is this regarded as lip mode?

corradophil

Sep 14, 2004
Essex
Depends how much it will stretch, the diameter needs to be different at each end to suit the pipes it joins on too.

By the way this pipe will see full boost pressure, on mine that is 1.3bar, so a substantial repair or replacement is whats required long term.

Last edited:

corradophil

Sep 14, 2004
Essex
Does anyone know if silicon hose can be heated say in a cup of boiling water to soften and stretch it? Does it have fabric reinforcement?

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Longman, fingers crossed for you. As my pipe was quite bad the surrounding area had an oily resedue, it was this that made me look further.

Well, must admit I am dissapointed to find a totaly clean engine bay and no splits. I had the secondary cover away and loosened the plate to get underneath.

Saw the pipe, it was clean, no oil or any splits anywhere.....

Back to square 1 for me. :cry:

wilksy

tfsi
Aug 13, 2005
oxford
Depends how much it will stretch, the diameter needs to be different at each end to suit the pipes it joins on too.

By the way this pipe will see full boost pressure, on mine that is 1.3bar, so a substantial repair or replacement is whats required long term.

1.3 bar? you had a remap then?
and about the hoses , it seems to be 6-10mm but the ends are different
sizes one being the same as the hose and the other more 11-16mm and i havent found any reducers at that size.

corradophil

Sep 14, 2004
Essex
Richybigman, cool that could be the way forward then.

Longman, did you check the section of hose covered by the rubber strap. The split in mine was within this and facing the plastic valve, so I only saw the damage when I removed the hose.

Wilksy, yes it's revo'd. I don't suppose you measured the two internal diameters of the hose did you? I didn't because at the time I thought I would just repair it, or replace it with a new one. Yea the hose in your link is the one I replaced when I bought the car, the breather hose which splits into two.

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Hi Phil

I didn't check that section. We had a massive storm last night so i was racing against the rain to check it.

I will have to have a better look at the weekend when its sunny to fully make sure. If yours was covered up, it might explain why the hesitation/air leak (if they are linked) are intermittant!!

Back on it on saturday then.... I will let you know. In the mean time, good luck with the silicon hose.

My only concern with cutting from a length to suit is that the bends at either end might kink unless they are bent properly from stock like the current one....

Thanks for your advise mate!

wilksy

tfsi
Aug 13, 2005
oxford
Wilksy, yes it's revo'd. I don't suppose you measured the two internal diameters of the hose did you? I didn't because at the time I thought I would just repair it, or replace it with a new one. Yea the hose in your link is the one I replaced when I bought the car, the breather hose which splits into two.

no mate i havent actually taken the hose off as yet i did the bodge while connected. i may do so this weekend as my valve plugs are very tuff and dont wanna budge so i need more time to have another go.but on the plus side the blue tape repair has worked a treat so far :D

corradophil

Sep 14, 2004
Essex
Update, the hose let go in another place last night! I've patcched it up for now, but have a new one on order from the VW stealers.

06A103221BK is the latest part number, they are charging £12.41 inc VAT.

For anyone thinking of trying to obatain a hose elsewhere the inside diameters of the the hose are 7mm and 14mm.

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Jesus... That hose is not up to much is it?

That makes me think that its the same problem that so many others are having and just can't see the pipe. I am looking forward to having a proper look at mine on saturday now.

Thanks for the P/N and price Phil...Great help!

wilksy

tfsi
Aug 13, 2005
oxford
the reason he knew is we have been investigating this hestitation problem for few months and happened to notice a bit pf oil near the pipe.
now i been told by my dealer that its no use fiiting a better quality pipe as
it will just fail aswell

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
That seems like a bit of a cop out by the dealer.... So the engine is doomed for failure from the start then?

What if you were to fit an aluminium pipe?

I just wondered how Phil know the second time, that it had gone in a different place. Wondered if there was a hiss or something if its under preasure??

wilksy

tfsi
Aug 13, 2005
oxford
yeah see what you mean if i were to buy an alloy pipe and put the right size hoses each end surely that would hold 10 times longer than the crappy thing they put on from the factory. i think phill only knows where its gone by feeling the same syptoms and looking in the same area.unfortunatly mine has come back as well but my repair was more of a bodge despite being under less boost. i think im gonna look at a couple of websites to see what alloy pipes i can get and 90degree hose bends to fit in there, as it seems the only way to sort this

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
I reckon you will need a seal of some kind on both ends of an ali pipe. Perhaps with a rubber insert in each end with the jubilee clip to clamp it.

Silicon mate. I'd give that a go and see how long it lasts....Definitely stronger than the oem rubber one!!!

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Just a quick update boys!!

I had the plate off as per Phil's instructions on Saturday. Checked the pipe in question along with all the others, and definietely no splits. However, when reconnecting it to the green plastic nozzle on the block end, replaced the single use clamp with a jubilee clip.

I saw from your Pic Phil, that you got yours off with the clamp still on, as I did. This would say to me that it was too loose. There was a bit of oil mist around the end of the pipe on mine, suggesting a leak.

Anyway, back together. I also cleaned the Throttle Body out with WD40. There was a lot of oil resdue on the Inlet Manifold side of the butterfly valve which was nice to get off.

Since then, the car has been boosting harder and has, so far, had no instances of hesitation.

I can also hear the DV a bit more than I used to. This would say to me that there is more boost present (No leaks anymore).

So guys. Just wanted to say thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!

wilksy

tfsi
Aug 13, 2005
oxford
yeah nice spot phil. im gonna have to replace mine i think cos my hestitation just got worse and is more noticable than ever! i also noticed that the split pipe that phil has replaced actually joins up to the pipe below the manifold and is definatly what is causing my hesitation.

wilksy

tfsi
Aug 13, 2005
oxford
just wondering weather to go custom and rework the piping or just by oem and do direct replacement. what do you guys think

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members