Starter motor, or is it just the ignition wire?

brypie

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Hi ,

So, it's been a long time since I've used this forum, but I guess that's testament to how well built the ibiza is. Ten years old and the first real problem I have... There is a problem with the starter motor. 100% certain of that ! Just not yet convinced that it is the starter motor itself. I've started stripping it all down and found this wee little wire just hanging around. I think it is the ignition wire, but I could be making it up. I can't see where it is supposed to go either! Any help would be much appreciated. I'll try and upload a few photos later .

Attachments

• DSC_1709.JPG
    DSC_1709.JPG
    998.2 KB · Views: 452
  • DSC_1708.JPG
    DSC_1708.JPG
    839.4 KB · Views: 262

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
There should be a thin lead going to the solenoid on the starter motor, it is the one that actually powers the solenoid, that wire does, it means break off in some cars, mainly TDI/PDI ones due to the excessive engine movement.

brypie

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham, UK
There should be a thin lead going to the solenoid on the starter motor, it is the one that actually powers the solenoid, that wire does, it means break off in some cars, mainly TDI/PDI ones due to the excessive engine movement.
I am probably being stupid but what is the best way to fix it? Is it worth extending it? And how does it fix into the solenoid?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I don't have a car of that age now, but, I think that that wire has broken off that plug in connector shown in your pictures - that has nothing coming out of it.

Now, the correct way to fix this is to cut that unterminated wire back quite a bit and splice in a repair section of wire to return it to its correct length or a bit more to avoid this happening again, then remove that connector that the wire broke free from, using suitable tools, remove the terminal from that connector, fit a new terminal of the correct type to the new wire and fit the new terminal back into that connector.

If any of that causes you problems then you need an auto electrician to sort your car for you.

brypie

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Thanks for the help, to be honest, that is exactly what I was thinking, but I couldn't get the connector off and was getting wound up up as it was late and wet! Will try again when I have time, but that won't be tonight!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'm not sure if you know this, but the easiest way to get that type of connector off is to press it hard in towards its mating connector, only then try to get the retaining latch to lift. If you just try to get the retaining latch to lift up you will find it is very hard/impossible to do as the sealing gasket on these connectors is pre-loading the connector latching system - so you end up fighting it. Also if you do damage that connector, the one that the wire has broken on, you will find a VW Group part number moulded into it, so you can get a new one ordered in from any VW Group parts place, same for terminal as a new connector comes empty, but you would need to ask them to supply a suitable terminal pin.