SW update for MIB2 infotainment system?

Nov 13, 2019
Hi,

I have a 2017 Seat Leon with MIB2, and I am on 0363 (ZR).

How can I get to 0479 or 0515? as I have seen posts saying you can't go above the first 2 numbers of your version, so in other words I couldn't go from 03 to 04 or 05.

I just don't want to break my device !

Thanks,

Matt

FYI my details are as follows:

Device part number: 5QA035858B
Hardware: H41
Software: 0468

Then if I hold down the menu button and look at the software version details I get this,

MST2_EU_SE_ZR_P0363T

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
I have the following info on the display screen:

Device P/N: 5F0035846C
Hardware: H50
Software: 0512
Installed SW Train version:MST2_EU_SE_ZR_P0512T
Looks like your 0512 can go to 0515. See https://eastyorkshireretrofits.co.uk/collections/seat-leon-mk3/products/mib2-software-updates-seat. You can pay £20 to download from this reliable source, or look on the link on post #709. I've downloaded one from the post for mine, but I'm slightly reluctant as I've never heard of this guy or know how safe/reliable the files are.

Your Navigation software is one behind as well. 1520 is out now!

Last edited:
Reactions: Steven Rowan

Steven Rowan

Mar 16, 2020
Looks like your 0512 can go to 0515. See https://eastyorkshireretrofits.co.uk/collections/seat-leon-mk3/products/mib2-software-updates-seat. You can pay £20 to download from this reliable source, or look on the link on post #709. I've downloaded one from the post for mine, but I'm slightly reluctant as I've never heard of this guy or know how safe/reliable the files are.

Your Navigation software is one behind as well. 1520 is out now!
Thanks for that! I'll have a look later at that link. ?

MIB-Wiki

Oct 8, 2020
Alle FW files are internally signed and files are verified by hash.

If something would be wrong with the files, they just would not work at all .

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Reactions: Walone

MIB-Wiki

Oct 8, 2020
Some updated and new links for you:

M.I.B. - More Incredible Bash
M.I.B.png

NOTE:
M.I.B. is running on Harman MHI2(Q) units (MIB 2.x) only.

CAUTION:
Ensure that a external power is connected to the car or the engine is turned on during any flash or programming process!
Power failure during flasing/programming will brick your unit.

Prepare SD card:
Extract all files of the M.I.B. to the root directory of a clean SD-Card (FAT32/NTFS formatted)
Patched IFS-stage2 images have to be placed on the SD card in the folder /patches
Pre-patched (CP, FEC and EL) ifs-root-stage2 images can be found for all recent MHI2 FW versions here: https://bit.ly/399r2jy
Extract the archives with SW-train and MU version as patch name (same as archive name) - e.g. /patches/MHI2_ER_SKG13_P4526_MU1440_PATCH
They are already prepared in the right way, so that the tool can use them right away
In case you want to use your own patches (not recommended) - ask us first to help you:
For each SW-train a seperate folder is needed e.g. /patches/MHI2_ER_SKG13_P4526_MU1440_PATCH
The folder has to contain the patched ifs-root-stage2 image with the following naming syntax:
"MU-version"-ifs-root-part2-"image start address in hex within RCC"-"image length in hex" --> e.g. MU1440-ifs-part2-0x00ba0000-1C06F300.ifs
image length is on byte 0x20 position 04-07 in little Endian of the original ifs-root-stage2 image (e.g. fresh from FW update)

Connect to MHI2 and start M.I.B.:
D-Link - e.g. DUB-E100 HW rev. D1 - USB-Ethernet adapter is required to connect to your MHI2 unit.
Use Putty/Kitty to connect via UART or Telnet (MIB IP:172.16.250.248) and login into RCC (recommended: port:123) or MMX (port:23).
Login and password for your units SW train has to be known: https://anonymousfiles.io/xzi8Nq2r/
Check your SW-train, a pre-patched ifs-root-stage2 has to be present within the folder /patches
Insert the SD card into slot SD1 of your MHI2 unit and login to the RCC shell:
# Mount SD card in slot SD1
mount -uw /net/mmx/fs/sda0/
# start M.I.B by typing
/net/mmx/fs/sda0/start

Default screen seize of Putty/Kitty is often too small to display the M.I.B. menu in full.
Increase the window seize manually.

You should see (a more colourful) menu with the following content:
Code:
******************************************************************************************************************************************
__  __     ___           ___
|  \/  |   |_ _|         | _ )
| |\/| |    | |          | _ \
|_|  |_|ore|___|ncredible|___/ash - V1.11 "Santa Edition"

******************************************************************************************************************************************

**    0 - Backup
        Runs a full backup (RCC, MM, EEPROM, ...) of your unit and places it into the folder /backup/"your hardware ID"

**    1 - VIM patch (199 km/h)
        Writes custom Video In Motion (VIM) speed of 199 km/h (yes, too slow for German Autobahn) to your unit
        Unit will automatically restart to save changes permanently

**    2 - VIM Original (6 km/h)
        Writes factory default Video In Motion (VIM) speed to unit

**    3 - IFS-ROOT-Stage2 flash patched image
        Will create a backup if it was not already created before
        applies patched IFS Stage 2 image - containing patched MIBRoot - to the unit

**    4 - IFS-ROOT-Stage2 revert to Backup image
        Applies original IFS Stage 2 image - containing original/stock MIBRoot - from your system backup to the unit

**    5 - Copy FEC and EL List to Unit
        Copies ExceptionList.txt and/or FecContainer.fec placed within
        e.g. /patches/MHI2_ER_SKG13_P4526_MU1440_PATCH to the unit
        if no FEC and/or EL is inside /patch directory, files from /backup folder will be used

**    6 - Developer Menu activation
        Developer Menu will be enabled - no need for VCP/VCDS or OBD11 ;)

**    7 - Ambient Light Buttons Original
        When you see this, first take a look on https://www.glaskugelservice.de/codierung/ambientbeleuchtung
        it is some special coding only for Skoda Octavia 5E, yet!

**    8 - Ambient Light Buttons patch (first, set to Original)
        When you see this, first take a look on https://www.glaskugelservice.de/codierung/ambientbeleuchtung
        it is some special coding only for Skoda Octavia 5E, yet!

**    U - Mount USB writeable
        makes USB devices writeable

**    W - Mountpoints writeable
        make some Mounts writeable on the unit

**    O - Show OFFSET hashes
        some Unit and flash informations, e.g. RCC Image address or image length

**    R - Reboot Unit
        restart the Unit

**    C - cleanup Logs
        delete all inside /log directory

**    S - show Log (press Q for exit view)
        show all our Logs from this Unit

**    H - Help
        this here...

**    L - GPL License
        please take a look and note our license

Patch Info:
All patches ifs-root-stage2 files located on https://bit.ly/399r2jy contain the following patches - all-in-one file:
CP - Component Protection removed
EL - ExceptionList.txt signature check removed - get prepared EL files here: https://bit.ly/2J0RG3P
FEC - FECContainer.fec signature check removed
EL patch will re-enable the installation of MIB2Toolbox on latest FW version, as the removed signature check also applies to the POI upload process.

EL vs FEC:
It is recommended to use the EL patch over FEC.
ExceptionList.txt can be edited with any ASCII editor (Notepad++). Shorten the ExceptionList.txt to the FECs you need.
No need to change FECContainer.fec with WhatTheFec tool, therefore it will stay original on the unit.
In case of FW update - at dealer - no issues with illegal FECContainer and unusable unit.

Supporting Documents:
MHI2 Documentation: https://bit.ly/3lOg5Ye
MHI2 Patches: https://bit.ly/332msjl
MIB2 FW collection: https://bit.ly/35LTrKL
MHS2 Delphi MIB-HS: https://bit.ly/3kQJHTr

mailto: [email protected]
Telegram Channel: https://t.me/joinchat/EHt4RRksHcMQk6Xi6tFaBw

Get in contact with us to get support and provide feedback about M.I.B.
We are always eager to learn more about VAG MIB hardware and expand the FW collection you love: https://bit.ly/35LTrKL
M.I.B. - More Incredible Bash

MHI2 Root Password List

MIB2 MHI2/MH2P/MHS2/MST2/RMC FW and Solutions Collection

Last edited:

Jmb

Jan 10, 2016
Thank you for the links.
Does anyone ever tried to downgrade a firmware. Does anyone have a clue how to proceed? Need to revert back that 346 version which Is driving me crazy already for more than a year... My MIB2 is the H24 version.

Best regards,

Tell

Staff member
It's said that you can't by people on the thread before, may be they can allude as to how this is so. You could see if it was using internal memory to move stuff about to create gaps for new things to go in (or preserve some code, add extra rather than total refresh - that's why I guess you read why they say do it in sync between release seriel number sequences), it would be a one way ticket since the writers would not have provided the reversal. But anyhow it has been said you can't. Mib2 high map updates you can go back but it's more major to change the underlying software than a module it uses.

On signed. Yes that where you look out for the meta file looking for a signature line in sla1 (metainfo2.txt). The software can't be hacked since nobody has the private key yet as I understand it to manufacture the Vag validation signature so anything which uses the key signature line and it works is original. Had a look at the 515 update which was given to me for another reason and the signature was in that file the same as in the mib2 high map updates. Gateway restriction to stop duff data being uploaded to the unit. Goes far beyond. The unit knows the public key which are indeed all the same across mib products to validate the signature but you can't generate the signature without the private key.

It's the strings of characters after the equals sign which protects uploads with a line that looks like this:

Signature]
signature1 = "321c41897fc2e8605c9ff2736bf510c1"
signature2 = "c916568df82ec4026a4a5ec721384286"
signature3 = "05538004273506a4278a266a8c6827f7"
signature4 = "e90124b0c585b6807f197881c18a229e"
signature5 = "afd011eaae35da39cac02951ab3e68a8"
signature6 = "f5b1ee18fcd9774d9dbab95b3a74c03e"
signature7 = "19c40ecb3010c2e8f98cbb9b8b9ec939"
signature8 = "97b8ce0e139462cdf6b574792b5f0d93"

You are stuffed with tinkering with anything that has that in it which means it's original. Those characters lockdown the integrity of the upload. You are suppose to need a GCHQ Cray computer type of thing to work out the Vag primary key to generate those. Been one of the debates on mib2 to alter the stored public key in the unit to your own but my reading has said so far you can't (in a bit of memory you can't alter). Clever German engineering. Once you get past that, there is another upload check to make sure nothing actually gets written to the device. Two stage check. That's just the front door. That's why its reassuring when you see an update with eight signature lines it's legitimate software if it uploads to the unit. Looked at all of this in relation to the mib2 high map updates before it became apparent that the navigation FEC was the thing to alter :unsure:.

Last edited:

Jmb

Jan 10, 2016
Well got news about this. I reverted back to 252 from 346 successfully and easily. Dunno if it was luck or not but everything is working properly.
My radio stations are finally working properly. Only thing I miss is the way the sat nav worked on version 3.

Reactions: Tell

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
Well got news about this. I reverted back to 252 from 346 successfully and easily. Dunno if it was luck or not but everything is working properly.
My radio stations are finally working properly. Only thing I miss is the way the sat nav worked on version 3.
That's good news!
Did you download 0252 from one of the MEGA links above?
What differences are there with the SatNav?

Tell

Staff member

Ah well the retrofitter sharks that you see swimming in the waters got it wrong :sneaky: . They would be arguing that the releases were incremental going forwards.

Does that mean that sat nav doesn't work completely or the screens are different. Former would be the FeCs... may be that's the thing that becomes out of step if you go backwards the license doesn't downgrade. That's the danger of these software libraries without the guidance you are on a one way trip then the retrofitter picks up work. Others will be clear about we can sell you the upgrade which you can to yourself plus have clear web pages for that on their site. Seen those.

Jmb

Jan 10, 2016
Give me a few days and ill post the images of the system. And how i reverted back. I used the files from mega.

Everything is working as supposed. The version 2 on nav you have to type the country then district then address... on version 3 you would start typing the address and it would give you the matches. Thats what i miss.

I have no troubles with nav no troubles with stations no troubles with full link nor dab. All working 100%.

Reactions: Walone and Tell

Jmb

Jan 10, 2016
So here i leave the process i did to update/revert the firmware. Before throwing disbelief comments i leave the updates history of my unit.
20201216_230047.jpg

The upper version is the actual version.
So walkthrough:

1. Download firmware version. (Used Mega)
2. Format sd card and move files there.
3. Press menu until you enter extended service menu. Don't remember if this option is available by default or if I made it available with obdeleven on the first upgrade.
20201216_230132.jpg

4. Pressed SWDL
5. Press start download. Select sd card. Select all and start update.
20201216_230151.jpg

Wait for a few minutes 15-30 minutes to complete process.

At the end everything working.
20201216_230250.jpg

20201216_230230.jpg

This is my testimony don't want to say that this will work for everyone, but for me it worked perfectly.

Regards.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
So here i leave the process i did to update/revert the firmware. Before throwing disbelief comments i leave the updates history of my unit. View attachment 20563

The upper version is the actual version.
So walkthrough:

1. Download firmware version. (Used Mega)
2. Format sd card and move files there.
3. Press menu until you enter extended service menu. Don't remember if this option is available by default or if I made it available with obdeleven on the first upgrade.
View attachment 20564

4. Pressed SWDL
5. Press start download. Select sd card. Select all and start update.
View attachment 20565

Wait for a few minutes 15-30 minutes to complete process.

At the end everything working.
View attachment 20566
View attachment 20567

This is my testimony don't want to say that this will work for everyone, but for me it worked perfectly.

Regards.
On 3. They are shipped with the engineering menu level 2 turned off on mib2s. Mib1 it was on. Yes as you said you thought you turned it on via Obdeleven (You did). Long press on the menu button reveals the second menu with the SWDL command which you then used to trigger the software change. Same long press you use on retrofit highs to do the map updates via the SWDL command but you can only do that on high units where the navigation FEC covers the map update period... said that just in case anyone does that on a mib2 high and wonders why they are locked out of navigation. Was the path I took originally to enable the SWDL menu.

Good you got it all working going backwards.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
On 3. They are shipped with the engineering menu level 2 turned off on mib2s. Mib1 it was on. Yes as you said you thought you turned it on via Obdeleven (You did). Long press on the menu button reveals the second menu with the SWDL command which you then used to trigger the software change. Same long press you use on retrofit highs to do the map updates via the SWDL command but you can only do that on high units where the navigation FEC covers the map update period... said that just in case anyone does that on a mib2 high and wonders why they are locked out of navigation. Was the path I took originally to enable the SWDL menu.

Good you got it all working going backwards.
Is the SWDL command used because the software was being downgraded? If I was upgrading, I assume you just hold "Menu", press “software versions/updates”, press “Update”, press “SD”, select the software version It presents and then press "Start".

Tell

Staff member
Is the SWDL command used because the software was being downgraded? If I was upgrading, I assume you just hold "Menu", press “software versions/updates”, press “Update”, press “SD”, select the software version It presents and then press "Start".

I believe that is the case. Probably why people say it can't be done because that menu isn't offered but only in the backend which needs enabling to access and that in a high unit takes a weird amount of time to be first enables.

Otherwise called enabling the developers mode. I covered that here and the weird time it took to first work - think it may build a developers space or something, once you got it you go straight into it the next time via the long hold and the second screen appearing:

I believe you can enable the developers mode with other VCDS tools now. Obdeleven was the first to give you that.

I just cut to that menu for the mib2 high map updates (where navigation FeCs allow won't work if not). Universally does a lot of stuff including Poi uploads if you got tired of the front menu ?.

Dwaynemps

Sep 27, 2019
Trying to upgrade from 514 to 515 but keep getting this error,

anyone know how to sort?

Attachments

• 87C9A35B-D7BA-4E2D-81AB-DD1894B32D2B.jpeg
    87C9A35B-D7BA-4E2D-81AB-DD1894B32D2B.jpeg
    530.2 KB · Views: 672

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
I used SDcard no 1, with card formatted to FAT32 and default cluster size.

Enter update menu by holding down (long press) menu button on infotainment system to bring up update menu, then click update and start.

worked fine

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.