MK2 Ibiza / Cordoba Pedal box replacement

JacketJ

Jul 13, 2008
Hampshire
I think the nut is welded to the car, i seem to remember trying that the first time.

You just want to keep drilling until the head falls off, like this:

d98eW.jpg

It's tricky getting to the the passenger side bolt but can be done with a long enough drillbit, took me quite a while though. With the column dropped and no tension on the threads you can easily twist out the headless bolts using pliers.

Mr Slak

ah i wondered how you got the rest out the bolt on mine look different from that, they kind of dont have a head looks more like a washer. but i guess the same applies if i drill past the washer part it should drop off?

cheers for the fast reply or i would have been lying in my foot well had sawing the bolt for hours lol.

Mr Slak

maybe they just look different from the od angle, i ve run out of battery in the drill now its not going well so far haha. hopefully get the bolts drilled before dark....

toonfiend

Hail to the Plug!!!!
Jun 27, 2008
so i ve been trying to cut a gouge out of the top of the shear bolts to use a screwdriver and its just taking way too long to cut. so what do you guys mean by drilling out the bolts? do i drill straight through? how does this make it come undone? also theres a nut on the other side do i need to undo this i cant see how i get in there with a spanner?

ill get this eventually lol.

cheers guys.

Im sure if I remember rightly when I did mine, once the heads off it will just drop straight out. I started trying to shear the head off with a dremel type tool but it was taking ages so I managed to squeeze an angle grinder up there, Its a tight fit and had to have a steady hand but literally 5 seconds on each bolt and they were out.

Mr Slak

[:@]hit a few snags, the guy a vw has given the wrong bracket for the brake pedal it must from a newe/older model than mine part number is the same apart from one number and an A at the end i cant wait till tuesday wednesday for the correct one so im gonna have to mod this one to fit with a bit of milliput. Do you guys think this will be strong enough. also i ve discovered that my car has never had a clutch center spring:confused: this might be why my clutch was always horrendous to use. is it a major problem or can it still be used until i get one? i mean i ve been driving around for three months without one.

im never doing this job again lol its horrible.

JacketJ

Jul 13, 2008
Hampshire
I'd imagine the clutch will still be ok but won't be weighted properly, the cable will easily provide enough pull to return the pedal to the normal position.

SEAT should be able to check from your car VIN or numberplate to find the correct bracket i'd think. The parts guy did call me after I placed my order to check so I hope I didn't give you the wrong number :redface:

Mr Slak

yeah im guessing as i drove it around for months without a spring itll last till i get a new one.

well im gonna ring round first thing tomorrow morning see who can get it for me same day. its not your fault dude we didnt know each others car's ages if they changed the way its made at one year.

god knows why they felt the need to change the design of such a small part.

plus the guy in vw knew the age of my car so he should have known which was right.

toddygti

Sep 9, 2007
Folkestone, Kent
I found the clip in the back of the brake pedal the biggest bitch to do. I posted a couple of shots of what it looks like to help out. The lugs that hold the ball joint on mine are slightly shorter where I broke them all upon removal.

942e6bf9.jpg

86aacde2.jpg

Mr Slak

yeah thats what the clip in mine looked like but using the part number form the first post i ended up with a different one, the clips were in a different place.

jw22

anyone for more bubbles?
Jul 24, 2005
Kent
And people moan that SCN is/has gone downhill.
Thanks for all the advice here I'll be taking this job on once the bracket has arrived later this week.

Jugo23

Oct 17, 2011
Sheffield, UK
After mine snapped a week ago i decided to have a bash at changing it, and, its done :D This guide is great! i got the box welded too so should last a long time!

jw22

anyone for more bubbles?
Jul 24, 2005
Kent
Finished mine but the airbag light comes back on after the three second test.
ie Ignition on and the light illuminates for three seconds, then goes out the comes back on again. I've taken it all apart and back together again and all is fine but still the light stays on.
Could a VAG com solve this alone or does it prove the system is faulty somewhere, airbag unit was stored pad up in a safe place and nothing damaged, caught or split.

ps I have the old box I'm happy to weld up if anyone needs one and the clip/ball joint for the brake pedal FOC.

Last edited:

jw22

anyone for more bubbles?
Jul 24, 2005
Kent
If you have a good guy local for welding why not weld and reinforce the snapped one.
Once supported and repaired it'll be as strong as a new one will be.
It's the welds that stress and break not the metal.

Daniel_Beeza99

Help Costing Too Much

hi im new to this and would like some advice i brought my beeza in jan its a 1999 mk2 1.4 and the pedal box has started cracking ive bin qouted by seat dealership £119 for just the frame part does anyone no of any shops that i can get this cheaper? id prefer it to be a standard part but open to subjestions as ive found out its a common fault? they also quoted me with vat £635 for part and fittting is this worth it? or can it be a easy job to do myself as an amateur? all advice would be helpful thanks:cry:

Gearbox an

Dec 15, 2014
did mine as well without removing shear bolts.
i pulled the uni joint out of steering column ( single bolt i think?), watch for spring falling out & orientation, this gave me enough room to get pedalbox around & back in.
this may not work if you don't have an adjustable stering column though

Don't no why you struggle like this just weld a bolt to the shear bolt or the day before you do the job chemical metal a nut to it shear bolts very easy to get out and saves lots of hassle

ca121

Jun 8, 2014
This post is going to come in very handy when I start reinstalling the pedel box into the car

Thanks to everyone involved in making it.

Adam