Intermittent front wipers don't work anymore

peterbIbiza

Hi everyone, just joined the forum but I've had my 2003 reg Ibiza 1.9 TD1 130 for a few years now, great little car but the intermittent wiper function is a problem!

Back in August 2008 the intermittent wiper function stopped working, but all of the other front & back wiper functions worked just fine. I took it to a Seat dealer and they gave it a diagnostic test (£90), which showed a fault on the R&I Control Unit. I had this replaced for another £430!! but at least it solved the problem, until today that is, when the same problem has re-appeared.

Does anyone know if there could be a different cause of this problem, or maybe something else is causing the control unit to fail. I asked the Seat dealer this very question in 2008 and he said the diagnostic report was all they have to go on and that showed the faulty control unit.

Sorry for going on a bit but I don't like the thought of anoher £430 or more again.

Regards,

Peter

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
mine did this a while back...i took it in under warrenty work and they played around with some wires and it came back on? very strange..

is the work they performed on it not under warranty itself? Apart from that I have no idea...sorry

Welcome anyway

peterbIbiza

Thanks Knight85,

My car itself doesn't have a warranty and as the work done was 18 months ago I am not sure if any warranty on the parts anf fitting extends that far. I know it didn't say anything about warranty on the sales invoice, but I seem to recall something like 12 months told to me verbally at the time.

It sounds like I need to book it in with the small company I use, who do great work for a fair price, rather than Seat.

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
Thanks Knight85,

My car itself doesn't have a warranty and as the work done was 18 months ago I am not sure if any warranty on the parts anf fitting extends that far. I know it didn't say anything about warranty on the sales invoice, but I seem to recall something like 12 months told to me verbally at the time.

It sounds like I need to book it in with the small company I use, who do great work for a fair price, rather than Seat.

Seat charge excessive amounts. If its gonna cost a lot, is it worth paying it, and just living with no int wipers?

peterbIbiza

Problem solved

I took the car to a small garage that I have used a lot and they investigated, but found it was an electrical problem that they couldn't handle. The brought in an Auto Electricial and he found that it was a wiring fault and fixed it.

The bill? £60! Great.

Cheers, Peter

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.