Repaired the car... but still a problem

kineticz

Forever moddin'
Jul 23, 2008
Shropshire
www.wepaintanypart.co.uk
OK, so the car drives straight now and the gearbox/driveshaft is all good. However, when driving I can hear something rubbing on and off and on and off etc as the wheel spins. When I push my foot on the brake I can physically feel something scraping through the pedal as it rubs.

I'm thinking maybe the brake disc is bent? Could anything else cause this?

Many thanks dudes/dudettes

Mrski1

May 12, 2008
Aberdeen
Happened on a totally different car I owned, a Ford Puma, would give off a horrible intermitant grinding which could be felt though the pedal.

Robb1990

May 14, 2008
how much did you replace? new hub, yes? i would of thought bent disk if thats not been replaced tbh. abs ring fault would bring up dash light. under hard braking/accelerating. does the car pull?

Robb1990

May 14, 2008
yep. sounds very likely imo. cheaper than an abs ring, only trouble is, you'll have to do both sides with pads too. hehe arnt cars fun?!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Happened on a totally different car I owned, a Ford Puma, would give off a horrible intermitant grinding which could be felt though the pedal.

if it happened when you pressed hard or the odd slippy surface that would be the abs working :)

kineticz

Forever moddin'
Jul 23, 2008
Shropshire
www.wepaintanypart.co.uk
OK update:

This morning I went out in the car and the ABS warning light was ON, but the rubbing disappeared :| I then stopped and started the engine again, the ABS light went OFF and the rubbing started again.

So it can't be a warped disc?? I'm confused and annoyed as I've ordered a set of new discs :(

kineticz

Forever moddin'
Jul 23, 2008
Shropshire
www.wepaintanypart.co.uk
If this helps also, when I repaired the hub, I noticed the wiring loom had torn. I managed to wire the cable that leads to a sensor which points towards the wheel as it spins, but there was another cable with only two wires in which is still disconnected. This is because I couldn't see where it is meant to lead :S

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
If this helps also, when I repaired the hub, I noticed the wiring loom had torn. I managed to wire the cable that leads to a sensor which points towards the wheel as it spins, but there was another cable with only two wires in which is still disconnected. This is because I couldn't see where it is meant to lead :S

That I think sounds like the brake pad warning sensor wire.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
As fpr the grinding, have you checked the caliper to make sure the piston is retracting properly - also check to see if there is a big rust lip around the edge of the disc. Also check to see that the stoneguard doesn't have something trapped in it.

Only other thing I can think of is err ... well i can'tt :)

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
I don't use that sensor but then my pads have no sensor wire in them. You can join the wires together to get rid of the idiot light ( please check it's the brake pad warning wiring before doing this!!!! )

I wonder if the grinding was related to the abs sensor asking the abs to do something when not needed and now it's not active ( crap in the sensor / crap on the abs ring) it's working normally? Or do you still get grinding when you brake?

kineticz

Forever moddin'
Jul 23, 2008
Shropshire
www.wepaintanypart.co.uk
When the ABS light is off, I get grinding/feedback when driving slow, and grinding/a pulsing feeling through the pedal when braking.

When the ABS light came on, there was no grinding and the braking was fine mate

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
I would fit your new discs for starters and go from there - the abs light shouldn't be on as far as i'm aware unless there's a problem with it - the symptom of WORKING abs is grinding and pulsing feeling through the pedal - but only when you're braking and the system detects that you're skidding. ABS should not be applying under normal driving. If the ABS light is on then that would indicate the ABS is disabled / not working / faulty.

Have you got Vagcom to scan the car for faults?