Somethings not right, Engine Torque Monitor 2:Control Limit Exceeded!

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
After the tweaks you are getting a higher air flow at the top end, which would suggest more power. It is the torque that you have lost; but this is good for the life of your rods and taming wheel spin I'd say :)

Air flow is the same Danny, i consistently log between 200 and 210 g/s.The toruqe has gone on holidays, luckily if it hits 260lbft these days.

On another note because i am now running low CF's i wonder what effect pushing the timing on a bit would have? Would still help it get some of its grunt back?

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Air flow is the same Danny, i consistently log between 200 and 210 g/s.The toruqe has gone on holidays, luckily if it hits 260lbft these days.

On another note because i am now running low CF's i wonder what effect pushing the timing on a bit would have? Would still help it get some of its grunt back?

For sure it would; I have 7.5* advance using WMI and it certainly helps alot!!

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
I'd say your intake temps are nice and low with WMI, what advance increments would you recommend?

Standard increment on unisettings is 0.75* . I would do logs after each standard increment. Yes, my intakes are around 15* after sustained full throttle :D

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
I am not expert here so i'm just throwing something out there, but could your boost fluctuations be caused by a dodgy N75 valve?

It has been known alright but they were good untill yesterday, i know there will be some fluctuation, but i get a surge then a noticable dip and then it climbs again, you can fell it when you are driving.

I think my N249 might be brought out of retirement soon, just for the heck of it.

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
It has been known alright but they were good untill yesterday, i know there will be some fluctuation, but i get a surge then a noticable dip and then it climbs again, you can fell it when you are driving.

I think my N249 might be brought out of retirement soon, just for the heck of it.

I had a similar issue - cured it when I removed my PCV system and fitted a catch can; and regapped my spark plugs to 0.028"

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
I had a similar issue - cured it when I removed my PCV system and fitted a catch can; and regapped my spark plugs to 0.028"

I know my plugs need changing soon, so i would like to rule them out, should i go with standard or uprated fancy ones?

I replaced my brake servo brake breather and the breather pipes under the mani with forge ones, the mushroom PCV thingy is on the list now, so its either a catch can or an uprated one from Awesome GTI.

Any recommendations on plugs?

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
I know my plugs need changing soon, so i would like to rule them out, should i go with standard or uprated fancy ones?

I replaced my brake servo brake breather and the breather pipes under the mani with forge ones, the mushroom PCV thingy is on the list now, so its either a catch can or an uprated one from Awesome GTI.

Any recommendations on plugs?

I used NGK Iridiums, 1 number colder temp range, can't remember what that is off the top of my head though, 7 I think! Gapped them all before fitted and found that the standard gapping was questionable! 3 were all around 0.032" and one was 0.026" ish!

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
I used NGK Iridiums, 1 number colder temp range, can't remember what that is off the top of my head though, 7 I think! Gapped them all before fitted and found that the standard gapping was questionable! 3 were all around 0.032" and one was 0.026" ish!

Had a search around the forum, is it these boyo's NGK BKR7EIX?

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Put in the new plugs today, the old ones were in good condition for there mileage, but i am glad i did it anyway, unfortunetly there is no difference with my surging or performance for that matter.

While i was at it i put back on my N249, wow this thing is a ball of $hite, i did not boost over 1.3 bar even on a spike and the throttle response was so slow, i also forgot how quite it makes you dump valve.
I did 8 power runs with and without the N249 and it consistently under performs with it on, needless to say it will be coming off again tomorrow.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.