My car dropped on AP coilies!!

basssound

May 31, 2007
Rotherham, South Yorkshire!
Well heres the car is all it's dirty glory lol,
Got the fronts half way down the coil, could drop a further 30m - 50mm without a probelm lol
Got the rears with just the base plate of the cups in, the blue winder has been removed, TBH the rear would only drop another 10mm if I was lucky.

Overall the kit is fantastic for the money, the ride is soo good, harder then standard yet smooth??
Take the bumps without a problem, not hit a pot hole yet so I can't advise on that.
Just a little dissapointed with how low the the back drops, could do with going another 30mm but that aint gonna happen.

For now i'm really chuffing inpressed and all my worries have vanished.

The kit it's self feels really good in hand, there very easy to fit, if you can get it off the ground and get under it then I would really sugest you drop off the drive shafts from the gearbox as it takes the piss on how easy they are to fit as soon as they're off!!!

The fitting guide on this site is good but trust me, once the shaft are out, the old unit slip out without the need for spiring compressors!!

Anyway, less bable and more pics.

BEFORE

DSC00163.jpg

AFTER

DSC00309.jpg

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
Looks SO much better with the rear down to a sensible level. Every time I look at mine I think it looks way to high up. I would lower it but the insurance would be prohibitave. Anyway - looks good:D

basssound

May 31, 2007
If i'm totally honest, I was hoping to get the edge of the tyre and the edge of the arch to run perfectly level BUT at this moment in time, you can get your finger in between the tyre and the arch.
This is even worse when the Merc alloys and stretched tyres go on lol!!!

Mar 8, 2007
So the back, you have the adjusters in place but have taken the blue spinny thing off to get it like that?

How low did it go with the blue spinny thing in place?

Is the ride bouncy?

basssound

May 31, 2007
So the back, you have the adjusters in place but have taken the blue spinny thing off to get it like that?

How low did it go with the blue spinny thing in place?

Is the ride bouncy?

Yeah the blue spinner is off, the black thread has a chamfered edge on the bottom, the spring slides over that and seats on the bottom, almost as if it was meant to be ;)

With the blue spinner in place and at the bottom of the threads, the car was a whole 25mm higher, not much but you could see the difference in level from front to rear, now it looks perfectly level.

The black cup can come out, that will drop it to the bottom, basically like the OEM spring but much shorter.

The ride is firm yet smooth for a coilover kit, when I droped it to the floor and bounced the front corners, the car didn't budge, me and my mate looked at each toher and said "s hit, thats gonna be harsh", went for a blast and we couldn't bleive how good the ride was,
it's a hundred times better than the standard suspension!!

EDIT - Yeah they supply the nuts, they're nylocking nuts, I did order two from seat just in case but they're not needed.

Mar 8, 2007
Right well my kit is from Awesome and I don't have these nuts [:@]

Were yours already on the top of the shock or in a bag or something?

Mar 8, 2007
That's what got me wondering, they're on the box but not in the thing.

Yeah, BNQ, Homebase, maybe even Halfords.

basssound

May 31, 2007
Ahhh good i'll go and get some tomorrow.

basssound, did you take any step by step photos as you were fitting?

Nope I used the guide from here with a little improvisation ;)

http://www.seat-ibiza-mk4.co.uk/ibiza_front_shock_absorber_change.htm

Honnestly, remove the drive shaft bolts at the gearbox end, use a screwdriver in the vent of the disc and wedge that against the caliper and the bolts come out easily!

To put it simple -

Remove the top mount bolts, there on either side, use the link to see them ;)
Jack up and place on axle stands
Remove the wheels
Undo the clips for the brake pipes on the shocker
Remove the ARB nut
Remove the steering ball joint nut (note - you may need to lower the ball joint onto a jack using the weight of the car to stop it from spinning when removing the nut)
Remove the bolt at the back of the hub clamping the shocker it.
Either using the special tool mentioned in the above like or a chisel, open the clamp.
Give the shoker a good hit in an upwards direction to break it free of the hub.
Remove the drive shafts from the gearbox and support the hubs on a jack or axle stand.
Now hammer out the old shockers, fit the new coilovers in the reverse order.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members