Regal Autosport Vf Engineering RS/S S3

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Ahh I see, ok well Ill probably leave it then, I was planning on setting up another RR day like the Prosport day we had so thought I may be able to tag along on this one..

When I get some more info ill post on here, my idea is to have some really nice examples of tuned cars there on the day, VAG stuff basically..

Heres the latest pic of the car since a few extra things being played with! :)

IMG_5432.jpg

Jonny

Your welcome to tag along, and I'm sure Jim will squeeze you in (I can get a confirmation on this). You won't find a better RR day consisting of a variety of big turbo VAG cars to be honest at the moment. It looks like it will be a belter of a day for silly powered VAG. :)

Just can't open it upto a whole raft of others because its pretty much full, and though Awesome will no doubt squeeze yours in, they can't squeeze in another 10 cars or anything.

Up to you anyway, if you want me to have a word I will.

caveo

Im completely chilled :) but it doesnt look like im going to get anywhere here..

Im very happy with all of the work and the result (which is the most important thing) and have no reason to believe that its running anything less than 400bhp after a couple of run in's with some different cars..

I would just like to know why you are so skeptical of the figures?

The S3 runs a much bigger intercooler as standard and higher compression over the Golf GTI's 2.0T FSI engine, combined with the larger than standard RS/S turbo, thats the difference in power..

APR have made 420+ WHP on a GT2871R turbo fitted to a MK5 GTI in the US.. It is possible with this turbo..

After a couple of run in's :cartman: Then mine ( IHI mk1 leon 320 bhp ) is running well over 400 too as i can " keep up with an RS4":rolleyes:

jonnyc

Sep 3, 2008
Yeah 30mph to 100mph..

The times are good, its not really a common test though, I didnt have enough room for a 30-130 test..

Still a few of you guys should give it a go and post the results!

Jonny

Ianb

Nov 13, 2003
I think they've since removed it (after GTI Inters) as the power was too much for the DSG box. NO uprated clutch packs out yet for the DSG you see.

I heard somewhere they've stuck the APR K04 upgrade pack on their now instead for demo purposes.

Mark at Awesome uses the car on an everyday basis. I was at AWESOME a few weeks ago in the MK5 with the APR Stage 3 kit.....brilliant with the DSG box......scarily quick.:blink:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
i was lucky enough to have had a ride in a new Scirocco last week. 2.0t fsi DSG
nice car..

Did a scarey thing tho!
On launch from standing start, it launched well, but crossed over some old roadworks during its 1st, 2nd gear scrabbling... and BANG BANG as it crossed over the old roadworks (90 degrees across the carriage way) and then the car did an emergency stop. On its own!!!!!! I **** you not. Driver was flat on the throttle, the car stopped dead on its own.

Thats a scarey side effect of electronics and emergency brake assist.

DSG was lovely, but there are clearly bugs in the system and a serious accident could occur if pushing on hard, over pot holes if it was the transmission shock load which triggered the emergency stop. (on its own!)

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
nice car..

Did a scarey thing tho!
On launch from standing start, it launched well, but crossed over some old roadworks during its 1st, 2nd gear scrabbling... and BANG BANG as it crossed over the old roadworks (90 degrees across the carriage way) and then the car did an emergency stop. On its own!!!!!! I **** you not. Driver was flat on the throttle, the car stopped dead on its own.

DSG was lovely, but there are clearly bugs in the system and a serious accident could occur if pushing on hard, over pot holes if it was the transmission shock load which triggered the emergency stop. (on its own!)

:blink: now that would not be nice especially with the extra power the 2.0t fsi engines are being mapped to. Wonder if this may also happen on some of the older 2.0t fsi engined cars. Where is the brown trouser smiley when you need it!

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Did a scarey thing tho!

OMG! that is bloody scary! Freaks me out when ESP triggers when unexpected . But to stop you dead is just dangerous:blink: Hate being a passenger in my own car.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
It is just that dangerous. thinking same scenario but accelerating hard, its scrabbling, hit a pot hole mid corner and BANG, emergency stop mid corner, leaves on the road... ESP is good but I would shudder to think of the consequence of it deciding emergency stop was a good idea at that moment in time.

:no:

nickolaus

hello

Hello ai absoluty love your car ai have a sprinblau my self but its wery slow ai think ai been looking for som tuning but ai want around 400 hp and ai did find turbokits and so long for a3 fwd but not the same can you help with which stuff ai shuld buy and from where ai live in sweden you know cherrrs nickolaus

jonnyc

Sep 3, 2008
Hey

Finally managed to get a quick vid of the car on my mates drive way, from 1st gear at 10mph to 7000rpm in 3rd (thats all the room we had)

Anyways gives you an idea :)

Sorry about the terrible quality, was a phone camera..

Jonny

warren_cox

Back from the dead
With Revo, DV, & Carbonia intake / panel filter, NGK Iridiums and a bellyful of 99RON we were seeing around 310bhp. I can't believe the simple addition of an exhaust would take it anywhere near 358bhp even with the fuel pump mod.

To be honest, and I know it's hard to be exact, the S3 feels like a 300bhp car. If you get launch right its quick off the mark, but TBH I've had so many continuous ongoing niggles I've given up on this one. It's still due back in for the gearbox to be investigated as we are getting some unusual knocking noises so I'm just waiting for it to outlive its usefulness so I can trade it back in now. Don't get me wrong, its a very good car, but the drivetrain leaves a bit to be desired, and I'm frustrated as hell as I had plans to make this an eventual 350bhp keeper. Now I'm just saving up for a new M3 instead.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Let me just add to this.

400hp is possible with the GT2871R and the 2.0T FSI.

Im running 380-385hp on mine (two different dyno's) with a nice graph. This is set to be the safe limit for the internals.

The S3 does have different compression to the other varietys of the 2.0T FSI's that would amount to extra power.

I reckon if stupidly tuned you could get 340-350hp out of the k04 stock turbo, but that would be the worse map ever.

with race gas, well over 400hp WHP has been achaived on the 200hp version of the engine. (with a 2871R)

Im a bit skeptical on johnnys figures though, although im sure its around 400 hp.

would be geat for johnny to get to a RR day and prove the doubters wrong though lol...

Last edited:

Ianb

Nov 13, 2003
I hope Johnny can attend the Awesome RR day as I'm intrigued too.

Would be be very impressive to give those figures on stock turbo. It's even more potent than my old bus.

Ianb

Nov 13, 2003
nice car..

Did a scarey thing tho!

I test drove the new Rocco at my local stealers but it was a manual version in blue.

Felt very strong and the chassis and handling a revelation compared to the MKIV (OUT OF THE BOX!)

Very tempted to buy one now my MKIV is up for sale.:rolleyes:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.