Installing Cupra Bushes

Bespoke

Dec 13, 2008
Hi all,

Well i am about to embark on fitting some cupra front wishbone (rear) bushes to my mk4 ibiza sport.

Now i fitted some on a mates ibiza a few weeks ago without the correct tooling and to be honest..... never again

Does anyone know the tool code for the insert tool for the bushes???

is this the correct tool

laser tool 4443

trouble is, at 120 quid im tempted to get the garage to do it. thats the first time in 5 years any of my cars will go to the garage, i might make a tool.... although tool bay sell em for 99 quid

hmmmmm. i just dont want to give my car to a garage

Ash_238

Aug 25, 2009
I'm doing mine in a week or so, might be interesting to hear some suggestions.

Personally i was thinking of pressing them in with my vice.

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
A large bench vice can easily press the new bushes in....or even a large G clamp. You'll have to remove the bush consoles to do this. I used a bit of washing up liquid to help the bush slip in :)

Bespoke

Dec 13, 2008
but arent the outers of the cupra bushes metal, they were on the bushes i fitted the other week, i really struggled getting them in

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
Yes they are metal. Aslong as you press them in straight and use a bit of washing up liquid as lube, they should go in fine. I also lightly sanded the inside of the bush console to smooth down the surface

Bespoke

Dec 13, 2008
hmmmm, i almost cried last time though haha!!!

i'll have to hae a moment to myself lol. Then contemplate doing it again haha!!!

Gonna go for powerflex front ones, and new anti roll bar bushes powerflex too i reckon

should stiffen it up.

Bespoke

Dec 13, 2008
i used a winding bar and washers and loads of force, i found it horrible,

splitpin

Nov 22, 2009
I use a bench press for any bushes, it was £99 from machine mart and it will last for many many years, it even came with a spare set of seals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffery

Nov 5, 2009
Yes they are metal. Aslong as you press them in straight and use a bit of washing up liquid as lube, they should go in fine. I also lightly sanded the inside of the bush console to smooth down the surface

I did the same as this yesterday.

Cut through one side out the old bush with a hacksaw and it is easily thumped out. Give the inside a slight sand and i used some wd 40 type stuff as lube. New bush pressed in fairly easy with the vice. Couldn't use the press due to the awkard shape of the console and didnt want to bend it.

Just out of interest did anyone else bother to line up the hexagon centre of the bush with the hexagon pin of the wishbone before pressing in. I did but doubt it matters due to the cupra bushes being solid and having little flex???

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
i used a winding bar and washers and loads of force, i found it horrible,

If you are not sure just remove the consoles, cut out the old bushes, take the consoles and new bushes to a garage and get them to press them in with a hydraulic press

jeffery

Nov 5, 2009
Gonna go for powerflex front ones, and new anti roll bar bushes powerflex too i reckon

should stiffen it up.

The front bush on mine didnt need changed and i bought new arb bushes but the old ones actually werent too bad, could have left them if i really wanted.

I notised a huge difference with after fitting the rear cupra ones - no more clattering while driving over country roads :D . Certainly worth doing.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I do most stuff myself but thought sack that with these bushes, think i got charged 60 quid for fitting of them, so not too bad!

Aye, me too, I had already read too many sad stories on Briskoda - someone did try to market a tool to do this job on the car, I believe the VAG tooling makes use of the small front bush bolt holes to keep the alignment true. I stuffed a suggestion on the Laser Tools user's feedback forum about them launching a suitable tool about 3 or so years ago - if they have now launched a tool, that is good news.

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
The place that fitted mine said they were really easy to press into the wishbones and they just used a bench vice. they said that because the casings are metal on these and not plastic they just aligned themselves and went straight in with lube. He did mention the standard crappy plastic cased ones you had to get it bang on otherwise they cracked and you were buggered! Think when he worked for VW he used the tool you mention but now with his own place he says he just orders in these cupra bushes now for polos, ibizas and vrs' when new rear wishbone bushes need fitting haha

Ash_238

Aug 25, 2009
Whilst were on the subject of fitting Cupra Bushes, whats the torque settings for the wishbones & the hub which bolts to the wishbone.

I might ask Seat when i go to collect them, but you guys probably know just as much, if not more. :)

I looked at a copy of Autodata i've got, but its not as detailed as the full version. :(

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Whilst were on the subject of fitting Cupra Bushes, whats the torque settings for the wishbones & the hub which bolts to the wishbone.

My electronic ElsaWin manual says :

Wishbone to ball joint bolts ( Qty 3 ) = 20nm + 1/4 turn
Ball joint to hub nut ( Qty 1 ) = 20nm + 1/4 turn

Wishbone retaining M12 front bolt = 100nm + 1/4 turn

Consol M10 bolts = 50nm + 1/4 turn
Consol M12 bolts = 75nm + 1/4 turn

Droplink bolts = 40nm

Bespoke

Dec 13, 2008
good ingo there deano, where did you get elsawin from?

Im gonna take the consoles off and do it myself. I love this **** lol. Cant bring myself to take it to the garage, nothing to do with money, i just love doing it.

Plus now i have a brake light switch to change as i had the flahsing coil come up and my lights stuck on!!!

More time in the garage for me lol

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise