in car Xbox

paul26982

as above its too big to go in the glove box so were else could you mount the games console, just got a clear one and in the process of modding it too, so any help will be great :D

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
i stripped mine down.... was gonna put the motherboard and power in a perspex screen on teh passenger floor and then fibreglass teh ring of light in to the dash and mount the cd tray in the ash tray...

i got bored waiting for the longer cable to arrive so i fitted a pc instead

sorry chap

Smee

paul26982

is it hard to take to bits, would it be hard to turn the glove box into the xbox if you know what i mean, any ideas on a location to mount it

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
think there is 6 screws one under each rubber foot and 2 under the silver stickers.. these are torx bits too thats just to piss u off

like comes off easy then release the power cable from beside the hard drive and unscrew the the screws around the dvd drive and the hard drive 3 or 4 if i remember correct which is a smaller torx screw.

then u cna move things around as u wish..

also whilst u got it apart u might aswell whack a chip in there... http://www.kanection.co.uk/ id solder it in if it was going in the car as a solderless likely to pop out

i dunno about ur glove box.. in my fiat there was the heater matrix behind it and taking up half my glove box space so it couldnt go there....

ur gonna struggle trying to get it in as it is as there a big clumsy thing hence why i was gonna strip mine

Smee

paul26982

might strip it yet mate, also guna chip it, might be possible to make it slim line in a custom box with loads of vents for heat

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
few piccies that may help Here

a few :redface: 5 pages actually

yes the main board is under the passenger floor rest is hidden around the dash as i use my boot a lot

i added 2 fans intake and exhaust - seemed fine

xbox was chipped and 80gig hdd and loaded with XBMC media centre (got cd here)

had divx movies and games uploaded to hdd via network cable - never got round to make it wireless

Last edited:

paul26982

i already got 3 screens m8 a 3.5 in the head unit and 2 7'' alpine lcds in the head rests

paul26982

few piccies that may help Here

a few :redface: 5 pages actually

yes the main board is under the passenger floor rest is hidden around the dash as i use my boot a lot

i added 2 fans intake and exhaust - seemed fine

xbox was chipped and 80gig hdd and loaded with XBMC media centre (got cd here)

had divx movies and games uploaded to hdd via network cable - never got round to make it wireless
was it hard to split the bits as fancy the cd tray in the dash etc

paul26982

yeah but like to mod abit instead of just sticking a portable device in as any1 can do that, pics of my car etc is in the photo section, like to personalise my car as much as possible to have somthing different

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Personally I'd go for the easy option and get a PSP or Nintendo DS for my portable gaming.

plug in for nintendo gamecube in the back for the kids when theres a film on or music does that count?

yeah but like to mod abit instead of just sticking a portable device in as any1 can do that, pics of my car etc is in the photo section, like to personalise my car as much as possible to have somthing different
same thing i said when m8's commented just stick it in the boot

plus i wanted controls up front and elec mirror switch was sacrificed for remote control eye

the drive is pretty much the same dimensions as a std PC dvd drive but has a larger hump in the bottom with just fresh air in it and an odd front of course - opened up it enables a mounting to be added into or through it

front panel comes off (clipped) and i was going to make an ashtray front for it to hide it

as for moving the parts about the car - thanks to ebay for spare cables i can cut up and some network cable to extend them one by one (time consuming) the only real limit factor is motherboard IDE cable to both HDD and DVD drive

i had my hdd hidden above the console behind the ashtray and then down the tunnel into the board

Last edited:

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox-tutorials.php

helps but i have a good 100 other links for this'n'that

i have slayers evo-x on an install disc if you need a copy and its a good way to get setup and running - although i believe theres a new version out now

comes loaded with a good few basics the even a noob like me can fumble through

personally i used the hard drive mainly to save the disc jumping - halo is approx 6 gig ripped and in an 80 gig drive and access to delete/add easily you will never run out of space

;) you can even get adult feeds now via xbmc scripts - not that i know how of course ;)

Last edited:

pog2000

I read somewhere about microsoft starting to produce there own chips, that should bring the size of an xbox down to something less than a mobile phone so should make very a very clean ice install.

paul26982

well read alot in this thread and im going to go for it maybe next week when i got time so point me in the right direction were i have to start

paul26982

well i got it sat in the house, maybe next week will give it ago, need an inverter thing.......................................

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.