Owens development turbo project Octavia vRS.....

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
I thought that rolling roads are often inaccurate at calculating flywheel figures but the at the wheels figures should always either be accurate or low, but can't ever be high?

I've only had it rollign roaded twice since the IHI... once at Jabba and the other somewhere else (Can't remember where, but Bill you were there as was Wilko).... and it got 360bhp there IIRC.

Note that Owen Developments rate the IHI VF34 with P20 housing at 370bhp, so its not that unrealisitc is it? Plus I have the methanol injection.

Still, I'd actually be happy if the readings are optimistic... that means when I go to a true 425ish bhp the difference will be even greater than I thought. :)

Thanks
Ben

caney

Apr 24, 2005
I thought that rolling roads are often inaccurate at calculating flywheel figures but the at the wheels figures should always either be accurate or low, but can't ever be high?

I've only had it rollign roaded twice since the IHI... once at Jabba and the other somewhere else (Can't remember where, but Bill you were there as was Wilko).... and it got 360bhp there IIRC.

Thanks
Ben
mine made 360bhp/350ftlbs on a vf34/20g peaking at 1.8bar so it will do it.for how long though is a different matter:think:i only ever ragged mine on the 1/4 mile so maybe i was lucky;)sold the turbo on a year later,had it checked and all was fine-no damage.Wish i'd kept it on but got sucked in to this big power thing:blink:the other thing is at the 350bhp levels the 1.8t copes fine(reliable)above that imo is very high maintenance not to mention the lag!
steve

Last edited:

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
Thanks Steve,

So are you saying that you wish you'd never gone for 425bhp?

Really my main priority for now is reliability... if I knew for sure that the engine would cope with the current 360bhp with standard internals then I'd stick with that (For now). However, if I need uprated rods/pistons then I might as well up the power at the same time.

With regards to lag (Or boost threshold) and power delivery, that's why I'd like to see a graph of the Owens turbo on a 1.8T so that I can see how it compares to the IHI.

Thanks
Ben

caney

Apr 24, 2005
Thanks Steve,

So are you saying that you wish you'd never gone for 425bhp?

Really my main priority for now is reliability... if I knew for sure that the engine would cope with the current 360bhp with standard internals then I'd stick with that (For now). However, if I need uprated rods/pistons then I might as well up the power at the same time.

With regards to lag (Or boost threshold) and power delivery, that's why I'd like to see a graph of the Owens turbo on a 1.8T so that I can see how it compares to the IHI.

Thanks
Ben
in hindsight,i should of gone for a equivalent turbo tdo5/16g as it will take more boost and parts are available if things melt. also i wish i'd kept the nitrous on to add the power,my car made 415bhp/398ftlbs with ihi+50bhp of nos! all i can advise you on are my own personal experiences but 350/360bhp from a 1.8t makes for a reliable car just change the rods and stick some uprated valves in the head.my owens unit doesn't make 1 bar of boost till 4k,my ihi hit 1.8bar at 3.5k.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk

Note that Owen Developments rate the IHI VF34 with P20 housing at 370bhp, so its not that unrealisitc is it? Plus I have the methanol injection.

Still, I'd actually be happy if the readings are optimistic... that means when I go to a true 425ish bhp the difference will be even greater than I thought. :)

Thanks
Ben

it is unrealistic Ben.. trust me
Jabba's dimsport rollers are only inertia and optomistic.. their dynostar rollers are more on the money and read lower than their dimsport ones..

dyno dynamics are some of the less optomistic ones about.

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
It's all about picking the correct turbo spec for the car,in my opinion a gt3071r is ideal on a 1.8t and will produce 450bhp.vf34 will not make more than 340bhp.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
off topic - Ryan, I had a short drive in an EVO VII today that came in for brake bleed. (was empty of fluid after caliper change.. log job.. anyhows.. nice car. handling and turn in was lovely.. no wonder I have problems keeping up with the ones @ combe lol.. well sorted out of the box.
everything felt light too.. doors were light, boot, bonnet.. how much do these weigh?

h17och

the hunt is over. 460bhp
Sep 1, 2005
Dunstabubble
bens1. keep what you got mate.

ive been through k03, k03s, k04, gt28rs, gt3071r. made over 450 with the gt3071r but was hassle. gearbox shredded. too dangerous for road also.

what caney says is correct, you very well may regret.

put it this way....my new motor ive built is running k04, about to hybrid it. much happier with it

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
Hmmmm, ok thanks for the advice. Food for thought.

The problem I have is that uprating the internals and staying with the same power will cost around £3000. To add the Owens turbo would only cost another £1000 or so....

So do I really want to pay £3000 for no power increase when I can play a little more and get more power?

Maybe the smaller Owens turbo would be the better option?

I still need to see power graphs for the various turbo options though.

Wilko

Badge snob
Ben
Just pick up a spare motor for a few hundred quid, and keep it for if yours lets go. Much cheaper than chasing more power.
I have to agree with hooch and caney. Don't go down the more than 320hp route unless your pockets are very deep and you don't care.
I'm on my 9th turbo at over a grand a pop, 3rd gearbox, second engine, 4th clutch, and there's 30k+ in parts and labour in tuning chucked at it over the years.
IHI vf34 on a smallport running 1.4bar is a nice combo. It's also fairly reliable at that. Jabba did a good job on that kit. If you chase bigger numbers, everything else starts to go.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Badgerwagen 2005 built engine remains the same one I am using now..
evolution of turbo's and manifolds along the way in the name of trying different stuff out

Wringing the neck out of my original JS kit resulted in heartache and unreliability. Pe1820 was high 300's (395bhp) but ultimately proved unreliable in the crap hotside housing dept, and warped along with the Js mani. Nothing new there... they just run too hot bottled up on an undersize hotside.

The mutsi turbo's flow more, from their bigger housings etc.. and the 16G etc have optional larger housings.

Fitment on underslung JS mani will limit whats possible to fit down there.
The fact yours is still running is a testiment of its lack of use.
continue to not use it often will keep things lasting longer.

higher power, more drivetrain issues will happen.
g'box being one of them.

all down to where you draw the line

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
manifolds flange?
you on owens one now then john? 16G before? I've lost track.. you've run more than me :)

Wilko

Badge snob
No, oil return line flange to turbo. Manifold has a crack down the rear that blows when cold, but closes up when hot.
It's don 50K miles on big turbo, goiin vf34 18, vf34 20, vf34 20, vf34 20, Tdo5h 18G, Blouch dom II, owens gt30 hybrid (475 version)
Previously having K03s, and E05.

Had lots of bearing failures, a melted turbine, cracked exhaust housings, but never warped turbine housings or manifold.