knocking noise from front strut?

deanomx206

got a mk3 ibiza cupra,
it had coilovers on before and iv now replace them with some standard suspension that i got off ebay
the guy said they were only on the car for a year and then removed!
now theyve been fitted and everything seemed ok
once it was all back together i now gettin a knock/clunk noise everytime i hit a speed bump doing 20mph or more
it seems to me its coming from the front driverside strut
any ideas what it could be?
local garage said it could be the top mount? i think it might be the damper not rebounding properly?
any ideas before i start throwing money at it replacing parts that might not need changing?

Daymo

Low and Slow..
Jul 22, 2008
Scarborough/Sheffield
did you put new topmounts on the car when you changed the suspension back over?? if the bearings are knackered then it will clunk when you turn the wheel, and it may be the same when you go over a bump aswell. dont qute me on this but i think that could be your problem.

deanomx206

no the top mounts were on the car with the coilovers... look standard though so i used them with the new set up?
how could you tell if it was the top mount?
i dont really notice a clunk when turning just if i hit a bump in the road or a speed bump it makes a clunk!

deanomx206

clunking constantly or just when you hit a bump?
only thing that worrys me is that it makes a vibrating kind of noise too as in wheel bearing or driveshaft?
could it be the driveshaft being fooked hence the vibratinng noise and then the clunk when i hit bumps?
how much is a new top mount

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.