over heating lcr

jamesypyk

Gettin faster
Jan 14, 2009
pollok glasgow
Yes i no what your going to say use the search but its not answering my questions or putting my mind to rest .
well last night the car starterd been weird .temp gauge went over the 90oc mark but only when foot went down then came back down never went above 100 0r even 95 couldnt hear any fans
So came home and left it to this morning read post about fans not working tryd putting the aircon on but still no fans . car is at 45k do u think the impellar on my water pump is goosed would this cause this or do u thnk its somthing to do with the fans can any 1 help .

M14KCY

New
Jan 26, 2009
Scotland
Sounds like the water pump mate, people advise you get the timing belt changed when you do this as they have to remove it to get to the pump or something like that.

SEATgod

If the fans are not running and the air con is swuitched on (with an ambient of over 4 degrees) then the fans have burnt out!

This will either be a broken impeller on the water pump of a sticky thermostat!

Best to change the both at the same time, or remove the thermostart to check the water pump!

jamesypyk

Gettin faster
Jan 14, 2009
pollok glasgow
the fans have burnt out ? well its still coverd under warrenty autocare policy so that wont be a prob with the fans but ill be happy if its any ov the two . do youz think thats all it could be then

SEATgod

Basically, you have a two stage fan....or two fans

The water pump fails or the stat sticks so the fan cuts in and out on slow speed to control the engine temperature. You eventually burn this speed out.

The air con runs slow speed when it is engaged.

Once slow speed is burnt out the fans will cut in and out on fast speed, of course AC has to do the same thing to control system pressure....eventually that burns out too!

This is just down to the load on the fans!

I say fan speed one and two...it also works on fan number one and two if you have twin fans!

The source of the problem will be the cooling system.

I would also advise you check the fuses under the battery cover, is one fuse holder looking "melted"?

Make sure the ac ambient is above four degrees as below the ac will not cut in anyway...its all linked!

Can talk you thorugh it on phone if your stuckl! ;-)

jamesypyk

Gettin faster
Jan 14, 2009
pollok glasgow
i have checked. all fuses are ok . none melted or corroded. wen i press ac it comes on for 2 sec then turns off agian is this all related

SEATgod

Yeah...its too cold for AC!

The little icecle will flash then go out?

Jul 8, 2007
100% water pump mine was doin the same when i put the engine under any load i had a cracked impeller thing :)

jamesypyk

Gettin faster
Jan 14, 2009
pollok glasgow
well people got the car back and its still doing the same . still going above 90.oc its never done that . do u think the thermo. is gone or the fan switch .

andycupra

status subject to change
do you know if the water pump had failed? we need to know this really.

you could try changing the temp sensor as this isnt too much, it may be that the temp gauge is wrong giving high temps to dash, but as car isnt overheating the fans dont come on?
after that seems logical to change thermostat.

jamesypyk

Gettin faster
Jan 14, 2009
pollok glasgow
dont think it did wasnt any sign of damage no play turned freely.
true andy but my fans always came on even sitting for 1 min at lights they came on and not heard since its started happeening

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.