Leon speaker upgrade

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
After wheels (soon :p), reckon better sounds are next.
I heard ktulumike's install recently with new head unit, Infinity speakers, new cabling and a serious sub - AWESOME :worship::rocker:
I wondered if anyone has upgraded speakers alone? I know standard speaker wire and the OE head unit will limit the improvements but I just want a quick fix for a bit more bass and less distortion at volume.
Any help?

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Not the popular opinion on here but I disagree, the standard speakers are fine. I think the MFD3 has improved sound, but it's an extreme option! This is after having had after market speakers in and ripping them out. I'd just go down the sub route.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Not the popular opinion on here but I disagree, the standard speakers are fine. I think the MFD3 has improved sound, but it's an extreme option! This is after having had after market speakers in and ripping them out. I'd just go down the sub route.

depends what you want mate? , better speakers will give a better handling power and also better control of bass ect , but then the weak link will be the head unit clipping with higher volumes , its a bit bit like modding your car , replace or upgrade the next weakest link.

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
depends what you want mate? , better speakers will give a better handling power and also better control of bass ect , but then the weak link will be the head unit clipping with higher volumes , its a bit bit like modding your car , replace or upgrade the next weakest link.

Hmmm yes I suppose the head unit will struggle near its max output which isnt much lol
I just had the thought put in my head that upgrading speakers was a waste of money unless the factory bellwire was also improved :confused:

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
TBH i don't understand people who spend £150 + on speakers, £300 on a headunit, £200 on an amp .... and then insist on using the factory speaker wiring - i just leave it in place so i can refit the OE stuff when i sell the car.

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
TBH i don't understand people who spend £150 + on speakers, £300 on a headunit, £200 on an amp .... and then insist on using the factory speaker wiring - i just leave it in place so i can refit the OE stuff when i sell the car.

Exactly what Im getting at, thanks Pat :)
Hate the thought of routing cable but I suppose if it makes a difference . . . . . . .

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Exactly what Im getting at, thanks Pat :)
Hate the thought of routing cable but I suppose if it makes a difference . . . . . . .

Routing cables isn't that hard, it's just time consuming - same as people who fit 4awg amp wire - why not run the best / thickest you can get so you only do the job once, the same reason i always run 3 pairs of RCA etc etc - i don't want to a job more than once :)

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
Many moons back I had Infinity speakers in my old Scirocco. They were top notch then and if they have mantained their standards will be in the current market.

I would suggest uprating the speakers with standard cabling for ease first to check for improvement.

Secondly I would upgrade the speaker wiring.

As for subs and HU, really depends on what you want for your unit. (If you just want good solid/clean sound without distortion, the standard HU with good cabling and speakers should be fine and the cheapest option)

You can always upgrade the HU and add amps/subs later if the mood takes you :)

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
My leon instal will be done very shortly , you should know Dave i ordered the double din surround from you on Friday lol.

i am upgrading the front only speakers to jl audio c5 components , baffles made up and painted , power cable , speaker wires done , just need to do the rca runs and dynamat the doors , false floor been done for ages now waiting on Dave lol.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Rca cables run last night , took my drivers seat out , made life so much easier to run the cables.
going to dynamat my doors tonight as long as it doesnt rain.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
I'll be having my other door card off on Saturday to fit my last C pillar.. I'll measure it for you then! :)

Dont get me started on those crappy door cards on the front doors [:@]

the speaker when mounted is quite close to the glass when the window is down iirc.
I have run new speaker wires to the front doors to change the whole speaker system , you cant use the boot that already exists between door and car beacuse it uses a connector block at the car side and there is no way to poke a cable through.
So you have to use the black grommets which are nearer towards the front wing , just be carefull you dont pop one out as they are a right :censored: pain in the ass to get back in.

I have made 24mm mdf speaker baffles to mount my speakers onto hopefully this will give me the clearance i need , will be fitted later today so will post back later.

Rob.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members