MK2 Ibiza Suspension / Coilover Fitting Guide

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
Well I've never seen a proper fitting guide for suspension / coilovers so I thought I'd make one!

Front

1. Loosen wheel nuts and support car on axle stands or other suitable support.

DSC00429.jpg

2. Working under the bonnet, using either a gun or a 21mm socket / deep offset spanner and a 7mm allen key through the middle (you'll have to hold the socket with an adjustable spanner or something) undo the bolt.

DSC00435.jpg

3. Now to the lower part, Using a 10mm spanner or socket remove the brake pipe and move out of the way.

DSC00434.jpg

4. Remove the ABS sensor cable by twisting the plastic plug and pulling it out.

5. Undo the bolts holding the strut by using a 2 x 17mm spanner on either side (or a ratchet etc). note the orientation of the bolts. and the suspension should now pull out.

6. Lay the old suspension next to your new ones and be amazed at how much shorter they are!

DSC00437.jpg

Rear

1. Loosen wheel nuts and support car on axle stands or other suitable support.

2. Working inside the boot, remove the black plastic cap, you might need some help from a screwdriver to lever it off.

DSC00443.jpg

3. Undo the top nut and then remove the large washer undo the next nut and remove the smaller washer (note orientation) finally remove the top rubber section and lay all the parts out so you can put them back in the same order

DSC00442.jpg

4. From underneath remove the bolt and nut holding the suspension with 2 x 17mm spanner / sockets. One either side. You may find the passenger side a bit difficult if you have a aftermarket backbox but it will come out! Suspension should now fall away

DSC00441.jpg

Building New Suspension

Front

1. I would recommend replacing the top mounts however if you've done this recently then your going to have to remove them from the suspension. You'll need a spring compressor for this, you can get them from halfords for £20. I however had the handy use of...

DSC00439.jpg

2. Anyway compress the spring and undo the top nut, and the shock should fall away then decompress the spring. You'll then need to fit ....

Currently still writing

Please feel free to let me know if I've said something wrong!!!

G1NG3

hi mate, just bought some coilovers and wanted to know whether you have to put the bush from the top of the old suspension strut on the new coilovers still. :shrug:

KerryMarie

Query relating to coil spring/wishbones

Hello, apologies but I am new to all this but thought I would join as you all seem knowledgable so can hopefully assist with a query that I have.

Both my wishbones require replacing on my 53 plate seat ibiza, at the same time they also need to replace the suspension coil on the passenger side as part of this sheared off on Monday night. My local dealer has quoted me £199 all in for the wishbones and then £212 for the coil spring. I phoned then back as a friend said that I could save money on labour as the wishbones and coil spring are in a similar place but was told "they are but they are not" (???) They will reduce the labour but only by £36 whereas I was hoping to halve the labour on the coil spring and save about £70.

Please can someone who knows their cars give me an indication of the location of both of these and whether I am being ripped off on labour.

Thanks in advance

K
xx

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
Being a 53 plate, it should be a mk4 Ibiza, not a mk2 which the area you've posted in. Anyway, assuming the mk4 is similar to the mk2, the advice "they are but they are not" is correct. They're in the same area but they don't share any work to remove/replace.

Either job would however require re-alignment of the front wheels, and this is the only reason I can see for a discount by doing both jobs at the same time.

KerryMarie

Thanks Apline White for your reply. Sorry I posted it in the wrong area, I did a search on suspension and this thread came up so tagged it onto the end.

Your advice and knowledge has been great, thanks again

K
x

dannycam

hi,
i've got an ibiza mk 2 with a diesel engine and would like to know what brand of shocks should i use. i have an idea of using tein/f&k/k&w.
any suggestions about any good set which gives good handling without compromising the ride.
ps i'm running on 205/45 R16 tyres

10x

esso

i would recommend H&R coilovers as they got a comfort spring which can be removed if you want a stiff ride or leave it if want it comfortable

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
hi,
i've got an ibiza mk 2 with a diesel engine and would like to know what brand of shocks should i use. i have an idea of using tein/f&k/k&w.
any suggestions about any good set which gives good handling without compromising the ride.
ps i'm running on 205/45 R16 tyres

10x

Dont drop the front to much with those tyres. Im running 205/45 R16 tyres on the front with a 60mm drop and get alot of rubbing.

ed1986p

Dont drop the front to much with those tyres. Im running 205/45 R16 tyres on the front with a 60mm drop and get alot of rubbing.

i've got 185 55 15 on mine which is also -62mm and it catches, but only when im going fast around a bumpy corner. a bigger set of bump stops will help with that. also, i had my camber set up and that did help a bit aswell

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members