Snapped front coil spring mk4 TDi

cshep1

I'm looking for some advice with my ibiza.

It's a 53 plate unmodified SETDi 1.9 with 33k

I'm assuming this happened at the weekend with some temporary road works wher the signed 'bump' in road was actually like a kerb!

My driver side front coil spring is snapped and i'm busy getting the replacement ordered from the dealer.

Now my fiancees dad reckons he can fit it but if anyone has any guide or advice on doing this i'd be grateful.

Also, once it's fitted is there an issue with the tracking? My MOT is due early august so would it be ok to wait until then or should i get this checked as soon as the repair is done?

Many Thanks

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Hi

You might find my guide useful:
http://www.seat-ibiza-mk4.co.uk/ibiza_front_shock_absorber_change.htm

Unfortunately the driver's side strut is a real bitch to get off without removing the driveshaft, as you will see if you read my guide & look at the photos ;)

Personally, I'd always get the alignment checked after removing any suspension components - especially the strut, as the top mounting holes have quite a bity of play.

cshep1

cheers muddyboots - 'kin typical mine would decide to snap on the awkward side.

For future reference for anyone with a similar problem, i could only source the part from seat and it's costing me just over £53 including VAT.

For them to perform the repair inc. part costs £134.55 so obviously a bit time consuming as muddyboots describes.

Local garage will do the repair for £43-61 if you provide the part depending on how long it takes for them to get the sodding thing off and on!

Last edited by a moderator:

antallen

Strut removal - Tools?

Just tried removing the front struts on my Mk 4 TDi Ibiza. Not got far.

Muddyboots - Your guide uses mole grips to prevent the pinch bolt from turning when you undo the nut. Well I've undone the nut and the bolt didn't even attempt to budge, but now I can't get the bolt out. Is it threaded into the hub? It's got a spline head on it. Anyone know what tool I need to undo it?

Also, the tool which is inserted to spread the hub and allow the strut to come out - anyone know where to get that tool from? I've always used a chisel in the past but it flies out and risks damaging the shock.

Ant

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I don't think the bolt was threaded in. I certainly don't recall having to undo it, as I wouldn't have had a splined tool big enough (which is why I used molegrips to hold it).

Maybe you'll just have to drive it out with a hammer from the other end, but avoiding damage to the thread end, which could be tricky. Soak the whole lot in penetrating oil first might help.

The little hub spreader tool, I bought that from a VW dealer, was reasonably cheap if I recall. Sorry can't remember the tool number, but it should be the same one that VW use on Polos....

antallen

Thanks for the follow-up. On closer inspection of mine the thread continues into the hub carrier, so I'm certain that mine is tightened into the hub. Also, there are two torque settings in the manual - one for the nut and one for the bolt into the hub. Done the drivers side now though - I undid the driveshaft to diff-flange bolts and took the whole hub off, with driveshaft and strut still applied.

Ant

Abyss

The hub bolt is definitely not threaded through the hub carrier, although it may look like it and the bolt itself IS threaded all the way. A sharp knock with a hammer and its out, and i used a steel pole just slightly thinner to drive it out all the way.
I was replacing a broken spring by the way, which was strange as it broke sitting on my drive after a month off road ( i was moving it about 20 feet and it went - weird )
Fairly easy to do if you follow the excellent guide above

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Whoa this is an old thread resurrected!

To add, if the bolt ever seizes like that, grab the brake disc and wobble it about until the tightness loosens...the bolt will then pull out with ease.

Now you're at the hard part. There's a tool which I wholly recommend to save you half an hour of bashing the hub carrier and risking smashing your ABS sensor off.

http://www.toolbay.biz/laser-3396-strut-nut-tool-2pc-pd562-ct379 This is the beauty, it slots in at the base of the strut. You twist it 90 degrees and it opens up the strut holder so its easy to slide out. Spring compressors, are the other vital tool.

Good luck!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes the beauty about this two part tool set is that the other part is for you to use on your TT when you get it?!? Oh and the spline tool size to hold that strut clamping bolt is M14. Remember to replace all nyloc nuts and the strut top small bolts.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The hub bolt is definitely not threaded through the hub carrier, although it may look like it and the bolt itself IS threaded all the way. A sharp knock with a hammer and its out, and i used a steel pole just slightly thinner to drive it out all the way.
I was replacing a broken spring by the way, which was strange as it broke sitting on my drive after a month off road ( i was moving it about 20 feet and it went - weird )
Fairly easy to do if you follow the excellent guide above

My wife's Polo had been in the garage for a few days, then I drove it out and bang-clunk when it was just completely out onto the drive - maybe better that way than at speed in a corner! At the site of the break - at half height - there was an area of rust and paint missing - so maybe treat any suspect points with respect and a bit of Hamerite when you find them! Oh this happened just a few days after I got VW to fit a new ARB (broken plastic stops) - coincidence?!?

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Yes the beauty about this two part tool set is that the other part is for you to use on your TT when you get it?!?

The hubs are designed the same way, and the tool works with most VAG applications built around the same time.

I would hope they'd upgrade to a better car than a TT, to be honest.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
No, I was only stating the obvious as either the kit burb or the Laser site points out what use each of the two tools are for as they aint exactly the same dimensions. Actually a lot of people like the TT - but there again I don't cut hair for a living!

Abyss

My wife's Polo had been in the garage for a few days, then I drove it out and bang-clunk when it was just completely out onto the drive - maybe better that way than at speed in a corner! At the site of the break - at half height - there was an area of rust and paint missing - so maybe treat any suspect points with respect and a bit of Hamerite when you find them! Oh this happened just a few days after I got VW to fit a new ARB (broken plastic stops) - coincidence?!?

Well, having just replaced the passenger side spring.....guess what , the drivers side is broken too it seems. The pass side broke right in the middle of the spring, whereas the driv side broke 1/2 a coil from the bottom, and i lifted the broken piece out in situ.
The car was fine up until a month ago until i moved it up the drive. I wonder if cold/heat conditions are to blame, as the last time it was driven was early june? ( been off road on SORN as I was selling it)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise