MK3 SEAT Leon CUPRA's owner's register

Which Leon Cupra version do you own?

• Total voters
Mar 13, 2011
Just placed my order through dtd. nevada white /seat sound. the guy from dtd also said the dealer was only 5o miles away which will be a big bonus just waiting for contact from the dealer now.

Yes, as you are in London I can confirm the dealer DTD use isn't very far for you. Miles away from me though, unfortunately.

phil_____

Have to disagree on the price differential though as it is clear discounts are possible on the Cupra too (quite a few on here have bought well under list). Like everyone else who is / was looking at the Cupra I also considered the S3, didn't really consider the Golf R as the styling doesn't do much for me.

etc.

Yes, it seems a few people are in the same boat. Ultimately the S3, the Golf and the Cupra are always going to be very similar. Same platform, same engine. Oddly, it's the little things that make the difference. I know I could have probably shopped around on the Cupra but ultimately the Golf was top of the list, slightly ahead of the Cupra. I do also like my local SEAT dealership.

So for what it's worth here were my thoughts and observations.

The Cupra has come so far since the last model, even post-facelift. The interior is a really nice place to be. However, it does still lag behind the Golf and the S3. The dash still seems big with empty plastic, although it's nothing compared to the old models. The door cards also seem cheap compared with the others. The seats/wheel/general driver stuff are no better or worse than the others, however.

The styling of the Cupra is really going to divide people. The angles on the air vents are very out of place nowadays and for some reason when I first got in, this reminded me (perhaps unfairly) of this. Others may not see it, and I'm showing my age, I know.

The exterior styling also divides opinion. Personally I love the way the Leon looks. I also like the understated look of the Cupra, compared with the rest of the range. The Golf wins for me though. May be a bit less interesting, but it's a handsome car.

The Cupra also seems to have more room in the front than the Golf, although I think that's just the centre console of the Golf which makes the difference. The rest of the interior in the Golf is a class above in my opinion, as it is with the S3. I know others won't care in the slightest. The S3 has the sat-nav screen which rises out of the dash and has no touch-screen. Not as bad as the nasty affair that BMW put in theirs.

The Golf has much more rear legroom, thanks to some clever front seats which are hollowed out at the back. Boot space in the Leon wins though, having no rear drive train to take up space.

As for driving it, well confession time: I've not actually driven an R. I've only driven a GTD. I've driven an S3 and have been in a Cupra twice: once driving and once being thrown around in the back of one with blacked-out windows at Sheerness docks. I hated the S3. The suspension was rock solid; worse than my Ibiza FR. The Cupra was great, with comfort mode being a good match for crappy British road surfaces. I'm putting faith in the fact that the Golf will feel the same.

Then there's the residuals. Personally I think the Cupra will hold its value much better than previous models. The quality's much closer to the competition than previously. I reckon that both cars would cost me about the same over a few years and given I have the dosh and am paying cash (did I mention that I'm getting on a bit?) then it's the Golf for me.

I'll probably still lurk around here though. I like this forum. Besides, I have an Ibiza FR tdi to sell. May 2004, one owner from new. 90K miles. No mods. Make me an offer :)

Mar 13, 2011
The styling of the Cupra is really going to divide people. The angles on the air vents are very out of place nowadays and for some reason when I first got in, this reminded me (perhaps unfairly) of this. Others may not see it, and I'm showing my age, I know.

Heh, I want some of what you've been smoking! :) I'm old enough to remember the Maestro / Montego too but I struggle to see the comparison there.

leemac

Jun 24, 2007
Bristol
Ordered a black 280sc today and I can't wait.
Went for the black leather and seat sound
Also went for the 5 year warranty and got a cracking deal.

leemac

Jun 24, 2007
Bristol
I had a test drive today didn't like the dsg as much as a manual so went for the manual.
Can't wait for it to get here

3pointturn

Nov 18, 2011
I haven't ordered one but I'm getting closer to. I'd spoken to a dealer about the m235i but that's probably out my budget so I'm getting itchier and itchier feet about the cupra 280
More owner reviews in here would be appreciated but I realise it's maybe too early

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I have ordered one :)

Wifes car not mine ultimately but decision making process was influenced by me heavily.

Leon Cupra 280 5DR manual [need this as baby is due in Sept]
Emotion Red
Leather Pack
Seat Sound System
Space Saver Wheel

Mine is due in June sometime.

RasmusDC

updated vote, in the country MAY, the long leadtime makes me rethink my order (i have not signed a contract, so i can just say no to the car)..

especially since the Kia Pro Ceed GT comes in a CHEAP World cup edition, that undercuts the price by a HUGE margin (here in denmark)

Kia Pro C´eed GT WC - aprox 30.000 euro´s
Seat Cupra 280PS 5dr - 45000 euro´s

Seat Cupra 5D 280ps MT, only extra is the Seat Sound system.
Color is Pirineos Grey

Last edited by a moderator:

The Old Codger

Mar 16, 2011
Kent
Ok,

So after testing the RS megane and a Vrs I have traded in my Cupra 265 for a 280. Sorry to see the 265 go as it is a great car.

Have ordered as a final fling before I move to what I call my comfy slipper the following;

LC280
5dr
Manual (DSG to modern for an old git like me)
Monsoon Grey
Spare Wheel - space saver (Iknow its weight but prefer that to cans of foam and arguments with tyre fitters)

Nice and simple. Been advise end of June delivery. Let's just wait and see.

TOC

phsharpy

Just ordered a 5dr Cupra 280 DSG. It was tough to choose between the cupra and the Megane 265 but in the end i decided the cupra was the better all round car (and faster!!). Now i just have to wait until June and see how i get on living with a DSG gearbox...

Renoix

Mar 25, 2014
Milton Keynes
Hi all, new to the site and soon-to-be first time Seat owner.

Last week I placed an order for the 280 5dr in Nevada White with sound pack. Only problem is 12-13 week delivery time!! Was also looking at the M135i and R, but got a cracking deal on the cupra, so it was a no brainer.

Is it June yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boltonredgt

Mar 25, 2014
Bolton
Ordered mine last week and confirmed build week 19. might arrive by end of May. Changing from an Abarth 500 as we need more room in the back for the granddaughter

5 door 280
Manual
Phantom Black
Rear side airbags
Seat sound pack c/w spare wheel
Winter pack
Safety pack

arreruk

Mar 15, 2014
Just ordered a 5dr Cupra 280 DSG. It was tough to choose between the cupra and the Megane 265 but in the end i decided the cupra was the better all round car (and faster!!). Now i just have to wait until June and see how i get on living with a DSG gearbox...

Had DSG in an A3 and Ibiza Cupra and I loved it. Horses for courses as there are others who hate it. I think it gives good balance between fun and comfort (laziness. Lol) enjoy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Surprised not many people went for leather as you get winter pack with it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

RasmusDC

what winterpack does the UK Cupra have?..

all Leons only except the crummy base model (doesn´t even have A/C) has Winterpack, with the headlights washers (hate em), heated seats and so on ...

did not want leather, the only upside i can see with leather is that its easy to clean, and keep clean..

guess thats nice if you have childern.

but its annoying when its hot, and "flat surface leather" gets really "loose" after a short while, so the seats dont look as great. you have to maintain it to keep it fresh.

then it cracks... and the Seat seats are not that great looking, i do like leather seats in a Alfa romeo, since they make great looking leather seats..

and i really like them on the Opel (Vauxhall) VxR version (especially the Corsa).