Parts and Prices?

Jordo

Mar 8, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland.
I have just bought a Seat Ibiza GTi 8v. (R reg)
As you would expect It wasn't exactly in supreme condition. There are a few things wrong with it and as it's the first car of this type I have owned, I have no idea where to source parts and how much they will cost. Most of the stuff is just trivial but I'll list it all anyway.

Things that are wrong:

Rear wheel arch rust (both sides)
Handbrake/Gear lever handles worn.
Driver side door lock out of place (I can only assume it had been broken into).
It has 17" Wolfrace wheels but there is ALOT of rubbing. Any tips on the best size of wheels would help.
ABS light is on but I got the car with a years MOT?

I think that's all but if I find anything else i'll post it up.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
Standard 8v wheels are 15", I'm running 195/50/15 tyres.

ABS light is on. but it 'passed' the MOT? Either the ABS failed after the MOT, or the MOT station is friendly. Probably just a sensor, you need to get the fault code read (vag-com software or similar). I would then re-MOT it, you don't know what else is wrong.

Jordo

Mar 8, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland.
I thought it was a bit iffy but when I drove the car it ran like a dream. It was going cheap too. It's just had new discs and pads on the front, new clutch and it's only done 87,501 miles exactly. I'm assuming the light came on after the MOT. The brakes feel fine to me. Are ABS sensors not expensive?

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
In the region of £20 from GSF Car Parts or Euro Car Parts if my memory serves! Fairly easy job to change a sensor - when you know which one it is!

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
ABS will be a sensor, one may have got dirty in the brake swap or the disturbance has finally finnished one off. As said they're cheap.

Rusty arches on both sides any where £200-£300 would see a good job, but make sure it is one!

Handbrake and gear selector handles are an ebay job i'm afraid as i'm pretty sure you can't get them anymore.

Stick to 15 or 16 inch rims on a mk2 or your gonna get scrubbage.

Welcome to MK2 ownership!

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
I think there's a repair kit available, maybe a search will bring something up. I have a feeling you might find one on ebay.

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
my drivers side door lock messed up not long ago, and loads of helpful people told me to...
open the door, then take the rubber gromit (just like a cover off) its in line with the door lock,
then undo the allen key, then face the lock, slide to the right,
then pull out, the barrel might have broke, check it,

if it has its very cheap mate, got 2 barrels and 2 springs for like £2.54 i think
also if it is broke i suggest undoing the other side to see how it is set up!

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
In theory, yes. But it would have to be a very low profile 17" to get a similar rolling radius to a 15". Ride and handling will both be shot to pieces too.

People with practical sized tyres on 17's tend to find they get scrubbage.

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
In theory, yes. But it would have to be a very low profile 17" to get a similar rolling radius to a 15". Ride and handling will both be shot to pieces too.

what alpine said!
the lower the profile, the less the quality of ride and handling!

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort

I understand what you're saying, but (being pedantic) rather than Cupra Kid's "Stick to 15 or 16 inch rims on a mk2 or your gonna get scrubbage" isn't it more like "If you want to run 17s without 'scrubbage' then you'll have to go with low profile tyres which will affect the ride and handling"

Ride and handling will both be shot to pieces too.

A bit harsh maybe? The 16v runs 16" wheels as standard doesn't it? So increasing the wheel size by 1" and decreasing the tyre aspect ratio to match the standard rolling radius doesn't seem like a sufficiently big change to cause anything to be "shot to pieces". Affected, yes. Adversely affected, possibly. But shot to pieces?

the lower the profile, the less the quality of ride and handling!

I agree with you about the ride quality, but are you saying that the handling of the 16v on standard 16s is worse than the 8v on standard 15s?

I don't pretend to know much about these cars, and I'm not trying to antagonise anyone (although it might look like it), but when I bought my Ibiza it had 17s with 205/40 17 tyres fitted. The ride is hard (suspension is modified too), but the handling is OK and I have no issues with rubbing (and I've been trying hard). I don't think the OP should get the idea he has to junk his 17" wheels when it is not necessarily the case.

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
I understand what you're saying, but (being pedantic) rather than Cupra Kid's "Stick to 15 or 16 inch rims on a mk2 or your gonna get scrubbage" isn't it more like "If you want to run 17s without 'scrubbage' then you'll have to go with low profile tyres which will affect the ride and handling"

Hence why I said 'practical size' - as opposed to the ~30-35 profile you'd need in order to maintain the rolling radius.

A bit harsh maybe? The 16v runs 16" wheels as standard doesn't it? So increasing the wheel size by 1" and decreasing the tyre aspect ratio to match the standard rolling radius doesn't seem like a sufficiently big change to cause anything to be "shot to pieces". Affected, yes. Adversely affected, possibly. But shot to pieces?

I'll give you that one :)

I agree with you about the ride quality, but are you saying that the handling of the 16v on standard 16s is worse than the 8v on standard 15s?

I don't pretend to know much about these cars, and I'm not trying to antagonise anyone (although it might look like it), but when I bought my Ibiza it had 17s with 205/40 17 tyres fitted. The ride is hard (suspension is modified too), but the handling is OK and I have no issues with rubbing (and I've been trying hard). I don't think the OP should get the idea he has to junk his 17" wheels when it is not necessarily the case.

I've not been in a standard 16v, so I can't speak from experience. Of course it's a balance between ride quality (comfort) and handling (response). The cars were fitted with 15/16 inch wheels for a reason.

From what I've read, most problems occur with passengers in the rear.

I had typed out a better reply, but my laptop battery died!

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
that's not fair, my 8v doesn't have ABS!! *stamps feet*although at the mo,it doesn't have fook all brakes really,hehe. i obviously got the one made when pedro was feeling stingy or is this another gti vs cupra sport debate?? :D

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.