mk4 ibiza fitting springs

samslow

how hard is it? ive done it b4 on older cars and was hoping this would be nice and easy as its only 3 years old

anything i need to know
thanks

1.9 tdi sport 55 plate

samslow

right
read the guide and now on the hunt for a hub spreader tool!

what other bits is it worth replacing while i m taking the strut off?
Is there any bits there that will probably break anyway?
Did i read that the locking nut on the hub will need replacing too?
thanks

basssound

May 31, 2007
Rotherham, South Yorkshire!
TBH dude one the fronts your better off removing the rive shafts from the gear box, how don't even have to prat around with spring clamps ect... they simply slide out and back in lol!!

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
right

thanks
if your stuck 10 socket, a 10mm allan key approx 3/4" long and a grinder you can make your own

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
right

thanks

Laser Tools (tool connection) sell a copy of the VAG tool - Halfords will order it in for you as Laser Tools will not supply direct.

I tried using some large screw driver bits - but they all just sheared off - too hard and the profile was too agressive at the transition from wide to narrow. The Laser Tools tool works a treat

samslow

Laser Tools (tool connection) sell a copy of the VAG tool - Halfords will order it in for you as Laser Tools will not supply direct.

I tried using some large screw driver bits - but they all just sheared off - too hard and the profile was too agressive at the transition from wide to narrow. The Laser Tools tool works a treat

just found one on ebay sorted!

but do i need to replace top mounts as ive heard they may break?

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
Right ho, after you sunshine:lol:
well for everyone else -- 1/2" drive 10 mm socket 10mm allan key ground ( and DON'T BURN IT)to 5.5 thick approx 9 wide x17.5-18 long with the corners lightly radiused, as it was a cheap socket I araldited it in if you have the stuff in stock it's quicker than standing in a q' @hellfrauds[B)]

mattydebb123

i did mine on a vrs and they were a bit of a pain but once you get one side done your flying on the other side cos u know what bolts your taking off! backs could be done by a 3 year old! just 2 bolts and your done :) i agree with the drive shafts out on the front makes it alot less fiddly

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
I did my fronts, on my own, about a month ago. I didn't use a hub spreader, a nice big flat screw driver helped ( i would recommend you get the spreader though). I didn't take the hub off on the right, but wish I had. It would have been soooo much easier. The left isn't too bad. I put brand new bearings and top mounts on.

I had to go and get a 7mm allen key to dis-assemble the struts.

josh263uk

Waiting for the sunshine!
Aug 13, 2007
Saarland Germany
Sorry to bring up an old thread. Have recently bought springs and following the guide above i have hit a problem.

I managed to get the all bolts out/off, except for the drop link bolt, just keeps spinning, any ideas? the car is about 22 months old, so thought it wouldnt be to stiff. I did notice before fiddling that the drop link appears to be slightly loose on the connection to the strut?

Thanks

Josh

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.