oil temp auto gauge fitting

craig lcr

Oct 19, 2006
cleveland
ive just got an temp gauge that i am trying to fit but im a bit confused with the wiring.:wtf:

ive searched but carnt find the answer.

the gauge has a yellow,purple,orange and black wires coming from it but which one do i connect to the sender that goes into the block?

brad1

If its an autogauge one, there should be a 3 other places on the back that wires connect to, 4 coloured wires, two other ones for the sender, live and earth plus another earth. Thats what i had on mine

craig lcr

Oct 19, 2006
cleveland
yeah there is so does that mean i should run the wires from the sender to the back of the gauge.

sorry not tryd anything like this before.

craig lcr

Oct 19, 2006
cleveland
pics of gauge front and back

DSC01048.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC01049.jpg
[/IMG]

the more i read the stupider i think i am just dont understand it at all maybe ill get sumone else to do it for me.

J0N

Defected!
No no, don't give up. This is just what these forums are for. Right, it's a different gauge from the one I'm using but I think I can see what you mean. The three terminals on the right hand side of the back of the gauge must be for the sender instead of having the three wires. I can't quite see what the letters say though, can you tell me if there is a letter next to any of these? Top, middle and bottom.

J0N

Defected!
Ah I see now. I would've thought that the 'S' is your green wire, the '+' is your red wire and the unmarked one is the black. Therefor the red (or white) wire on the sender connects to 'S', a permanent live connects to '+' and a good earth connects to the middle one.

craig lcr

Oct 19, 2006
cleveland
just wanting to say a thank you to Jonnyjonjon and others for the advice :worship:

finaly fitted the gauges tonight.didnt get chance to put the temp sendor in but ran the wire there for tomorows job.

DSC01051.jpg
[/IMG]

thanks again:clap:

Last edited:

craig lcr

Oct 19, 2006
cleveland
1 question when i had the glove box out i disconected the airbag but now the light is still on would it be removed with vag.com.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.