R32 air intake upgrade

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Robbie, what sort of CAI/filter setup have you got just now? If you've already got a cone and some sort of conduit-type feed this would likely be a backwards step.

EDIT - I'm using a trimmed down OEM LCR snorkel with a Jetex cone and Jabbasport heatshield but if/when I get round to the R32 intake I'll take before and after logs.

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Robbie, what sort of CAI/filter setup have you got just now? If you've already got a cone and some sort of conduit-type feed this would likely be a backwards step.

EDIT - I'm using a trimmed down OEM LCR snorkel with a Jetex cone and Jabbasport heatshield but if/when I get round to the R32 intake I'll take before and after logs.

I run a Jetex on the end of a B5 TIP, i have no CAI, :whistle: i know, shame on me, its something i have been over looking for a while, bit as i have an open cone i cannot see really how it will help.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
I think the theory is that the car moving forward will force air into the intake and if there's a feed directing it at the filter then air makes its' way into the turbo more quickly than if it dissipates into the engine bay and the turbo has to scoop it up as best it can. That's the technical explanation :)

Personally I'm on the fence re. CAIs on cone filters, the turbo speed is controlling airflow for the most part and unless you enclose the cone in a more-or-less sealed box you can't build pre-pressurised air for it like you can with an airbox. I considered doing the whole R32 intake thing including the airbox but the 'box is about £90, the other parts come to around £25 - £30 depending on how greedy your local stealer is. £90 is a lot to pay for an airbox that might not actually fit, never mind hold and flow much more air.

You could mod a stock LCR airbox to accept the larger snorkel but personally I couldn't be arsed with that. Part numbers and some info are here if anyone's feeling flush :) - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2772457

reflexuk

Future member
Jul 16, 2008
Nr Chesterfield Derbyshire
It's not about forced air, it's not even much about cold air (though the colder the better) but really about volume, particularly with the tdi which takes a full gulp every gulp. TDIClub have a 12page thread on the subject and they like a 3inch+ flexy hose to a front grill apeture just as much.

Still nobody offered much in the way of before / after results. (dissapointment)

Last edited:

Alfalfa91

May 28, 2015
Hi,

Was this from a mk4 r32 or a mk5 r32? also was it a direct fit or was there some dicking about?

Can you fit it to a mk4 ibiza 1.9tdi fr?

cheers

Last edited:

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Hi sorry not been on the forum much for a while as have SORN my Leon and using my other cars more, don't think I did ever take any pics - looks very similar to the pics at the start from the vw forum.

I still don't have vagcom or similar so can't provide concrete evidence just the same opinion as earlier in the thread.

If I had the choice I'd do the mod again, and would say it's worth while I don't want to go back to standard intake. So that may sway anyone whose on the fence about it.

In answer to other questions, i believe it would be OK on a remapped car.

It was from a mk4 R32 there was minor "dicking about" to get up to fit as I mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm not sure about the Ibiza however I can't see any reason in principle why the mods wouldn't work.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.