PhilW's Mk3 Ibiza Project Thread - 3071 - Now Breaking!

Feb 22, 2009
South Wales
agree with Tom car sounded great on tuesday

will give green light a call and let them know you are stealing from them

how can they cover that amount of mods for so little

LOL

will give them a try when my renwal is due

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Pressure tested the intercooler pipework today and found about 4 massive leaks, and i mean massive.

At 1.5 bar it does drop but slowly down to 1bar but we cant hear any leaks so im guessing its just bleeding through the valves.

Can you test the external gate for leaks?

My vac gauge is still low, like 10in/hg but theres no leaks i can find.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Im also thinking my MAF is toast as well, having some major boost leaks the duty would be higher to meet the requested so in theory the MAF values should be higher than a system that has no leaks.

Peak at 223g/s at 1.3bar on 73mm MAF is pretty low i think.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Thats what ive read Bill, is that why you run your controller to the top port only?

If i pressuerised the top port it should hold what the spring is rated to?

its not why I just used single port no, its just coincidence.
it was simpler for me to use just the one port thats all

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
its not why I just used single port no, its just coincidence.
it was simpler for me to use just the one port thats all

I think i might do that, makes sense to me as you're just introuducing a leak no matter how you look at it.

Spoke to CR Turbos this morning about the smoking, they reccomended running a second restrictor on the filter housing as the smoking is worse on startup which dies when the oil pressure drops and oil temps rise.

So i made one. :)

684ed5a6.jpg

Oil change this week and fit that and hopefully will be all good. :)

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Like an idiot i didnt even check the oil feed connection, i took it that it would be the same as the top one which ive used for my oil pressure gauge, m10x1, only to be reminded that its a bloody banjo bolt! lol.

Now im stumped. I need to change the oil but ive run out of ideas as to whats causing the smoking on startup and for about 5-10mins of driving, worse on startup then slowly gets better until it disappears.

I checked the oil drain and it looks ok, no kinks or bends but it doesnt exactly take the best path down to the sump so im thinking about re-doing that to make sure oil doesnt back up in the return.

Ive now hooked the EBC up to the top port of the WG as the bottom one was leaky as hell like you've pointed out Bill.

Im going to replace the MAF to rule that out as well.

Wish i had a bloody garage.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Could it be the turbo thats leaking the oil? As in its fooked.

Its without a doubt the turbo leaking oil yeah, but doesnt smoke at all once warmed up.

Doesnt seem good, i'd rather know if its ****ed then i can sort it out but until it either goes bang or i eliminate things i got no idea.

But then i am using Halfords motorsport oil which might not be the best, got Silkolene Pro S 10w50 to in this weekend.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
PM sent thanks Bill.

Little update. And its good news all round.

Smokin situation, basically i started the car tonight and just let it idle, no smoke, let the engine warm up for a minute or two until the revs drop and the pressure lowers a little then i can drive it easy until the pressre drops, what i noticed is it only smokes under more loads very early on whilst running. So it seems like ive solved that one.

Fuelling wise, i reset all fuelling tweak back to standard as i wanted to see if the boost leak testing has helped and low and behold its running like a dream.

Block 032 is showing 0.2% and 11.7% after 20 miles and hardly moves from that.

MAF figures are up, 240g/s @ 6300 in third running just under 1.5bar.

And fuelling seems spot on. Mid 11's all the way.

Its pulling too much timing which i need to tweak but the thing absolutely shifts! Gettin a bar of boost now at 4500 so thats dropped abit.

Gettin there. :D

(i might be on the dyno sunday as well. :whistle:)

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members