Leon Cupra UK Launch Date

Maverick88

Oct 19, 2006
Devon
Sorry if this question has already been asked, but in the next couple of weeks I will be ordering the Leon FR TFSI as my new company car, but I see that the Cupra version is due to be released soon, does anyone know a date yet as I may hold off on ordering the FR, just in case I get a chance of a Cupra.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
A small snippet of info that's come my way today.

SEAT have decided to delay production of the new Leon Cupra by 1 month. Spain have apparently decided to re-style the Cupra's look to be more aggressively styled, to differentiate it from the other Leon's in the current range.

Very interesting news and seems criticism by customers/dealers has been taken note of.

No idea as yet of what they plan to do, maybe more info will surface in the next month or so, regarding a European launch.

UK time frames were based on a lead time of late December/early Jan 2007, now with the delay, demo's are expected in February 2007, just in time for customers to receive theirs in March for new registrations.

jetsetjimbo

a.k.a James
Jun 12, 2005
J2 M5
That's what we like to hear. Manufacturers listening to customer feedback.

I think a little dose of extra aggression is exactly what the new cupra needed!

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
I rekon...

Front: Front splitter - possibly new cupra flag badge and deeper spoiler.

Side: Skirts (similar if not the same as the aero kit).

Rear: More "chiseled" rear bumper and new cupra flag badge - also bigger rear roof spoiler.

Pure guessing of course. ;)

Scott

20vtB0b

Cupra R - No looking back
Mar 25, 2003
Woking
Visit site
I won't say I told you so ;) (about it not looking sporty enough that is).

All those people who were happy with the old 'new' shape, I wonder what they will think about the new 'new' shape.

Bob

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Why did you say something? ;) I mustn't of been paying that much attention.

I was quite content with how it looked already, and given the timescales involved, don't expect them to wheel out a complete new car, just re-styled.

Eri

Oct 7, 2006
I wonder if this information is correct. I ordered the new cupra two weeks
ago and got a phonecall from my dealer that the production of my car will be
in week 46.:happy: That's why i dont think there will be any changes on
the new cupra. Overhere in Holland the prices, specifications and options
were published two weeks ago and i recon that they wouldn't publish
anything if there would be any changes i the pipeline that would change the car. (significantly)

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
This is UK info you realise, so though you have your order placed, and an estimated build date, we in the UK are nearly always 2 months behind Europe and have a very different spec list.

Like the Cupra R for example in Europe was without Brembo's and 18" wheels, yet in the UK these were standard.

By SEAT's own admission, the UK market is an important one for the Cupra and FR range, UK are the biggest consumers of Cupra's in Europe.

Eri

Oct 7, 2006
Okay, i didn't realize that. But none the less i would be very suprice when
seat would alter the basic specifications (i mean shape of frontspoiler etc)
for the UK market within 2 month after it's introduction in the rest of
Europe. BTW in holland Brembo's will be an option but not available until
March 2007.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Okay, i didn't realize that. But none the less i would be very suprice when
seat would alter the basic specifications (i mean shape of frontspoiler etc)
for the UK market within 2 month after it's introduction in the rest of
Europe. BTW in holland Brembo's will be an option but not available until
March 2007.

Yup but i've not suggested they are changing the front spoiler, everyone is simply guessing, or deciding what they think they'll change.

But needless to say, its been delayed. In fact a load of journalists got to try out the car recently in Spain, and the main critcism that came from this preview, was it looked to much like the FR, it appears that SEAT have decided to make some alterations.

You would be surprised just how much SEAT alter specifications in different markets, they've been doing it for years, so its nothing new that they are making subtle alterations even at this late stage. Europe and UK will get very different specifications and options, they always have.

Here in the UK, SEAT have tradtionally sold their cars as a package with only a few options, in Europe they have been offered with a more basic spec, but with greater options. Most of Europe will drive on the right in left hand drive, meaning a higher percentage of SEAT's build output is to serve Europe as a whole.

The UK driving on the left and right hand drive, may have a greater proportion of Cupra/FR sales per population, yet as a whole only add up to a small percentage of SEAT's total build output, so if they are tooling for RHD cars, they tend to do them altogether all to a specific spec using the same tooling, they know they can sell them and they are not building cars that may not sell.

Folks are getting the wrong end of the stick, and thinking they are going to wheel out a completely re-designed car. Its not that drastic, and the delay probably won't even affect Europe.

I notice on the Netherlands website, that they have no updated images of the Cupra, they are using the same press images that were shown, when the car made its world preview debut in London.

Last edited:

20vtB0b

Cupra R - No looking back
Mar 25, 2003
Woking
Visit site
But needless to say, its been delayed. In fact a load of journalists got to try out the car recently in Spain, and the main critcism that came from this preview, was it looked to much like the FR, it appears that SEAT have decided to make some alterations.

They could have saved themselves some money, and got the re-work done a lot earlier if they had just read the comments on here when it was announced ;) Z you should offer SCNs services as a design review authority to Seat :)

Bob

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Typical they go and restyle it now I've put my deposit down on another car. Thats gonna cost them a fair packet as they will have to scrap all the current UK marketing literature and work on the new styling pack.

TBH well done to them as its about time they made the car a differentiated product from the other mass market units. There was an article in Autocar the other week saying you cant tell the difference between a BMW 550i M Sport and a 525i anymore, and they thought it was scandalous that the poor relations shared the same exhaust configuration from rear view, and obviously styling in from the M sport pack. OK so when you plant your foot you have the differentiator but it is a bit rich.

Well done to SEAT for actually opening their ears. Hopefully Audi will do the same shortly and spec the RS4 alloys as an option for UK S models like they do in Germany so I don't have to buy aftermarket ones.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
They could have saved themselves some money, and got the re-work done a lot earlier if they had just read the comments on here when it was announced ;) Z you should offer SCNs services as a design review authority to Seat :)

Bob

What i didn't add to that, as it was late and i was tired, was those same journalist's, praised the car for its performance and handling, and said it was far better than the FR. So they have been fiddling with something, its not just a badge. ;)

spyke85

I Like Cheese!
Oct 26, 2003
Bolton
Visit site
Well done to SEAT for actually opening their ears. Hopefully Audi will do the same shortly and spec the RS4 alloys as an option for UK S models like they do in Germany so I don't have to buy aftermarket ones.

Could you not get the dealer to do an after-sales swap for them so to speak, so you still have genuine Audi ones? I know one has been done where I work on an A3 for a customer.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.