Rev Limiter Broken!

paulious

Hi,
This is for my mates Seat Ibiza 1.2 (3 cylinder)

Basically if the revs went over 5k (just before redline) the orange engine light would come on immediately and it would be running on 2 cyclinders. Vag-com reported ignition problem on cylinder 3 so fitted new coil packs and sparks which were both genuine parts but now it will rev right up to the red line for a good 5-10 seconds without the limiter kicking in then the original orange light problem and ignition on cyclinder 3 is back. Turning the engine off and back on would remedy it until you redline it again. Please anyone with any ideas?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
At the risk of stating the obvious - it's a rev limiter - not a target hold speed.

I suspect the fueling is out far enough when holding it at red line to fetch up an emission fault.

Nightscape

Dodgy injector maybe? My pal recently had it on his 1.2, and it would run on 2 cylinders.

paulious

Umm thanks guys, as for the bigger engine yes i keep winding him up about this. Would the injector cause the rev limiter to not work? is the injector an easy DIY job on a Sunday?

Deano what do you mean by this

I suspect the fueling is out far enough when holding it at red line to fetch up an emission fault.

Apologies for my lack of mechanical knowledge, with correct prodding i understand things

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Deano what do you mean by this

The fuel injection is programmed for operation within certain limits. The redline is the upper limit. Holding the engine at the rev limiter will have the engine management cutting fuel or sparks to stop you doing it. this screws up the emmissions and brings up a fault light

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise