New Cupra R

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Interesting - I thought it was a single piston setup on the Mk2 LC (similar to the old S3 and R32 had). This was usually seen as a weaker point on these cars...

It is just single piston, but dont let that fool you. The discs are 345mm and the brakes are very much up to the job of stopping the car. They are better than the Brembos on the LCR and cheaper for parts too. Take a shot of a MK2 LC to see for yourself.

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
That is a large disc (even compared to the 323mm LCR) but I would be surprised if it offered the same clamping forces a race caliper offers... hence the possible move to 4-pots on the new LCR?

I wonder with these proposed AP racing calipers what size discs are being offered. Theoretically they could go smaller to save unsprung weight with the additional clamping power.

You're right though - the brembos are bloody expensive!

Poverty

That is a large disc (even compared to the 323mm LCR) but I would be surprised if it offered the same clamping forces a race caliper offers... hence the possible move to 4-pots on the new LCR?

I wonder with these proposed AP racing calipers what size discs are being offered. Theoretically they could go smaller to save unsprung weight with the additional clamping power.

You're right though - the brembos are bloody expensive!

I bet the Leon Cupra R will get the same discs as the TT-RS 373MM discs.

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
0-60s really aren't a selling point for FWD cars anyway as they don't make good use of the engine power compared to a RWD car. 0-100 or 30-70 figures are much more useful.

Poverty

That's a bit optimistic. The new Focus RS has 40bhp more and a Quaife LSD and still has 0-60 in 6secs, weighing about the same (or more).

The 2 Ibiza Bocanegras are just an FR and a Cupra but with different design. No differences in performance specs.

the ibiza bocanegra will only be available in cupra form, so the bocanegra and cupra will be 180 hp and the fr 150hp.

The focus RS weighs about 120kg more than the leon but I agree about the 0-62 times.

Poverty

0-60s really aren't a selling point for FWD cars anyway as they don't make good use of the engine power compared to a RWD car. 0-100 or 30-70 figures are much more useful.

very true, fwd is poo off the line but has the least transmission losses. Porsches with their rear engined motors have the fwd low transmission losses, with rwd acceleration, with the added grip of the engine being planted over the rear tires. :D

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Yeah the porsche concept is great for drag racing. I know they've made a brilliant job of it, but I'd really worry driving a 911 at 8/10ths that with all that weight at the rear that it's just going to spin you off the road at some point. The cayman has a much better weight distribution, but they'll never give it the big engines...

JayTse

A Natural Petrolhead....
Dec 4, 2008
Runcorn//Barnsley//Newcastle
i know its slightly off topic, but i managed to drive a porsche GT3 round the test track down at MIRA and i was bloody surprised how much grip it has to offer..

very nice cars!

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Everyone seems to be stuck on looking at BHP figures , its the torque that does the speed , regardless whether it will do 60 in 6 or 5.9 seconds , its on the road that counts and how it drives.
if its a bone rattling drive then i can honestly rule it out , but to be fair the suspension will have to be tweaked a lot to get any where near the RS handling and that might just push the price up a little further.

On the brake side of things i dont think i would be happy paying for something that is not nesecary , the Cupras current brakes are excellent and always puts a smile on my face when i see a technician drive off then stop and see them windscreen bound :blink:

The overall package of the Cupra is excellent but the only place i would like to see an improvement is in the handling with the extar grunt and also keeping the current boby , no body kits but maybe blistering the arches a bit to make it wider , and tbh i think they may have to do this anyway because to improve the handling they will have to widen the track of the car.
so roll on first offical pics :D

jamesypyk

Gettin faster
Jan 14, 2009
pollok glasgow
seat to launch 265bhp leon cupra r

hey dont no if this has been posted but looks good and bye the sounds of it packs a good punch

its says ..Packing the same 265hp engine from the Volkswagen Scirocco R, the rumored Seat Leon Cupra R would also feature a dual-clutch gearbox, AP Racing brakes, a specially-tuned suspension and competition-style bucket seats inside, and the possible inclusion of Seat's trick new XDS electronic differential. With the current range-topping, 240hp Leon Cupra sprinting to sixty in just 6.4 seconds and undercutting the Golf GTI by a good few hundred on the sticker, the 265hp Cupra R could prove to be a real barn-stormer.

clicky..http://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/10/seat-to-launch-265hp-leon-cupra-r-in-frankfurt/

Al

Aug 29, 2005
^^^... but isn't that always what happens with product lifecycles? The company can't preview their whole product roadmap, or it would destroy sales of their current lineup. It's the same with mobile phones, clothes, pretty much anything that has new products with the same essential functionality but with improvements over the previous generation.

As you say, you'd have held off buying your Cupra if you knew this was coming... which is exactly why Seat couldn't have told you that it was coming, I reckon. :confused:

Net result is I never bought a 2nd Cupra because of uncertainty, and I probably wont buy an R either. Lose, lose for SEAT. If they had been quicker or more open sooner, I would have probably bought another one.

Now I will probably wait for the MK3 or see what else is on offer at the time I choose to change.

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
Net result is I never bought a 2nd Cupra because of uncertainty, and I probably wont buy an R either. Lose, lose for SEAT. If they had been quicker or more open sooner, I would have probably bought another one.

Now I will probably wait for the MK3 or see what else is on offer at the time I choose to change.

mk3 years down the line al. at least another 3 years of mk2, and then the mk3 cupra will probably be at least a year later again.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
It must just be me but I think the aero kit is horrible, should I get my coat :banned:

You are not alone mate although parts of it are OKas far as some are concerned - like the skirts and spoiler.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
yup , side skirts and spoiler for me , front bumper not aggresive enough and the rear bumper just doesnt do it 4 me :(

all the R needs is blistered arches and it will be mean as fu*k

Poverty

yup , side skirts and spoiler for me , front bumper not aggresive enough and the rear bumper just doesnt do it 4 me :(

all the R needs is blistered arches and it will be mean as fu*k

and a bigger spoiler ala rs focus. Their spoilers are huge :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.