Oil Consumption Problem with Seat Leon 1.2 TSI 2014

Mahmoud Shokry

Sep 12, 2018
Egypt
Guys,

Please help me out! My Seat Leon 1.2 TSI 2014 started consuming too much oil since last service.

Approximately it consumes 1 litre for every 500km which is too much; I usually top up 1 liter every 2000km.

Current mileage is 146,000km

Did anyone experience similar problem?

I just purchased the car from a friend who owned it since day one. and he advised that this never happened before.

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
Guys,

Please help me out! My Seat Leon 1.2 TSI 2014 started consuming too much oil since last service.

Approximately it consumes 1 litre for every 500km which is too much; I usually top up 1 liter every 2000km.

Current mileage is 146,000km

Did anyone experience similar problem?

I just purchased the car from a friend who owned it since day one. and he advised that this never happened before.
Have they used the right oil?

If its happened since its last serviced they viscosity might be too thin

bagged fr , k1 rep , 19s

Reactions: xyz

Mahmoud Shokry

Sep 12, 2018
Egypt
Have they used the right oil?

If its happened since its last serviced they viscosity might be too thin

bagged fr , k1 rep , 19s

Yes I’m using Total 5W40 photo attached

3cbeab5b5da9b4c8b657704c256683c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
I had a 2013 model 1.2 and it drunk oil after its first year, complained and they investigated almost had a full engine rebuild to try to fix the issue luckily under warranty at the time.

It still drank oil between services but not quite as bad, recently got rid.

Current 1.4 hasn’t touched any oil at all in 8 months.

Reactions: xyz

salsajoe

Apr 12, 2017
Yorkshire
I would also be a little concerned at that level of usage. It has only done about 90k miles. Have you checked for an oil leak under the car? Could be the oil drain plug if just serviced. I think I remember that the oil drain plug was a recall issue for some VAG cars in the recent past.

Mahmoud Shokry

Sep 12, 2018
Egypt
The dealer service engineer informed me that it requires engine overhaul; but still not sure what parts exactly that need to be replaced. He mentioned that the pressure of 3 cylinders is not giving the correct figures. That was after a compression and leak test that they performed.

☹️☹️☹️☹️

Mahmoud Shokry

Sep 12, 2018
Egypt
Guys,

The service engineer called now and told me that they want to replace the spark plugs, oil and filter then I would use the car for 1000kms then go for another check. Then they can decide what is wrong!

If the spark plugs are faulty or reached their change interval; would they affect the oil consumption?

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Guys,

The service engineer called now and told me that they want to replace the spark plugs, oil and filter then I would use the car for 1000kms then go for another check. Then they can decide what is wrong!

If the spark plugs are faulty or reached their change interval; would they affect the oil consumption?

No. But incorrect oil spec could make a difference. If I was you, I'd do the 1000 km's and check consumption yourself. Check the oil at the start and end when the car's stone cold and on a level surface. Take pics.

Mahmoud Shokry

Sep 12, 2018
Egypt
No. But incorrect oil spec could make a difference. If I was you, I'd do the 1000 km's and check consumption yourself. Check the oil at the start and end when the car's stone cold and on a level surface. Take pics.

Should I be considering more viscous oil like 10w40 instead of 5w40?!

The engine milage now is 147,000km (is it considered old now?) and the dealer is using “Total” oil.

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
10 40 will just be thicker when it is cold

Once its up to tempreature it would still be a 40 grade all you could risk doing is reducing oil flow when the engine is cold

bagged fr , k1 rep , 19s

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
I think the end conclusion is regardless of oil youve got an terminal problem which will be resolved by

A.engine rebuild
B.second hand engine
C.sell the car for spares/repairs and buy another
D.set it on fire and claim on insurance lol

bagged fr , k1 rep , 19s