MK1 Leon GT2x Build - thats it folks

jamiebennett81

well it's begun....

just ordered my ATP GT2x with the ATP tip as well - £1065 (they now have stock so a couple of weeks for delivery)

I have put prices next to everything so people get an exact idea of how much this all costs for a complete and proper stg3 setup

Engine modifications already in place for the install:

Carbonio CAI (on car when purchased) about £160 from AwesomeGTI
Pro Alloy FMIC (£500)
Forge 007p (on car when purchased) about £90 from Forge Motorsport
Evo Gasket (£65) from Badger5 www.badger5.co.uk - Bill Brockbank
Blueflame Turbo back exhaust (100 cell race cat, about £450) from Blueflame direct
Forge TIP (2nd hand abut £100)
Spec Stg3 clutch with lightened flywheel - £750 (from TTSRoadsport www.ttsroadsport.co.uk)

Sitting in my bedroom at the moment:

225 Injectors (purchased from Backdraft Motorsport £100)
turbo gaskets with all new bolts and fittings (from Seat direct about £45)
JBS Tubular Manifold (from JBS £500)
ATP GT2x (from Dawson Autosport) + (Hybrid treatment from CR Turbos www.crturbos.co.uk for £160)
Spec of Hybrid turbo - Larger compressor wheel, re-profiled housing, 360 degree thrust bearing
ATP TIP (from Dawson Autosport)
Manifold gaskets and all new bolts (From Seat direct about £40)
3" MAF (ordered from TTS Roadsport for £33)
Walbro Inline Fuel pump (ordered from the US on Ebay for approximately £70)
4 bar fpr (off a member on here for £35)
4 new Hitachi *Bolt Down* Coil Packs (from Seat direct £119)

once everything is in place the tuner is yet to be decided, AMD or P-Torque (Vendor is now chosen, but I am not saying which one :D)

more updates to follow over the coming weeks/months, along with pics, but thought I would kick this one off for people to watch my progress on this

here are a couple of pics of items to go on:

JBS Manifold

Image035.jpg

Image036.jpg

225 injectors:

Image046.jpg

watch this space.....:)

Last edited by a moderator:

jamiebennett81

good luck mate you should enjoy it are thinking of doing engine internals?

no mate, the turbo at max will be pushing 300bhp (have not seen many gt2x's pushing more than this), and I understand from reading other BT thread (as the gt2x is not really a BT) that the Seat engine is good for about 330bhp max before internals have to be looked at

The one thing, and probably most important cost I have not factored into the above is the clutch

I know for sure that this will need replacing, and probably very shortly after, so will investigate this soon, or when it starts to slip post install

I will see if AMD can do a boost controller as well

The MoffMeister

Half Hoff, Half Moff.
Apr 4, 2006
colchester
yeah get an elcetronic boost controller before mapping they make so much difference and its so much smoother its great, i wondered about the internals as you'll soon get bored and want bigger turbo eventually lol

i can put you in touch with someone who can get sachs clutches cheaper than you'll get through companies all legit to, i have one and it was good price also if your doing clutch dont forget a dual mass flywheel and a slave cylinder i think its called

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Are you sure your internals are good for 330 bhp?
I know the LCR are 'supposed' to be good for this but believe these are stronger than the Cupra ones?
Good to see the real cost of these things. Hope all goes well

jamiebennett81

yeah get an elcetronic boost controller before mapping they make so much difference and its so much smoother its great, i wondered about the internals as you'll soon get bored and want bigger turbo eventually lol

i can put you in touch with someone who can get sachs clutches cheaper than you'll get through companies all legit to, i have one and it was good price also if your doing clutch dont forget a dual mass flywheel and a slave cylinder i think its called

if you could pm me with those clutch details, that would be much appreciated

I will see what AMD say on monday, with all the different aspects that are to be factored in i.e. boost controller etc

thanks for the initial response:)

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Are you sure your internals are good for 330 bhp?
I know the LCR are 'supposed' to be good for this but believe these are stronger than the Cupra ones?
Good to see the real cost of these things. Hope all goes well

i hope so ;)

upto 330 odd is about the "safe" limit on a solid lc 20vt engine. but you never know.

mines done 12k miles so far. and theres others doing fine too.

touch wood ;)

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
you might find your induction may not flow enough for bt. youd need a 225 air box with panel filter as a min if you get problems:)

caveo

arr yes i think i read somewhere that the bedroom mounted manifold adds at least 100bhp lol.

jamiebennett81

you might find your induction may not flow enough for bt. youd need a 225 air box with panel filter as a min if you get problems:)

the carbonio is more than large enough in diameter from what I have been told

I would not class the gt2x as BT, that is more IHI or GT28RS and anything bigger

in real world terms the gt2x will most likely be pushing about 280 - 290 (300 absolute max) so will be fine with the internals:)

waiting for pay day now, and the fuel pump, 4bar fpr and other bits will be ordered in readiness for the turbo

want to get it all done asap really:D

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
sounds like a good project. will you need a reducer pipe to fit the carbonio to the larger 80mm MAF?

jamiebennett81

sounds like a good project. will you need a reducer pipe to fit the carbonio to the larger 80mm MAF?

I thought the 3" MAF fits onto the ATP Tip?

so the ATP tip will go onto my Carbonio, and the MAF goes onto the ATP tip?

**EDIT** just realised the ATP kit comes with all the turbo gaskets etc, DOH!!, oh well, can always sell them on

Last edited by a moderator:

jamiebennett81

no, your TIP goes from the turbo to the MAF then the carbonio fits onto the other side of the MAF. :)

im confused now, because I bought the ATP tip to specifically house the larger 3" MAF as the Forge TIP wont house the 3" MAF?:confused:

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Carbonio is 76mm and larger MAF is 80mm, so a 76mm silicone joiner will join both together no problem, the Carbonio is big enough and will not be a restriction, I run a 3" inlet right from filter to turbo, plenty big enough.

You will not see 300 from a GT2X, most get around the 285bhp max, don't think it can physically flow any more than that (unless you use a Dynojet then you'll get 300whp easily - lol!), but you should see around 300lbft of torque which is more important than a peak bhp figure.

ATP rate the GT2X to 290bhp max. The new GT28R Elim. is rated to 300+, the GTRS 350 max.

jamiebennett81

Carbonio is 76mm and larger MAF is 80mm, so a 76mm silicone joiner will join both together no problem, the Carbonio is big enough and will not be a restriction, I run a 3" inlet right from filter to turbo, plenty big enough.

You will not see 300 from a GT2X, most get around the 285bhp max, don't think it can physically flow any more than that (unless you use a Dynojet then you'll get 300whp easily - lol!), but you should see around 300lbft of torque which is more important than a peak bhp figure.

ATP rate the GT2X to 290bhp max. The new GT28R Elim. is rated to 300+, the GTRS 350 max.

thanks for the advice Rob....I was quoting 280 - 300bhp figures as part of the dyno lottery lol!:D

what is the advantage of the ATP tip then, as I thought it was to house the larger MAF, but if you can do this with a simple joiner then, have I just wasted £170 replacing the Forge TIP?

little confusing as you hear so many things on the fitment of the kit

you run this setup at the moment right? if so, a few pm's about fitting and setup would be helpful just to make sure I have not missed anything:)

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
i think you're confusing yourself mate. you need the ATP tip to house the larger MAF unless forge or samco could do a one-off (expensive!) what i was trying to point out was that you've got you're carbonio CAI currently bolted up to your 76mm MAF and you will need a silicone reducer to go from your new 80mm MAF down to your carbonio 76mm pipework. so i'd say that you haven't wasted your money on the ATP gear.

jamiebennett81

i think you're confusing yourself mate. you need the ATP tip to house the larger MAF unless forge or samco could do a one-off (expensive!) what i was trying to point out was that you've got you're carbonio CAI currently bolted up to your 76mm MAF and you will need a silicone reducer to go from your new 80mm MAF down to your carbonio 76mm pipework. so i'd say that you haven't wasted your money on the ATP gear.

right ok, cheers mate

need to look under the bonnet to get a visual of this, and then it will become a little clearer to me

AMD will know anyway, so I am sure it will be worked out

I reckon this should all be done by May/June time

RobDon

Pro Detailer
The TT 225 Forge TIP fits the GT2X turbo and the 3" MAF as well, but it's too restrictive, so yes, you will use the ATP intake for better flow and to fit the 3" MAF.

You do NOT need a silicone reducer to fit the Carbonio, a 76mm silicone coupler goes onto the 3" MAF just fine.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.