'm at the point in my life where if i have to take my car out for a quick blast to keep it sweet then it's a "chore2"im not that bothered about for the cheap tax, and the money i will be saving in fuel costs (once i get rid of the remnants of my lead right foot) will more than cover the few extra quid a month spent clearing the dpf.

as soon as the car's out of warranty it'll have the miltek dpf-delete pipe and remap done, taking it to 145bhp for the reasonably low cost of 700quid (half the price of a new dpf filter)

140SPORT

Aug 22, 2007
You might want to take your car out for a blast but all that does is make it worse as they need a light load at constant revs not foot to the floor which blocks the filter up just as much as driving around town.

Any enthusiast wont mind the extra driving but 95% of car buyers just want to get somewhere when they want,They don't want to be clearing out useless filters.

Frudo

Hi Thanks both for your prompt reply and comments, I totally agree with 140 sports. I did look at the megane, then saw the coupe its a stunner, but at £16500, I was getting away from what I wanted, a cheapish car to buy and run with a good boot for the golf clubs, what could be simpler ! many failed the test including the fiesta which was my 1st choice, in the end it was between the Ibiza, Honda Jazz, and Toyota Yaris, looks like the £300 deposit may have gone down the drain. Anyone got a good word for it.

140SPORT

Aug 22, 2007
Hi

Don't get me wrong I am not anti Seat its just VW is not as good as they think they are engineering wise.

The top 10 best cars are mostly from Japan apart from Skoda but Vw have been pushing them more so than VW ,Seat and Audi.

The new Ibiza is a good looking car I had a sit in one when they first came out,If you like it take a chance and go for it ,I am going to wait even though the vat is going up I will wait until they have sorted this engine out in a year or so.

Chaza123

Similar to what Night Flight has said, since the light came on first time and Seat fixed the issue I have not had the light come on at all since and my journeys can be short or long it really does vary. But doing continually short journeys I'm not sure how it would be.

golfgtipaul

Jul 14, 2009
Hi

This is my view on the matter and i work with engines everyday.

Why don't you look at what other manufactures have in a diesel,I know the new Renault Megane 1.5dci 106hp does 62 mpg and is £35 tax and has NO DPF to Block up it is 120co2 or 118 for the 86hp one.

I have had Seat,and VW Golfs in the past and was just looking to get something else for myself that was cheap to run and £35 tax etc .

I am avoiding buying anything like a Skoda,Seat,VW,Audi with this new 1.6tdi cr engine in until VW get there act together and make an engine that you can use without having to go through frankly ridicules operations just because they can not make it work.

It also can happen on the other tdi engines with dpfs fitted but,Buying a petrol car you will not have any problems with blocked filters in the exhaust in day to day use.

No car should have to be taken out for a drive in this day and age to unblock a part of it,How much fuel is every one using going through this ,They should be ashamed !.

So you do not have an ibiza mk5 and you are passing judgement on this car and engine?
Anyway, From someone who has a mk5 1.6tdi it is a fantastic engine, very smooth, loads of torque compared to MOST OTHER BRANDS which are far more expensive and have less power. If you want a french car go for the clio, its about 2 grand more with 20 bhp less!!!!!! So for me its a no brainer!! miles cheaper car like for like, with more power, smooth engine, great looks, good residuals and just for taking it for a quick spin if and when the light comes on! Its up to you but dont be put off, think about what a great car you are getting!

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
^ what he said, tbf, i probably got the "wrong" engine for me, as it gets used day to day round town, up and down hills and twisty b roads to work, and quick trips to the gf's. But, i think i got it right, as having all that torque on tap, the rush as the boost kicks in, and round my end, diesel's only a penny or two more expensive than petrol.

I'd not change my car for anything else in it's class, (ok, possibly a cupra) or the class above (ok, maybe a focus RS)

tur8o_boi

Aug 21, 2008
I had the light come on 3 times in 3 weeks, but i cleared it myself, by using the guide given by the manual.
I have (touch wood) not had it come on again. I dont think it is such a big problem for me personally as i do do a mix of driving.

I do however agree with the others, if i was in your shoes, I would look at alternative engines/cars. One with a DPF does not seem to be a good idea for you.

Hope this helps.

WhiteIbizaMan

I've done 3,299 miles since 3 Oct and no DPF light (though now I've said that it'll probably come on tomorrow!
I'm driving all day six days a week as a Driving Instructor with lots of different people beating the #"$* out of it. In between I have a few burns to relax! Legal speeds of course! Average mpg 45 to 47. For the three longer trips 50.5 to 53.5mpg. It's slowly loosening up.
Had a bad start with coolant leak, loose earths and a resulting confused Engine Management ... all in the same week but, all sorted in the same week. Since then .... so far so good and what a great car.
But if you're only going to pootle about for short journeys ...... get a bike and don't waste your money!

Frudo

Hi
Thanks all, excellent threads, comments taken on board. Decisions to be made,

Nov 6, 2007
Newark
7k a year I Would say get a 1.4 sport with all the toys :D

There nothing wrong with the 1.6 cr and again everyone is going down the dpf route for tdi's eg ford ect ect

Again like other people have said, your not doing a big miles so have the tdi? Why not a FR?

Frudo

Ive got an slk as my toy although its a bit impractical sometimes hence the 2nd car.I need low tax and good mpg to average out the running expense of 2 cars. Ive decided to keep with the tdi its to good a car to let go. IF the regen becomes a problem Ill have to face the consequence, so roll on February. Thanks again all for your comments.

nicky1873

Jan 10, 2008
is this the same engine that is in the new golf ? if yes are they having the same problems ?...... please excuse but i've not got a scooby what a dpf does or what it is used for.....would you have to regen on a regular basis if you had short commutes ?

Frudo

The golf and polo have new common rail diesel engines, golfs the same hp as Seat so probable is.
The dpf is a filter that collects soot to keep the emisions low.
Sufficent exaust temperature has to be reached to burn off the soot. This is normally achieved. If not you have to do a regeneration, this involves getting the exaust temp up by taking the car for a run until the warning light goes out or perhaps running it at 2000 rpm for 10 mins they say. If you only do short journeys you will obviously have to to this more often. Problem comes if this regen is not achieved then it has to be reset by the dealer. Could be a bit of a pain but thats the price of low emisions, as canonman said they are all going down the dpf route. Ive bitten the bullet and going for it, as many have said its a great car. If it does become to much of a b*** ache, I will sell it but I am going to give it a real good chance.

Leonidas

The golf and polo have new common rail diesel engines, golfs the same hp as Seat so probable is.
The dpf is a filter that collects soot to keep the emisions low.
Sufficent exaust temperature has to be reached to burn off the soot. This is normally achieved. If not you have to do a regeneration, this involves getting the exaust temp up by taking the car for a run until the warning light goes out or perhaps running it at 2000 rpm for 10 mins they say. If you only do short journeys you will obviously have to to this more often. Problem comes if this regen is not achieved then it has to be reset by the dealer. Could be a bit of a pain but thats the price of low emisions, as canonman said they are all going down the dpf route. Ive bitten the bullet and going for it, as many have said its a great car. If it does become to much of a b*** ache, I will sell it but I am going to give it a real good chance.

Why not go for the 1.4TDi. Have heard of no problems with that!!

Frudo

I dont know if the 1.4tdi has a dpf, (I didnt know the 1.6 had when I ordered it). The 1.4tdi is only available in the S a/c model I wanted the sport. The 1.6tdi has more hp, and better fuel economy according to the stats, The ecomotive is 1.4tdi but cannot be purchased with the extras I wanted.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.