R32 air intake upgrade

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
I haven't got the parts yet, but yeah you need to make the hole wider on the lower airbox, or you can get a new lower airbox to make it fit however its in the region of £65! Apparently the top half of the R32 box has a bigger MAF, but a standard top half and R32 bottom half do fit together (apparently).

I'm planning on just making the hole wider, which is what i would of had to of done if I went down the tubing route

jgo

Sorry 777cupra I assumed you had LCR. I should get the lower headlight cover and snorkel around the 25th. Like you said, looks like the Dremel will be coming out to play. Hook or by crook that bigger pipe will be fitted to the car!:D

jgo

Well it fitted! A few alteration are need to the under headlight tray as on LCR there no were near the same as the R32 one. I basically increased the hole size on the one on the LCR and then cut the bigger fitting on the R32 cover and silicone it over the top with heat proof silicone. I then increased the hole into the air box to take the increased size of the snorkel. To seal it I got a inertube repair patch from Halfords and silicone it over the air box to create an air tight seal around the snorkel. Bobs your uncle and fannies your aunt.

This is not a guide I am just telling you what I've done to fit it.

I can say there no more noise apart from the DV30 valve, I can now hear it in fifth and six gear after pushing hard.

The performance seems to have increase top end, and the car also seems to rev more easily.

After all I am happy with it.:D

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
I'm really interested in this mod. Although I'll have to find a new home for my HID ballast fitted to the battery tray.

Any updates 777cupra or are you still waiting for the parts?

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Yes Sheff boy still waiting for the bits however just chased them up and they are due in tomorrow..(27th) so my plan is to get them and get them on the car then! Hopefully will be a bit simpler for me to fit as I only have cupra so no second intercooler.

I'll also let you guys know where I put my HID ballast as its current home will be taken up by a big pipe!

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
Yes Sheff boy still waiting for the bits however just chased them up and they are due in tomorrow..(27th) so my plan is to get them and get them on the car then! Hopefully will be a bit simpler for me to fit as I only have cupra so no second intercooler.

I'll also let you guys know where I put my HID ballast as its current home will be taken up by a big pipe!

I was thinking the same about the fitment. Hopefully it will be straight swop for us LC owners ;)

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Finally fitted...The verdict so far

Finally got the bits today and fitted them....gonna be a bit of a mixed verdict here so please read all.

First this is how I went about fitting them:

Firstly I took out the airbox and the old "pipe" and the top part air intake around the head light. This was all fairly easy and I'm sure many of you have done this before, jsut a few screws and a nut.

Then it came to remove the bottom bit of plastic which goes below the head light, and forms part of the air intake...this is a right pain it the backside to get out...i ended up removing the battery, and the plastic tray under the batter, still no joy something was holding it on. The are a couple plastic bolts which hold it in on the sides and 2 underneath hidden away.

I took away the near side wheel arch lining and jacked the car up and you can get a better view from here. After going at it for a fair while managed to prize them out and the bit of plastic came free all be it a little bit cracked....not to worry I have a new one to replace that with i thought.....and its got a nice big hole.

so with all the old bits out I came to try and fit the new bits.

I managed to make the hole into my lower airbox big enough to take the new large pipe. If you take the rubber bit surrounding the hole off in one peice you can use it on the new pipe to make it fit the hole better.

then came fitting the bits around the headlight...due to them being deeper they dont fit properly :cry: however with some persuasion I got the bottom tray in and connected to the new large pipe "result!".

The battery and everything else fitted in ok....however the new upper plastic air intake around the air intake would not go in, I tryed cutting bits off etc...it may still go in once i've shortened it but I was losing patience with it.

so what I have done is used the old "upper part" of the head light intake which kinda fits and looks ok....however there is a gap of an inch or which isn't covered so I may be losing some "forced air effect".

so I need to look at it again maybe.

However the difference so far
  • an improvement in induction noise (especially at heavy throttle)
  • Better/smoother acceleration
  • throttle feels more responsive
  • haven't tryed yet but i'm expecting top end to be better as car feels like it has plenty more to give

Overall verdict is....it's a worth while mod. However it may be far simpler to just purchase the larger pipe, and cut a bigger hole in your old head light intake plastic.

any developments I'll post....any body else trys this I'd like to hear from to!

Oh yeh another piece of good news....still room for the HID ballast!

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
i've got some pics of the new pieces and I've yet to take pics of them installed, as light was fading when i finished...i will do and get some up

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
good work mate. If you could get some pics up when possible that would be good.

hoggy90

Full time sexaholic
Nov 14, 2009
Scotland
did you get any pictures taken of this mod mate? as im looking at doing this to my remapped leon tdi? would it work?

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
RDS has this mod on his LCR, search the reader's rides section for threads started by RDS - there's some info on it in the first couple of pages.

No idea if it would work on your TDI but if the layout of the airbox and intake etc. are the same then no reason why not.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise