Looking at a used Ibiza

pompeydave

Nov 30, 2017
Hi Sly870
I noticed your Mrs mobile has a newer style fiesta , how do you think that compares to a 1.0tsi Ibiza ?
Temped to buy another fiesta or fancy an Ibiza ?

Sly870

Jan 10, 2021
Hi Sly870
I noticed your Mrs mobile has a newer style fiesta , how do you think that compares to a 1.0tsi Ibiza ?
Temped to buy another fiesta or fancy an Ibiza ?

Heya,

Uhm, so I bought a 2006 Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 in Aug '19 and this '20 1.0T in March '20.

Amazing car, build quality is top notch. Nippy for a 125PS car. But I don't want a 3rd Ford hahaha

I enjoyed my VW Polo a few years back in South Africa so would like to get back into a VW but I don't like the current shape Polo so Ibiza was a second choice, also cost comes into mind. Want to try something different but worried about Seat build quailty as I have never experienced it..

the car above was manual so assumed thats what you was after.

this is not bad. extra £1k but fully worth it for the extras.

Oh, that's nice. Thanks for that!

pompeydave

Nov 30, 2017
Yeah I agree on the build quality part , my old 2014 Leon was a bit iffy with lots of squeaks and rattles but good mechanically . Just wondering how the Ibiza compares to the fiesta , I do like the new fiestas and was looking at a st-line Mhev 125 or 155 vs Ibiza 110/115 Fr .

robby71

Sep 3, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
Yeah I agree on the build quality part , my old 2014 Leon was a bit iffy with lots of squeaks and rattles but good mechanically . Just wondering how the Ibiza compares to the fiesta , I do like the new fiestas and was looking at a st-line Mhev 125 or 155 vs Ibiza 110/115 Fr .

I've had several Fiestas including 3 MK8 models (current shape) - build quality is shocking, paint is very thin so chips too easy, 2 of mine had new headlights as the plastic brackets snap off, head units keep going blank, numerous electrical problems, quite a few gearboxes have been replaced at low mileages (look on the fiesta forums), mpg averages 36mpg (Ibiza does 46mpg on same runs).
I had 2x 125bhp and a 140bhp which i liked until it hit 1100 miles then came the EML 3 times a week, had new O2 sensors (x2), ECU, BCM, wiring harness so i got rid :(

pompeydave

Nov 30, 2017
I've had several Fiestas including 3 MK8 models (current shape) - build quality is shocking, paint is very thin so chips too easy, 2 of mine had new headlights as the plastic brackets snap off, head units keep going blank, numerous electrical problems, quite a few gearboxes have been replaced at low mileages (look on the fiesta forums), mpg averages 36mpg (Ibiza does 46mpg on same runs).
I had 2x 125bhp and a 140bhp which i liked until it hit 1100 miles then came the EML 3 times a week, had new O2 sensors (x2), ECU, BCM, wiring harness so i got rid :(
That's some serious issues there robby , I guess you'd recommend the Ibiza all day long then ?
I have heard VAG cars are better on fuel than ford , Vauxhall etc. My Leon was fantastic , just didn't have much get up and go but was only a 1.2tsi 105hp.
I currently drive an Astra 1.6t and looking to downsize to an Ibiza size etc. FR trim in 95/115 looks the best to me for round town trips that make up about 99% of my driving.

robby71

Sep 3, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
That's some serious issues there robby , I guess you'd recommend the Ibiza all day long then ?
I have heard VAG cars are better on fuel than ford , Vauxhall etc. My Leon was fantastic , just didn't have much get up and go but was only a 1.2tsi 105hp.
I currently drive an Astra 1.6t and looking to downsize to an Ibiza size etc. FR trim in 95/115 looks the best to me for round town trips that make up about 99% of my driving.
I don't stick to any 1 brand as i like a change (currently on car number 91), had a lot of Fords, VWs, Audis, Vauxhalls, BMWs, etc and must say the latest models (from last 3-4 years) have been the most problematic. I've had lots of electrical issues and as cars have so many sensors it's not easy to pinpoint the problem straight off. Paint is shocking on most newer cars due to it being water based to save the planet :rolleyes: which means chips and swirls make a 1 year old car look much older. Rattles galore on many cars due to the mass amount of hard plastics now used on interiors and lack of sound deadening to save weight.

The 125bhp Fiestas felt a lot slower than my 115bhp Ibiza so they had to be pushed harder to get up hills, etc, the 140bhp felt on par with the Ibiza as it had slightly different gear ratios (i think it was 1second quicker to 60 than the 125models?) so that would be the 1 to look at if you decided on a Fiesta or the new phew models which are supposed to be nippier (haven't driven any of them).

If you want something slightly older then i'd recommend a Polo GT (had 2 of them) - 140bhp, Cylinder On Demand (COD) so 47-49mpg was my average around town.

I had a T-Cross for a couple of months, same engine as the Ibiza but a lot slower which was probably down to lack of aerodynamics? - being the R-Line in white it was a looker but every door and panel creaked on bends and crappy roads - shocking for a SUV which i expected to soak up the bumps (had 3 Freelander 2s which were so comfy) which is why i got rid

pompeydave

Nov 30, 2017
Thanks robby for that very informative reply.
Sounds like you've had a good handful of cars over the years and seen them go downhill in some areas ie paint quality/interior plastic quality.
I've had my fair share of fords and vauxhalls and what strikes me most is the standard equipment that they gradually take off .Vauxhall so tight in later years taking away boot lights etc etc .
I also looked at the T-cross and T-roc , liked the look of them outside but again quality inside wasn't particularly good.
Seems VAG group have taken a dip with this compared to say 2010 cars.

I suppose most cars are the same these days and it's just what you fancy to drive.

I know what car I get ill be wishing I went for something else but just need to go for it and stop farting around lol.

robby71

Sep 3, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
Thanks robby for that very informative reply.
Sounds like you've had a good handful of cars over the years and seen them go downhill in some areas ie paint quality/interior plastic quality.
I've had my fair share of fords and vauxhalls and what strikes me most is the standard equipment that they gradually take off .Vauxhall so tight in later years taking away boot lights etc etc .
I also looked at the T-cross and T-roc , liked the look of them outside but again quality inside wasn't particularly good.
Seems VAG group have taken a dip with this compared to say 2010 cars.

I suppose most cars are the same these days and it's just what you fancy to drive.

I know what car I get ill be wishing I went for something else but just need to go for it and stop farting around lol.

Yep cost cutting = lower quality trims, etc, great to get a newish car cheap but not so when driving it with rattles, etc.
I get bored very quick with cars and after 2 months tend to look at others (thanks ebay, auto trader) - at 3 months i'm picking up a replacement, 2 weeks later spending money "tarting it up" as i want it different then the process starts again.

The longest i've owned a car is 13 months, that was a Mini Cooper S Works 210 (last year), had it remapped to 276bhp, fitted all genuine Mini pro extras inside/out, loved the car but thought i'd done everything i wanted and started to lose interest - traded that in for the T-cross and regretted it ever since :(
Can't imaging the future when all cars are electric - no engine or exhaust noise, no soul?

The Ibiza FR Sport i have now is a nice car though, nippy enough around town, cheap to run (just filled up after 370 miles for £38). I chose the Sport for the digital dash and the alcantara seats - very nice, shame they didn't fit even a rear spoiler on this model but that's in the pipeline :) would be great if they did a Cupra version with a 2.0 but i doubt they want to carry on with hot hatches?

Couple of pics

100_2471.jpgnoplate.jpg 100_2175.jpgnoplate.jpg 100_2567.JPG 100_2625.jpgnoplate.jpg

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@robby71; wow, 91 cars - that’s a lot. I’m on number 17 which I thought was quite a lot, and that’s in 44 years of driving 😅. In my youth, I used to keep my cars for two years. I now keep them for 4-5 years and I’m next due to change in 2024 or 2025, so there‘s a good chance my next car will be an EV.

I agree with you on build quality - it’s all about maximising profits for car manufacturers, so it’s not surprising if they skimp on the quality of certain parts. I’d say the VW I owned in the early noughties (a mk4 Golf) felt special and quite premium compared to the competition. It also felt more solid and better built than my current VW, and there was also less to go wrong too. It’s likely I’ll be investing in an extended warranty when my current car gets to three years old as I don’t fancy being saddled with the cost of replacing items like a DSG transmission, the ‘brains’ of the infotainment system or the digital instrument cluster If they happen to fail after three years.

pompeydave

Nov 30, 2017
SRGTD quite agree on the expensive items possibly failing. On the Astra k owners site (been a member for years) there seems to be a trend of infotainment screens failing on 2017/18 cars. Vauxhall want massive £££ but looking around you can buy them about 1/2 price of main dealer but still an annoying amount of dosh.

robby71 that's quite a selection of cars you've had , that mini looks a cracker. Have to say the Ibiza doesn't look out of place with those other cars.

You can't win by the looks of it , if you want better quality buy a 6 yr old car but you lose the reliability of a new car.

Boris and his gang want us all in electric cars in the next 10 years but at the moment stupid prices and as you said robby absolutely no soul.

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
My Ibiza has done just under 30k now in 2 years and it's still rock solid. There are rattles- but it's the crap in the car not the car itself haha

Now it's warmed up a bit I'm averaging over 50mpg- but that's lots of motorway driving.

Sly870

Jan 10, 2021

Very odd, not a single issue on ours and we getting nearly 60MPG from our 125PS.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.