My Cordoba Coupe Trackday Car Project

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
bad luck.

so is it that the cams themselves are crap or that they have been fitted / timed incorrectly ? be very suprised if the cams themselves were this bad, Newman will have copied the profile from someone else I would think. How far did they get into the mapping ?

If you are going to buy new cams then think seriously about Cat cams - with all due respect RPM dont know what these guys know - they used to do the cams for VWMotorsport and they are fitted to my motor.....which is no slouch...but the lift may be too much for your engine ?

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
bad luck.

so is it that the cams themselves are crap or that they have been fitted / timed incorrectly ? be very suprised if the cams themselves were this bad, Newman will have copied the profile from someone else I would think. How far did they get into the mapping ?

If you are going to buy new cams then think seriously about Cat cams - with all due respect RPM dont know what these guys know - they used to do the cams for VWMotorsport and they are fitted to my motor.....which is no slouch...but the lift may be too much for your engine ?

The cams were fitted to Newmans guidlines and were consulted when the whole thing hit problems - apparently Newman have only sold a few set of these cams Ive bought with no feedback from others........great.....

Said Mappers got 180bhp with 130 somthing lbft out of it - pretty **** and drives terrible, they alterered the timing and fueling so much it would of normally been detonating its bollocks off but did'nt

The predicament I'm now in is that I need the car back. RPM have these grinds in stock and they're good enough to swap them over FOC, and without any other glitches should give me with what I'm after.

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
In comparison they had an ex VW cup car in for work at the same time - same spec as mine on an 9ablock (albeit cams) and that did 203Bhp with 150odd of torque - That'll do me.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
In comparison they had an ex VW cup car in for work at the same time - same spec as mine on an 9ablock (albeit cams) and that did 203Bhp with 150odd of torque - That'll do me.

9A a shorter block too ?so you get a little bit more power ?

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
cannot see from the vid whats it putting out - please enlighten me

Edit - just read from other RR day thread:

"191.2 BHP @ 8003 RPM, 149.8 lbft @ 5611 RPM

Got some issues to sort out, but encouraging after only just getting it back.

Sounded good tho"

Couple thoughts:
1. If you are using a std botom end, which i thought you were, you want to watch those revs....7800 is pushing it on a std bottom end and 7600 more sensible - if a rod bolt fails the engine will be toast and hydraulic lifters are reaching outside of envelope at 8K
2. Has it been setup by RPM ? if so, what issues do you have to sort out ?
3. How much power and torque have they told you you will get ? - what are you expecting from the finished article ?

Coming along nicely though

Last edited:

Triple D

Yep ill back that unclefester :lol: was bloody heavy though with just me and gaz pushing it :lol: think it was going up hill :whistle:

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
cannot see from the vid whats it putting out - please enlighten me

Edit - just read from other RR day thread:

"191.2 BHP @ 8003 RPM, 149.8 lbft @ 5611 RPM

Got some issues to sort out, but encouraging after only just getting it back.

Sounded good tho"

Couple thoughts:
1. If you are using a std botom end, which i thought you were, you want to watch those revs....7800 is pushing it on a std bottom end and 7600 more sensible - if a rod bolt fails the engine will be toast and hydraulic lifters are reaching outside of envelope at 8K
2. Has it been setup by RPM ? if so, what issues do you have to sort out ?
3. How much power and torque have they told you you will get ? - what are you expecting from the finished article ?

Coming along nicely though

200+bhp & 150lbft was quoted, and its almost there

200.4 @ 8000 & 142lbft @ circa 5600k (mappers results) tho a little more was expected by all parties

The rev limit was left at around 8100 due to the pending RR day for verification at the EA RR day and then drop it down to 7600 for the very reasons you've mentioned, not driven the car in anger much as I have G'box selection issues.

RPM have done the head, supplied the cams, installed the ITBs,
http://www.tracknroad.com/ have done the mapping, got a couple of issues - from stone cold it has a slight misfire, refuses to rev over 3k rpm under load (POP-BANG-BANG-POP:doh: ) until coolant is upto temp and hiccups at 3k again until the oil temp is into the 90's (see rr vid) bit of a flat spot at 5k - they dont know why depite the head being on and off a few times and being at the mappers more than a few times also druing the month.

Hard to judge the EA results as it varied alot for other people, not bang on from 3 days previously but not a million miles away - dyno lottery tm lol.
EA were quick to note the creases in the plot/map and sales pitch followed.

The car is back at RPM, to have the Speedo & fuel guage rectified along with the cold running issues also have the selector cables/mech looked at as Ive lost reverse/1st/3rd/5th - thanks for the push guys:redface:

Didn't expect it to be right he first time, but very encouraging all the same:)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise