power steering fault

ritchie roo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi, newbie here desparately wanting an answer, i have searched the forum loads but i can't find the answer anywhere even though others have had the same or similiar problems.
the power steerng light/ system has an intermittent fault, sometimes the light comes on and the steering is fine other times you get partial loss of assistance and when its really moody it doesn't work at all. i've topped up the fluid (pain of a job for what it is) repaired the load signal cable (snapped) as described in the common faults section, lasted all of two days and the lights back on, had the battery checked but its alright (considering changing it anyway), had the steering position sensor out, bit damp so dried it in the house and sealed it back in, did that in the summer to try not to get any more moisture into the rack.
i've read seat generally just change parts ramdonly but that doesn't seem to work and just burns your wallet.
i should really mention its an cordie '53 tdi se (130) and the problem gets significantly worse as winter comes, had to put up with the missis moaning about it last year and i can't face it again
thanks in advance to any of you kind people for your input
(i originally posted this in the cordie section and thought its worth giving it a punt to the ibiza owner)

pete34a

Jan 9, 2009
Sounds obvious, but have you plugged it into VAG-com?

My faulty steering angle sensor caused similar problems. It brought up a fault on VAG-com. Replaced it and it's been fine ever since.

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
if it ONLY does it first time in the day and is worse in winter it's most likely the battery especially if it's original, try starting it in stages wait for the glow light to go out -after approx 4 seconds you will hear a click then turn the starter if all is ok it's the battery, it's not shot just past it's best- mines been like this for 4 winters now :)

ritchie roo

thanks for the replys, i fitted a new battery yesterday, it was slowly dying, light came back on first start day after, after driving around a bit taking an opportunity in traffic to restart the car it clears, which it didn't do before, but then repeated starts on an ailing battery is not gonna do it any favours, i have had the car on 2 different diagnostics machines but i don't think either were vag com, i've got a mate who i think has it so the next stop is his house, thanks again for the posts

SEATgod

I recommend you replace the main earth harness between the power steering pump behind the front bumper and the chassis rail.

There have been a few instances where corrosion has set in and caused high resistance, this of course reduces the availble voltage for the pump to operate properly at high pressures.

I "believe" you can now get this as a seperate part.

laawtytdi

Jan 12, 2009
North West
Hey guys,

i've got a similar fault on ibiza 56 plate. when ignition turned on there's a loudish droaning noise coming from what i can gather the power steering pump?? had to remove passenger side spotlight to get to source of noise. sometimes if i move steering wheel and start engine power steering works but mostly it doesn't.
where's the steering angle sensor located??

any help wold be great