seat ibiza 1998 tdi 90bhp power steering & locking failure

safehands

hi all

just bought the above model,bit tatty but for £400 and 58mpg,i aint gonna moan.

few problems,power steering failure,checked fluid,this is ok,no noise when i turn the steering either,so i take it,it must be the power steering pump! is this a diy job and how much roughly is a 2nd hand pump?

also,central locking doesnt work of the key,or in the door lock,infact the key doesnt open any doors,i have to lock the car by getting in through the boot and putting the drivers lock down,this does lock all the doors.

thirdly,can i put some 15" alloys on this,it looks lame with 3 wheel trims on it,sure i good set of alloys would make it look much better??:rolleyes:

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
15ich alloys are cool, they came with them as standard on some models.

The locks have always been a pain in the arse, you can get new barrell mechanisms and fit them yourself.

I have heard of the PAS pumps going but the pump is shared with others in the VAG range so you should be able to track one down quickly and cheaply. Not the easiest job in the world if i remember right though!

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
done a pump on my old 1.4, not a bad job..ended paying £60 for a new one but had £60 surcharge, so take yours with you..ie they want £120 without your old one

safehands

15ich alloys are cool, they came with them as standard on some models.

The locks have always been a pain in the arse, you can get new barrell mechanisms and fit them yourself.

I have heard of the PAS pumps going but the pump is shared with others in the VAG range so you should be able to track one down quickly and cheaply. Not the easiest job in the world if i remember right though!

after inspection,i found that there is no belt around a couple of pulleys,i take this must be the power steering belt??

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
Yep that'll be your power steering belt. Hopefully that's all thats wrong with it. I've also got a TDi, great little cars with all the torque.

safehands

Yep that'll be your power steering belt. Hopefully that's all thats wrong with it. I've also got a TDi, great little cars with all the torque.

yeah hopefully,do you no if you can fit this yourself????

and what improvements,performance wise can you make to this engine????

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
I did my own cambelt alternator belt and power steering belt last summer. The power steering belt is easiest. Where are you from? The haynes book of lies tells you how to do the power steering belt quite well.

The easiest way to get more power is getting the ecu chipped, unforunately you can't get these cars remapped via the obd port. Chipping generally costs about £250ish, theres lots of info about getting more power in these engines on www.tdiclub.com

sssstew

Editing your spelling
yeah the old 90 you will have in the ibiza will very unlikely be able to be mapped from a port, so will need a new chip to be soldered on. The best bet is to get Upsolute to do it, they have a great track record with the older generation non PD units, and he travels to you.

After that its not worth spending anything more on an old 400 quid runner to be honest as it will all be more expensive stuff.

safehands

well,power steering belt, £2.50,gonna get it today and fit it when i get a chance,think i will ljust leave as standard,just add a set of alloys,tidy the bodywork,seems to roll a bit going round corners,maybe suspension or is this just how these cars are???

gotta say tho,great engine,been running about in it,diesel gauge asnt even moved,in 3 days;)

gaz2002

Aug 30, 2010
yorkshire
ibiza tdi belts

hi

i have also just bort a ibiza 1.9 tdi, also for £400 lol. looks sweet with 15inch alloys on. just quite a few scratchs and bits of rust.

how do i change the power steering belt? i have bort a new 1. i took a bolt out at the bottom with like a tensioner thing on but this only slackened the belt off a little, not enough to take it fully off. and cannot tighten it up enuff now to be able to steer it easily.

any help would be great

cheers

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
loosen the middle smaller bolt (locking)

then turn the rear (larger) nut backwards towards the pulley along the teeth

fit new belt over pulleys

turn large nut back the other way to correct tension

tighten centre locking bolt

voila

Last edited:

gaz2002

Aug 30, 2010
yorkshire
ibiza tdi p/s belt

loosen the middle one (locking)

then turn the rear (larger) one backwards towards the pulley

fit belt over

turn large one back the other way to correct tension

tighten centre locking bolt

voila

loosen the middle 1 what? pulley? bolt etc?

i can only see the 1 bolt at the bottom that seems to be the tension adjuster.

any more help would be great

cheers

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
loosen the middle 1 what? pulley? bolt etc?

i can only see the 1 bolt at the bottom that seems to be the tension adjuster.

thats him - 2 sec ill get a pic

pas.JPG

if you look to the rear and top opposite mounting bolt to loosen it off if it's too tight to move

Last edited:

gaz2002

Aug 30, 2010
yorkshire
yes i undid that 13mm bolt at the bottom, took it out, and nothing much happened lol. so what sholud i do after iv taken it out?

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
dont remove it - just loosen it - then turn that large nut behind it

the larger nut has serrations at the rear that hook into the teeth on the bracket you see behind and turning it drives the pump inwards and outwards to fit and tension the belt

as above though you may need to find the rear mounting bolt to loosen that too

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
hi

i have also just bort a ibiza 1.9 tdi, also for £400 lol. looks sweet with 15inch alloys on. just quite a few scratchs and bits of rust.

how do i change the power steering belt? i have bort a new 1. i took a bolt out at the bottom with like a tensioner thing on but this only slackened the belt off a little, not enough to take it fully off. and cannot tighten it up enuff now to be able to steer it easily.

any help would be great

cheers

Turqouise one from ebay?

gaz2002

Aug 30, 2010
yorkshire
yes off ebay lol. was you also watching it?

and cheers for all the help. your a life saver. iv now replaced belt and no more squeaks, or funny looks off people in the street lol.

cheers

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
Was watching it just cause the numberplate is very similar to mine and mines the same colour. Get yourself a set of sideskirts from a gti or cupra. Makes the car look a load better. Mines done about 80k miles less than yours though.

gaz2002

Aug 30, 2010
yorkshire
lol yea has done alot of miles like. will be getting the cambelt changed asap aswell. do you know the exact colour of your car? (if its the same as mine). also the number plate has my initials in it aswell lol. and dont suppose you know where i could get 1 centre cap for the alloys do you?