PD160 intake and green panel filter rolling road results.

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
Hey guys another post for today as about 2 months ago i done an experiment which many said would show a small gain. My remapped fr tdi, was remapped by angel tuning, advertised at 180+. I went onto by green panel filter and a pd160 air intake. I went to hillington rolling road, where they have a reputable modern rolling road, i went on a saturday for my rolling road run got my figures and i was happy with them. getting just over 180bhp but my torque was lower than what was advertised. i didnt really mind. Advertisment said about 310ftlbs of torque it came out at 280ftlbs. The temperature was 18.2C. The following week i went again this time with new green panel filter and pd 160 air intake. To my dismay, i lost exactly 2 bhp, and exactly 5ftlbs of torque? The temp was 13.4C. Here are my two factors:-

.Rolling Road 1 (remap)
max power 182.7bhp at 4,061rpm
max torque 280.9 ftlbs of torque at 2,314rpm
correction factor 101.7 %
Temp 18.2C
Barometric Pressure 994 mBar

.Rolling Road 2 (remap,PD160 intake,green panle filter)
max power 180.7 bhp at 3,917 rpm
max torque 275.9 ftlbs of torque at 2,256rpm
correction factor 99.4%
Temp 13.4C
Barometric Pressure 1009 mBAR

I took out the pd 160 air intake as i guessed thats what was causing the power loss, the guy said it could be as simple as diff fuel used, he did say however the sharpness of drop at peak torque suggested the intake may have caused a decrease. he said the panel filter may make a positive difference by itself with the standard flow from the standard fr intake. I'm just wondering what people are thinking, could it possibly be that i did not give the car ecu enough time to adjust to the new amount of air intake, or is this normal, i did the 2 rolling roads delibratly to see the gain. Any advice would be much appreciated as i would like to put the pd160 on if indeed the ecu could benefit from it. Cheers

iain1970

I ♥ TDI
Apr 19, 2005
The Wrong side of the Pennines
I fitted a PD160 intake and Green Cotton filter to my FR TDI in May this year. The car has been running a Revo stage one remap for 12 months without any further modifications and has been fine.

The new parts seemed to make the car less willing out on the orad and I noticed a drop in MPG too. I returned to the standard intake and paper filter a couple of weeks later and I'm much happier.

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
I'm just wondering what people are thinking

i'm guessing if you have the parts in prior remapping the ecu should adapt better...but in theory the ecu does take a few 100miles to adapt

I returned to the standard intake and paper filter a couple of weeks later and I'm much happier.

this may be because you have restricted the amount of airflow and therefore the ecu is tuning down to burn less fuel...giving you better mpg

in any situation, if fitting the upgraded parts was not benficial for higher power output then the Cupra's wouldn't be fitted with them as standard, possibly having the FMIC helps as well (which is the way i'm going)

Last edited:

teepee4bh

Returning old timer
Apr 19, 2009
Durham
generic re-maps are designed using std filter, exhaust and intake pipes.

i suppose same happens on intake as exhaust. play with backpressure / restrictions and things change.

antnee

If you look at the PD130 and 160 intakes side by side, the 160 is much wider, so allowing more air in, using the basic principle of more air=more bang=more power. As has been said the ECU does usually take a while to adjust.

There is no way a more free flowing part allowing more air into the engine will lose power.

Also remember, people sometimes have 3 RR runs in a day and there can be 10bhp difference between the runs!

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
If you look at the PD130 and 160 intakes side by side, the 160 is much wider, so allowing more air in, using the basic principle of more air=more bang=more power. As has been said the ECU does usually take a while to adjust.

There is no way a more free flowing part allowing more air into the engine will lose power.

Also remember, people sometimes have 3 RR runs in a day and there can be 10bhp difference between the runs!

Agreed RR can produce 10bhp difference at different times

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.