New ibiza fr or fiesta st

pbirkett

Jun 17, 2004
Newcastle
pbirkett.blogspot.com
Someone always uses the tuning argument... its all very well getting a diesel tuned, but then the rest of the car is not up to the performance.

Some people do actually prefer a car to be good out of the box rather than feeling the need to spend thousands of pounds extra to make it as good as something that is like that standard - and all that money you spent could have been spent on an even better car.

And let us not forget - theres more to having an enjoyable car to drive than acceleration - the most fun car I ever had was my Mk2 Golf GTI, and that thing wasnt fast by any stretch of the imagination...

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
I agree with the above comment, I am not tuning my car as it does everything i want it too and for what it is its seriously good fun! :D

But i also know that people like to tune their motors like sparkster, or just because they get attached to a certain car and want to get a little more out of it. just presenting both arguments :)

T. Spark

Tho, im not really into "tuning" mine too much, Im not going to go for anything else on my car now, performance wise, as Im happy with what I have (remap) In winter, the car cant be used at full throttle unless in 4th+ and in summer, its chill time with the windows down and the system up :D

I wouldnt go any further than a remap, zorst and induction kit for a DERV personally.

sted

random wierdo
not sure to be honest i thing i still prefer my mk5 Zetec S fiesta to the ibiza and if i had to make the same choic again i wouldnt get the seat the build is as bad if not worse than ford and the facelifted mk6 ST fiesta is a good car (as long as u junk the factory pirellis for being poor)

Grapo

Jul 28, 2004
London
Thats rubbish Sted. The Seat is far better built than any of the the Fiestas. Especially the mk6, with its horrid horrid plasticky dash!

I agree about the statement about people wanting a good car out the box (not because there are next to no opportunities to tune my car). Some people want a good car as standard, others want a lesser car that can beat a better car when tuned.

Somehow this doesnt really make sense to me.

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
when i went to santa pod there was 2 fiesta st with all the trimmings they first raced a punto 1.8 and lost nad other got trashed by a old mazda 1.8 modded by another bazzer. then i was in the que and they where suppose to race me but wouldn't and told the bloke they would only run with each other so they did 2 more runs after that just against each other :confused:

my respect for them plummeted nice interior mind and sporty looking

1.8t or 19tsdi has better cheaper tuning promise and when getting older won't look like you drive a toy. with all the lines etc looks like silly.

drove a corolla t sport 1.8 vvt with 190 bhp with lether interior sat nav etc was nice to drive when got to 6k rpm it was like a turbo got thrown forward all the way to 8200 revs noise was sweet.
could only image 6 th gear at 6500 rpm :D

can see why people like the type r.

sales man was laughing said no customer has drove it like that on test drive lol toke it to 8200 1st 2nd and 3rd :funk: was real fun to drive smooth road noise no feeling bumps etc
and only £9000 2 yrs old and 15000 miles would cost 17000 new.

petrol costs would kill me! plus cupra tdi is faster standard!

sted

random wierdo
Grapo said:
Thats rubbish Sted. The Seat is far better built than any of the the Fiestas. Especially the mk6, with its horrid horrid plasticky dash!

I have more rattles and other annoying noises from things like the rear passenger side doorcard that comes and goes, cd tray etc than i ever did in the fiesta it jus dosent seem as well bolted together. I admit its not a good statistical sample 1 of each but its all i have and quite frankly i wish id kept my festa

Deleted member 12175

Sounds like you got a friday afternoon make. Im hoping they are not as bad as you make out to be. Not liking the Fiesta to plasticy and cheap

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
pbirkett said:
Someone always uses the tuning argument... its all very well getting a diesel tuned, but then the rest of the car is not up to the performance.

Some people do actually prefer a car to be good out of the box rather than feeling the need to spend thousands of pounds extra to make it as good as something that is like that standard - and all that money you spent could have been spent on an even better car.

Gotta agree, however by getting the Fr TDI/20VT if you are ever bitten by the tuning bug (which you will on here), you have room to move the car forwards performance wise. The TDI with a remap is quick, obviously the brakes will soon follow, but its an avenue to explore so you dont get bored with the car. The 1.8T you can in theory never get bored with! You can take it as far as you want. Its the extra option ontop of an already good car.
I got the cupra cause its good out of the box and never was into modding or tunning it, but you cant stay on SCN without falling pray to the tunning bug :(
Granted you can tune the fiesta, but a grand to take it to 210BHP using cosworth is a bit steep, when you can do it for around half the price in both ibiza's. Although you cant beat a normally aspirated engine... though i am getting into turbo's, or is it just all the torque????? :shrug:

T. Spark

sted said:
not sure to be honest i thing i still prefer my mk5 Zetec S fiesta to the ibiza and if i had to make the same choic again i wouldnt get the seat the build is as bad if not worse than ford and the facelifted mk6 ST fiesta is a good car (as long as u junk the factory pirellis for being poor)

LOL @ Sted - Im going to enjoy the next meet :D

Remind me to forward this thread to Loopy!

As said above, fiesta build quality isnt exactly the best. I test drive a Fiesta ST, wasnt the new 2006 version, but felt nasty inside, actually felt more plasticE than a Ibiza!!!

Which is rare to find! The 1.25 is even worst.... minsu the fact you can fling them over speed bumps at silly speeds and not feel a thing!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members