Std Mk1 LCR required for EVO mag photo-shoot - Friday 29th Jan

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Hope we get a credit & link :)

The Top Gear one they did some years back was utter gash, I hoped they pick a good source for their aftermarket information

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Yes, PAS has his business details on his car, just some small contact info decals on the rear doors.

EVO will paint this out. I presume they will do a better job than this preview image. :)
Oh, I see. I thought the point was that they wanted one that was as original, so there's no touching-up required? My bad :D

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Understood. Shame mine was considered overly modded (one of the most standard LCRs on here!) as I booked the day off anyway; needed the break. Was well up for it

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
As I pointed out EVO made the selections, I sent them anything relevant to help them make a choice.

Those that emailed me all their details rather than hoping I would do the hard work for them are the ones that got forwarded on for selection. :)

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
No problem, Im sure folks realise I have work to do in between fitting in stuff for SCN which is a hobby foremost, so if folks can make it easier for me to accomplish those tasks put before me then I'll do my best to help them. :)

SEAT UK put EVO in touch with me because they knew that SCN members were probably the most likely to be able to help them at short notice. Kudos for everyone that uses the site that we are recognised enough to be contacted for such projects and that we succeeded in the task.

I've received thanks from Brett who has written the article, hopefully EVO will give us a little plug too :)

Three Leons

May 18, 2007
Wakefield
Yes, PAS has his business details on his car, just some small contact info decals on the rear doors.

EVO will paint this out. I presume they will do a better job than this preview image. :)

If not give us a call EVO ;)

Exactly what he said :)

Yeah I wanted to post pics that don't show the decals, should have known there'd be some beady eyes scrutinising them:D. As I said, I really didn’t expect them to choose my car but I wasn’t going to say no when they did! The guy who'll be doing all the touching up and editing was there so he told me exactly what they'd be doing for the final images – it’ll be the most pristine LCR you've ever seen!

Right, what you've all been waiting for (apart form the article itself). I’m actually doing the interview for the mag in the next hour or so so I might have to do this in a couple of stages.

It was a LONG morning (if that guy’s a speedy photographer I’d hate to see a slow one:p). I got there bang on 9am and met John Simister, one of the head journos at EVO who was there to do the NSX article. The first thing the photographer said was “go and get your car cleaned at the car wash round the corner”. I‘d spent all of Thursday doing that but a 160 mile motorway trip and rain had undone my good work. I didn't fancy a load of rollers attacking my paintwork but luckily Brett Fraser then turned up having brought his own cleaning gear and set about washing my car while I had a cup of tea and listened to stories of his own cars (he used to have an LCR himself so we should get a good write up):

As you can see I hadn’t even had time to put my new R badges on yet so that was the next job:

Meanwhile, the first shots of the NSX were being taken:

The owner was a really nice guy I his 60s who had found himself there exactly as I had – following a forum request - although apparently there’s only about 300 NSX owners in the UK so it was more of a race to see who could reply first!

I had a good chat with him and the other people there, 5 hours with fellow car geeks – it was brilliant:D

More in a bit...

Three Leons

May 18, 2007
Wakefield
Of course following the wash it then rained again so each time I drove into the studio the car needed drying again – Brett Fraser obliged each time:

(you can see the NSX getting jealous in the bottom left corner...)

The studio is huge - a giant white cave plastered floor to ceiling with all the edges and corners smoothed out so you can’t see where they are - which means when you’re driving in it you don’t know where the walls are, very unnerving.

Then the car became a supermodel, with the photographer and assistant altering lighting and reflections and snapping away while we talked cars and had lunch:

The satin effect the lights gave was amazing – can see why going with matt paint is popular.

This one shows my decals (sorry if they spoil the look but as my poor photo editing skills have been exposed I thought it wasn't worth trying to cover them up :D)

Then they did some detail shots of the interior, engine bay and the front calliper:

We had to swap the cars over every 20 minutes or so to save them re-arranging the lights for each shot (front three quarter, head on, profile, etc) which is why it took so long – one car would probably only take 2-3 hours.

This is my favourite shot and probably the closest to what will appear in the mag (hard to believe it can look even better!).

I finally got away at 2pm and promptly got stuck in about 4 traffic jams on the M1, but apart from that it was an awesome day.

Oh and in case you’re wondering, I made it back to Leeds for my engagement do with 10 minutes to spare…

^^ great read! As I mentioned, very jealous. I'm quite interested in photography so for me it would have been brilliant to pick the photog's brains too! My mate's GT4 was shot for Banzai, and that took the best part of a day, that was a few rolling shots etc though...

Will buy the mag to see exactly how the shots turn out!

Three Leons

May 18, 2007
Wakefield
Hope we get a credit & link :)

The Top Gear one they did some years back was utter gash, I hoped they pick a good source for their aftermarket information

Just done the interview with Brett over the phone and he said he'll be using SCN as a source for info on the car :). I also asked if he'll somehow crowbar in a 'thanks to' the site somewhere

pauly.cupra

cant wait to see the buying guide for the LCR. ive currently got a cupra but am hoping to upgrade to the R soon. have been an EVO reader for 10 years and its the best mag on the market... Black is the colour to have looking at those photos.. (if it can be kept clean!:D)

worzel

LCR 225
Dec 20, 2009
Jersey
Just read the whole thread, excellent. I too have a black one, and PAS example this just makes me want go and give it a good clean. Will defo buy the mag in March:D

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
I work with monthly magazines over the course of the month at my job, so I'm going to have a good look at March issue of EVO! :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.