Immobiliser Problems - Please help?

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
ok so my cars been at VRS Motors in coventry, and the immobiliser chip in the key was lost, they tried recoding it and putting a new chip in, but theres a security code which only stealers have,
so the stealers got a new chip, put it on, then they said it needed a new key, so i said ok go for it, NOW they are saying i need a new immobiliser unit @ £505 now i'm fuming, they are chatting crap trying to steal my money, i already haven't had my car for like a week now, now this!

VRS are trying to get the car back to them so they can recode it and do the work themselves! they better do!

i hate SEAT at the moment!

:censored:[:@]

Last edited:

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Jesus i feel for you thats alot of monies you could of gone out and just brought a new mk2 for that. Hope it gets sorted for you soon mate

mate i can buy someone else's immobiliser and put it in!
VRS have taken the car of stealers, and are going to try and programme the key, i hope it works as i am not paying £500 for a new immobiliser, i'll just bloody bypass the crap, then oneday get it fixed lol

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
ok update, VRS got the car back and found out the SEAT messed up my immobiliser unit when they tried to recode the wrong key, but they tried to blag it off, saying it was already broken, now they have been caught they are now liable to fix it, i'm going to milk the crap out of them now, had me thinking what i could sell if i had to buy one!
i hate main dealers!

and who changed my title? it was the truth!

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
you would think Seat can fix, or at least try and fix their own cars....
I wonder what'll happen when they get their hands on trying to fix a non VAG car lol

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
ok so my garage now found out it isn't broke, but it won't communicate with the transponder in the key? so i need a new unit? could i get a unit from scrappies? or wouldn't that work?
i don't wanna pay £600 forget THAT!

OllieL

2.0 16v Cupra Sport GTi
Dec 10, 2006
Birmingham
If it all worked before they lost the immobiliser key then I can't see the problem with the unit?? If the original garage lost the chip then is it not there responsibility?
Is it not just a case or recoding the chip to the ecu with VAGCOM??
I have a spare ecu and abs unit in my garage if that's any good to you?

Ollie

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
If it all worked before they lost the immobiliser key then I can't see the problem with the unit?? If the original garage lost the chip then is it not there responsibility?
Is it not just a case or recoding the chip to the ecu with VAGCOM??
I have a spare ecu and abs unit in my garage if that's any good to you?

Ollie

the chip was my fault, and i admitted that from the start, but i can't also understand the reason for it not communicating with key, i seriously don't know what's happening! i asked the owner of VRS garage if they can bypass the immobiliser altogether, he is amazing with electrical stuff, so is going to give it a go, hopefully save myself £600+.
thanks ollie, it's the immoboliser unit, not the ecu :(

OllieL

2.0 16v Cupra Sport GTi
Dec 10, 2006
Birmingham
Ok
Someone told my dad that there is an ibiza gti in a scrap yard off the A38, so if u really do need an immobiliser unit you could always give that a go?? If not then I know of one in Derby!!

Ollie

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Ok
Someone told my dad that there is an ibiza gti in a scrap yard off the A38, so if u really do need an immobiliser unit you could always give that a go?? If not then I know of one in Derby!!

Ollie

really mate? do you know of the address? if he can't bypass then i think i will have to do that then!
do you know where the unit is? is it behind the dash?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
the chip talks to the ecu via a reader coil, a sort of cap over the ignition barrel end quite a common fault on most VAG models

#5 in diagram

951400.png

worth a try with a 2nd hand one if you are having chip>>box issues but worth noting that the correct chip must be used otherwise you wont get anywhere

Last edited:

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
the chip talks to the ecu via a reader coil, a sort of cap over the ignition barrel end quite a common fault on most VAG models

#5 in diagram

951400.png

worth a try with a 2nd hand one if you are having chip>>box issues but worth noting that the correct chip must be used otherwise you wont get anywhere

thanks alot flapper!
as the garage is saying that the chip won't talk to the ECU, so the the whole unit is broke? which makes no sense, i will give them a call and tell them

thanks alot flapper

and thanks ollie!

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
it's a long shot considering the hassle's you already have had and i'd be leaning towards making sure they are not trying to code the wrong style chip but as it is known for a reader coil to be faulty

keys/chips need recoding all the time and have sold that coil part in past and as yet never known a faulty immob ecu

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
it's a long shot considering the hassle's you already have had and i'd be leaning towards making sure they are not trying to code the wrong style chip but as it is known for a reader coil to be faulty

keys/chips need recoding all the time and have sold that coil part in past and as yet never known a faulty immob ecu

yeah the seat dealer brought a wrong key to start off with, but they say they have the right key now, but it won't communicate with the immob unit? does this sound like the reader coil part?

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
be the cheaper than a guessed ecu and it is the part that feeds the wireless connection from key to ecu via wires

personally i'd be looking at trying one off a 'running' car if possible, be cheaper used too i guess but they are not that expensive iirc

just wondering if there is a way to test it as i have never tried in the past - mmmm

just a thought too - what year is the car ? or better still chassis number (last 8) as build date 97/98 they changed from fixed to rolling code immob so i can give ya details to check if any used ones will be compatible, souds daft but the ecu (#4) in the pic shows both types and they are similar but if worse come to worst you can tell by the bracket (#6 is early / #9 is later one)

used to be either glass/plastic chips for the keys but can never remember which was which in all honesty

Last edited:

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
vag-com might be worthwhile pluggin in as the ecu is seperate (one of 3 in a mk2 ) and might be a measuring block that could be used to tell whats going on comms wise

might plug mine in tomorrow night and check it out if ya still stuck - need to learn some more on it anyway as i have been lazy with it

*edit*

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/download/label-files/6H0-953-257.lbl

ok it is polo but at least gives hope to some testable areas, must admit though part number is for a variable code system that is only fitted 97 on in ibiza's

let me know ya reg/chassis number if you can PM

Last edited:

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
be the cheaper than a guessed ecu and it is the part that feeds the wireless connection from key to ecu via wires

personally i'd be looking at trying one off a 'running' car if possible, be cheaper used too i guess but they are not that expensive iirc

just wondering if there is a way to test it as i have never tried in the past - mmmm

just a thought too - what year is the car ? or better still chassis number (last 8) as build date 97/98 they changed from fixed to rolling code immob so i can give ya details to check if any used ones will be compatible, souds daft but the ecu (#4) in the pic shows both types and they are similar but if worse come to worst you can tell by the bracket (#6 is early / #9 is later one)

used to be either glass/plastic chips for the keys but can never remember which was which in all honesty

my car is a 97, i can PM you my VIN, see i don't know all this stuff lol
god knows about the chip aswell lmao
thanks for all this mate!

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
no probs - learning a few new extra's i can play with on vagcom myself so don't worry :):)

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
ok so i got my car sorted now, i had an earth problem (which was caused by a lose battery, which sheared off the positive terminal from the earth, and i did a DIY bodge job about a month ago, and it slowly killed my immob code from the key etc)

now it has a new earth point, new immob transponder codes, and is working, and running without lag!

yes orange muffin, no more lag, so have a look into it mate, as you and me had the same problems with lag! its running beautifully!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members