Removing front springs without shocks

g8rvn

Apr 7, 2008
Tamworth, Staffs
I was just wandering, would it be at all possible to remove the springs off the front suspension struts on a 1.4 16v without actually taking the strut out of the hub and then put new ones in? I only say this because I dont want to mess around with hub spreaders and stuff if I can just swing it all forward somehow...?

Ive just seen a post in one of the Leon sections and someone seems to think it can be done, just wandering if you could do it on an ibiza?

basssound

May 31, 2007
Rotherham, South Yorkshire!
Erm nope nope and most certainly nope, you have to take out the whole strut, you then need to compress the spring with would you believe it 'spring compressors'.
Undo the top nut and voila, remove and replace the spring, fit in reverse order.

g8rvn

Apr 7, 2008
Tamworth, Staffs
ah right okay, it just made me wander because of something in the Leon bit.

Suppose I do have a long weekend to get on it and do the job properly...

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
changing front suspension is a horrible job if you don't have the right tools :( It's hard enough getting the original struts out, but refitting them is even harder cos they're so long compared to coilovers!

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Plus the driver's side is a pain in the arse, ideally you need to remove the driveshaft to be able to drop the hub low enough. You can do it without though if you're inventive/brave/clever enough :)

ljpacey

aka captin slow!!
Jan 19, 2009
Plus the driver's side is a pain in the arse, ideally you need to remove the driveshaft to be able to drop the hub low enough. You can do it without though if you're inventive/brave/clever enough :)
yer i had a right fight with mine but we did it in the end :funk: oh yer you mite find out that your front wishbone bushs have gone cose mine was fine untill i lowerd her :(

g8rvn

Apr 7, 2008
Tamworth, Staffs
ah briliant, it just gets better lol

I just got quoted £120 to get a garage to fit them, might save some time and some skin on my knuckles too by the sound of it...