My AP Racing Big Brake Upgrade - Full Story

Yumann

May 17, 2002
Glasgow
Simply awesome!

I find most machine shops charge a forture machining parts mainly due to creating the drawings.

gregclarks

Trying to Resist ARBs
May 31, 2006
Answers..........

Wow, lots of positive feedback, thanks for that, i will try and answer all the questions;

• Brakets from german ebay, but they come as a blank lump of forged steel
    Bolts all 304 Standrad Stainless Steel, except two mild steel ones (final £5 spend was missed!)
    I think if i was to make more sets i would have to charge about £750!! Think you would struggle to get them done cheaper, but i am not in the position to be liable for anyone else! - lots of hours on the mill!
    I have an ABF engine with a few little mods to it, but you can always stop faster
    The wheels have been spaced out 15mm, may reduce to 10mm at the weekend, girlfriend permitting
    I didnt use any drawings just a vernier and a keen eye
    Had to remove the MG logo, please!
    Rotational stress in the bolts on the disc so not under a great deal of stress
    304mm on MG, 312mm on Cupra this just means it runs a little close to the caliper, but i am happy! Width wise its perfect, nicely vented!

Any more questions welcome... does spacing a wheel affect alignment or camber?? i have noticed some really uneven inner to outer tyre wear, i only recently had the camber done professionally? strange?

gregclarks

Trying to Resist ARBs
May 31, 2006
Greg

I think you should get yourself another 5 sets, make them up the same way and start flogging them on ebay......you'd make a tidy sum.

I wouldnt want to be a middle man, any money i made would be at the expensive of other Cupra owners and thats some seriously bad karma!

As with all jobs, i think it works out a lot cheaper when you supply the garage with the parts, the bolts the discs the claipers etc etc
All the costs you take away from a garage removes their cut! thats a great way the save money, ideally you would find out how long a garage say they can build a system, then how much they charge per hour of labour (in that order!) then get a quote! but be sure your quote includes every thing you need;

One set of calipers - any type, they can be machined to fit, just dont go too big
One pair of mk2 golf braided lines,
Audi TT 312mm discs
Pair of brackets (can use alloy billet, but i prefer to over engineer!)

My set can be bought with only 500miles on them for £700, i seriously need some cash fro xmas! :cry:

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
I'm guessing the offset of the disc has been shifted away from the spokes and the forged bracket has been machined to suit.

Or theirs some serious spacerage going on....

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
i admire your workmanship,but surely less hassle to just buy a set of ibiza cupra R brembo's?
ok not quite as big a disc,and not 2 peice.
plus no need to upset your camber and stress on wheel bearings by spacing your rim out

perhaps i'm just thinking of how worried i'd be DIYing that little lot myself,you're obviously a pro and know what your doing when you set about a caliper with an angle grinder