smell melted/melting rubber - lost power!!!

Dr Gav

Hi. I've just returned home and on my way back the car drove really well. However, coming off a roundabout changing 2nd to 3rd gear I had no power. I changed gear again and still had no power. I got home and pulled up, I swear I could smell melted/melting rubber. On top off that it feels like the engine is pyshically rocking when I rev it .
Not good. Please advise (oh and there wasn't any lights on the dash or warning signs)
thanks

chris.baldwin

Rubber melting, engine rocking. Engine mount prehaps, could have not gone into gear due to the rocking hence the lack of power

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
Sounds like engine mounts to me. Pop the bonnet and get a mate to rev it while you watch the engine for excess movement or visa versa. Could be a good excuse to get some uprated VT engine mounts ;)

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
Unless the engine mounts physically caught fire, then I cant see any reason as to why they would smell of burning!

Possibly some of the wiring on the top of the engine has dropped down the back by the manifold causing it to burn. Hence maybe a misfire causing the engine to rock.

ian_cupra

Unless the engine mounts physically caught fire, then I cant see any reason as to why they would smell of burning!

Possibly some of the wiring on the top of the engine has dropped down the back by the manifold causing it to burn. Hence maybe a misfire causing the engine to rock.

my money is on that

Dr Gav

thanks fellas, i checked all the hoses and they are fine, finally got my hands on a vagcom cable and . . . . . . as usual its a coilpack [:@]
thanks again. iam off to start CP shopping :p

Dr Gav

thanks, i ve just rung and i am picking them up tonight,
because one has gone its worth replacing all four is it? my line of thought is that now one has gone the others will follow, so . . . . . . replace them all ?:(

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Always best to replace them as a set if you can as when one goes it can weaken the others. Then just keep the old working ones as spares in the boot

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.