SW update for MIB2 infotainment system?

Red_Fins

Apr 20, 2021
Southport
Hi all, after a bit of advice with regards to updating the SW on my MIB2 through the 330 to 346 versions.
What benefit is there for going any further than these two updates? I know that the 330 is just a stepping stone to 346 due to problems with it as a Beta version, but wanted to plan out where it was best to stop :) .
Also do I need to clear the faults with my OBD11 generated by the 330 update before I start the 346 update?
Thanks in advance (crosses fingers, holds breath aaaand waits!)

Dudept

Nov 18, 2020
Hi all, after a bit of advice with regards to updating the SW on my MIB2 through the 330 to 346 versions.
What benefit is there for going any further than these two updates? I know that the 330 is just a stepping stone to 346 due to problems with it as a Beta version, but wanted to plan out where it was best to stop :) .
Also do I need to clear the faults with my OBD11 generated by the 330 update before I start the 346 update?
Thanks in advance (crosses fingers, holds breath aaaand waits!)
No Need nothing.. just updates. Just minor fix but u dont notice nothing

Enviado do meu Redmi Note 9 Pro através do Tapatalk

Reactions: Red_Fins

Red_Fins

Apr 20, 2021
Southport
Very happy and grateful for all the advice and "how to" info on these pages.
By following the instructions I have successfully managed to update both my MIB2 software and updated to the latest navigation maps.
Big thanks to all the efforts made to putting the instructions together so that they are easy to follow (yes I know that some of it is on the spanish seat forum) but it still needed translating!
People sometimes take all this for granted and dont appreciate the effort it takes to keep this info up to date. Just wanted to say Thanks to those who regularly follow, reply, advise and udpate these threads.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Very happy and grateful for all the advice and "how to" info on these pages.
By following the instructions I have successfully managed to update both my MIB2 software and updated to the latest navigation maps.
Big thanks to all the efforts made to putting the instructions together so that they are easy to follow (yes I know that some of it is on the spanish seat forum) but it still needed translating!
People sometimes take all this for granted and dont appreciate the effort it takes to keep this info up to date. Just wanted to say Thanks to those who regularly follow, reply, advise and udpate these threads.
Well said, too often people post for help and are given advice but don't even respond as to whether it has helped or not. :)

Reactions: Red_Fins

Tell

Staff member
Anybody got the mib2 high navigation release 192 loaded on their modded units yet ?. On the navigation thread I determined that it was @Chillout who was posting with it working on Drive2 using his mib tool box project

(Background VAG left the Seat part number out of the map release 192 so it won't load up on stock firmware with Mapcare or regular Seat navigation FeCs.... some say Seat will fix it, doubt it myself, think they have junked Mapcare updates for Seat)

All you need is 1447 or one of the other two before + The mib tool box... I did ask for a link to the software but I think @MIB-Wiki PMed me one a few months back. Chillout doesnt say what FeCs are required....

Meanwhile Jose the Spanish Seat guy I found has it working as well on a retrofit he got done, didn't do it himself. I got him to reveal what FeCs it has in it.

Screenshot_20210602-122634.png

Screenshot_20210604-155310.png

So we get to this point... we don't know exactly what Jose has in his exactly but I suspect it's one of the Mega files.

There is a Digital Eliteboard thread in German which I believe may be the key ?

Plenty of pitfalls thou and checks to be made before you start off.

It seems a patch is made after the firmware is installed, which is patched... with all desired FeCs in it. I suspect this is the one that Jose has in his. Use of Mib Tool post 133 on that. So Jose said he doesn't have it but suspect it is in the green menu unbeknown.

Never done a mib2 firmware update in my life since I have no wish to brick my unit but may be forced into it. Those with Seats have you got 192 working by following this guidance and software. Seems to be some good material in that thread. Is something else needed as well to get 192 working rather than just having mib tool loaded ?.

What about TSR, my last retrofitter made a pigs ear of getting TSR to work in MPH, took them fours hours to sort it out after changing the navigation FeCs. Any UK based people followed this with TSR. It kept reading the signs in KPH warning at half the speed. Not wanting to re-introduce this fault again.

CupraRST

Feb 25, 2020
NL
Anybody got the mib2 high navigation release 192 loaded on their modded units yet ?. On the navigation thread I determined that it was @Chillout who was posting with it working on Drive2 using his mib tool box project

(Background VAG left the Seat part number out of the map release 192 so it won't load up on stock firmware with Mapcare or regular Seat navigation FeCs.... some say Seat will fix it, doubt it myself, think they have junked Mapcare updates for Seat)

All you need is 1447 or one of the other two before + The mib tool box... I did ask for a link to the software but I think @MIB-Wiki PMed me one a few months back. Chillout doesnt say what FeCs are required....

Meanwhile Jose the Spanish Seat guy I found has it working as well on a retrofit he got done, didn't do it himself. I got him to reveal what FeCs it has in it.

View attachment 24969
View attachment 24970

So we get to this point... we don't know exactly what Jose has in his exactly but I suspect it's one of the Mega files.

There is a Digital Eliteboard thread in German which I believe may be the key ?

Plenty of pitfalls thou and checks to be made before you start off.

It seems a patch is made after the firmware is installed, which is patched... with all desired FeCs in it. I suspect this is the one that Jose has in his. Use of Mib Tool post 133 on that. So Jose said he doesn't have it but suspect it is in the green menu unbeknown.

Never done a mib2 firmware update in my life since I have no wish to brick my unit but may be forced into it. Those with Seats have you got 192 working by following this guidance and software. Seems to be some good material in that thread. Is something else needed as well to get 192 working rather than just having mib tool loaded ?.

What about TSR, my last retrofitter made a pigs ear of getting TSR to work in MPH, took them fours hours to sort it out after changing the navigation FeCs. Any UK based people followed this with TSR. It kept reading the signs in KPH warning at half the speed. Not wanting to re-introduce this fault again.
Hi @Tell ,
I tried to install the 0192 maps on my 2019 Cupra R ST with liefetime map updateservice. After inserting the card a message came up, telling that update files were found. I started the update, but after a long search a message came up, telling that no update files were found.
Tried again, but the same result. Tried again with new downloaded and unzipped files, still no success.

Then tried the 0189 files (coming from 0187) and these installed straight away. So there seems to be a problem with the 0192 files. I wonder if this will be repaired. I could only download the 0192 files from the provided link, could not find it anywhere on the vag sites.

Tell

Staff member
Hi @Tell ,
I tried to install the 0192 maps on my 2019 Cupra R ST with liefetime map updateservice. After inserting the card a message came up, telling that update files were found. I started the update, but after a long search a message came up, telling that no update files were found.
Tried again, but the same result. Tried again with new downloaded and unzipped files, still no success.

Then tried the 0189 files (coming from 0187) and these installed straight away. So there seems to be a problem with the 0192 files. I wonder if this will be repaired. I could only download the 0192 files from the provided link, could not find it anywhere on the vag sites.
Yes the Seat part number 4 is missing from the 192 download which can be found in the dbinfo file. What that means is the units firmware doesn't know what to do with the download. The map upload files to the unit are sufficiently protected from users editing those files to put the part number back in and a mute point as to what else is missing even if you got the the part number in.

Those who have the 192 maps loaded on Seats use custom firmware. They have an exception list method which basically as understand it uses the correct part number, if not will then try for another and has the associated navigation FeCs for that. That's why you see in Jose's screen no Seat part number shown.

The only doubt in my mind with loading up this project software contained in the link is my last retrofitter statement "that after I do this you won't be able to load up firmware yourself". If it's original firmware you are coming from that's not an issue. Although the firmware that I'm on went in on a manufactured SD card rather than a D-link box. They did use the front camera port of the unit to read the units settings then went on to manufacture the upload via SD card for the firmware. Anyone, does that sound like the "D-link method" ?. Am I alright or has the retrofitter made things difficult for me ?.

Back to whether 192 is an aberration. I suspect it's not and Seat have dumped Mapcare. Either they badly got their wires crossed in the spec of 192 on what you are seeing. The release was manufactured six months ago as part of their testing programme, so for six months Seat knew that it didn't work on their units.... or should have known if it was a mistake. I can only think that the Seat Mapcare market was so small they opted to withdraw internally from the VAG project. Both VW and Skoda don't charge customers for Mapcare. May be it's an internal charging squabble that we are seeing. Now VAG have moved to mib3 they have no production requirement for the maps for mib2 high, just Mapcare.

Anyhow if people can comment on whether my old retrofitter has left me a problem in there way of working.

CupraRST

Feb 25, 2020
NL
Yes the Seat part number 4 is missing from the 192 download which can be found in the dbinfo file. What that means is the units firmware doesn't know what to do with the download. The map upload files to the unit are sufficiently protected from users editing those files to put the part number back in and a mute point as to what else is missing even if you got the the part number in.

Those who have the 192 maps loaded on Seats use custom firmware. They have an exception list method which basically as understand it uses the correct part number, if not will then try for another and has the associated navigation FeCs for that. That's why you see in Jose's screen no Seat part number shown.

The only doubt in my mind with loading up this project software contained in the link is my last retrofitter statement "that after I do this you won't be able to load up firmware yourself". If it's original firmware you are coming from that's not an issue. Although the firmware that I'm on went in on a manufactured SD card rather than a D-link box. They did use the front camera port of the unit to read the units settings then went on to manufacture the upload via SD card for the firmware. Anyone, does that sound like the "D-link method" ?. Am I alright or has the retrofitter made things difficult for me ?.

Back to whether 192 is an aberration. I suspect it's not and Seat have dumped Mapcare. Either they badly got their wires crossed in the spec of 192 on what you are seeing. The release was manufactured six months ago as part of their testing programme, so for six months Seat knew that it didn't work on their units.... or should have known if it was a mistake. I can only think that the Seat Mapcare market was so small they opted to withdraw internally from the VAG project. Both VW and Skoda don't charge customers for Mapcare. May be it's an internal charging squabble that we are seeing. Now VAG have moved to mib3 they have no production requirement for the maps for mib2 high, just Mapcare.

Anyhow if people can comment on whether my old retrofitter has left me a problem in there way of working.
Hi @Tell ,

Thank you for explaining!
I still have the OEM firmware in the Navi Plus. So far updated the maps successfully from the original 0172 to 0176 to 0187 and now to 0189.
0192 is the first one that failed.

Could it be that, if there is a way to include the missing SEAT code in a specific 0192 file, writing it back with the same date and time stamps as original could do the trick?

SEAT is always far behind with the map updates, compared to the other VAG brands. Maybe they still don't know that this 0192 version doesn't work? After all it still isn't mentioned on their servers as far as I know.

Why would SEAT bother with making map updates impossible on already sold cars with a license, being it mapcare or lifetime? It would only make the navi system unusable within a few years......

Tell

Staff member
Hi @Tell ,

Thank you for explaining!
I still have the OEM firmware in the Navi Plus. So far updated the maps successfully from the original 0172 to 0176 to 0187 and now to 0189.
0192 is the first one that failed.

Could it be that, if there is a way to include the missing SEAT code in a specific 0192 file, writing it back with the same date and time stamps as original could do the trick?

SEAT is always far behind with the map updates, compared to the other VAG brands. Maybe they still don't know that this 0192 version doesn't work? After all it still isn't mentioned on their servers as far as I know.

Why would SEAT bother with making map updates impossible on already sold cars with a license, being it mapcare or lifetime? It would only make the navi system unusable within a few years......
It's the SLA1 signature on the end of each metaindex2.txt protects each file from tampering / download issues. They are signed with a private key but read as valid with the public key. Not convinced that something else isn't missing from those files in the Seat part number in any case. I did spend a long time looking at those files at times.

Normally you re compute the check sums but the signed SLA1 signatures if being used on that part of the update are the stumbling block. Navigation update is one of the ones that requires the signatures to be valid. POI updates, no which is how POI developers generate update files.

The VAG public key is known whilst the private key isn't. It's the same key on all VAG products.

My journey on the subject is here:

Mathematical algorithm is used with the public key to validate the signature but you can't create the signature if you dont have the private key. All VW private keys are the same since the public key is the same. You need a fair bit of computer power, £100,000 of it was a quoted figure on sla1 signatures a few years back to decode the primary key.

I did try a published exploit which is used to get mib tools into the unit to put the part number in. I think that said exploit has limitations so it didn't work. Mib tools rides into the back of a radio station update by putting the payload after the signature.... They forgot about that one in the mib2 design. If the signature was to protect the payload above that's achieved, but not anything going in after. So whilst it works to get that code in, doing that on a big map upload it didn't. They did have teething problems getting mib tools in, you can read that online before they perfected the SD import. It generated assorted error codes.

Seat are now pretty timely with the publication of the maps. They have been known to publish quarters outside of the main six month cycle on production cars. May be if it was a terrible mistake then you might see a 193 or 194 or something. I doubt it thou.

Custom firmware is the way ahead for 192 and Seat mib2 high. I could be surprised and see Seat producing the map download and it's all been a big mistake but doubt it. As far as Mapcare is concerned that will be running out on many units which is the advantage of custom software. Mib2 updates have another four years to run following published mib1 timelines. + 5 years onto discontinuation. 2025. VW and Skoda will enjoy that.

I'm still bugged by whether a full list of FeC codes messes up TSR. I'm told by a UK retrofitter that the issue of MPH signs being read as KPH is due to too many FeCs in the payload (known issue in the retrofitter world apparently). Whilst this issue may not bother drivers in Europe or those without TSR in the UK, it would otherwise. Took my previous retrofitter all afternoon to correct it with many goodbyes and returning again 10 mins latter (speed warnings at 1/2 the legal speed are pointless). Would be interesting to hear whether any Seat UK drivers with TSR have had success with this. Intend to use a retrofitter now to manage this issue in the firmware change. Others have pointed to the FeC being a European one in the past. Previous retrofitter went back to my old settings and reloaded. That fixed it (could be they studied what was in the working FeC container file and the one they put in, corrected but said nothing of their error).... hence why professional are a good idea at times 🤣. Mind you they introduced the problem.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021
Hey ! Can someone help me with an update ?
I have some issues with CarPlay the correspondent hear in echo maybe update will resolve that 🥺

Attachments

• 598FE2A5-6F2C-4401-8E9A-C79E51D1E0E5.jpeg
    598FE2A5-6F2C-4401-8E9A-C79E51D1E0E5.jpeg
    383.7 KB · Views: 136

CupraRST

Feb 25, 2020
NL
It's the SLA1 signature on the end of each metaindex2.txt protects each file from tampering / download issues. They are signed with a private key but read as valid with the public key. Not convinced that something else isn't missing from those files in the Seat part number in any case. I did spend a long time looking at those files at times.

Normally you re compute the check sums but the signed SLA1 signatures if being used on that part of the update are the stumbling block. Navigation update is one of the ones that requires the signatures to be valid. POI updates, no which is how POI developers generate update files.

The VAG public key is known whilst the private key isn't. It's the same key on all VAG products.

My journey on the subject is here:

Mathematical algorithm is used with the public key to validate the signature but you can't create the signature if you dont have the private key. All VW private keys are the same since the public key is the same. You need a fair bit of computer power, £100,000 of it was a quoted figure on sla1 signatures a few years back to decode the primary key.

I did try a published exploit which is used to get mib tools into the unit to put the part number in. I think that said exploit has limitations so it didn't work. Mib tools rides into the back of a radio station update by putting the payload after the signature.... They forgot about that one in the mib2 design. If the signature was to protect the payload above that's achieved, but not anything going in after. So whilst it works to get that code in, doing that on a big map upload it didn't. They did have teething problems getting mib tools in, you can read that online before they perfected the SD import. It generated assorted error codes.

Seat are now pretty timely with the publication of the maps. They have been known to publish quarters outside of the main six month cycle on production cars. May be if it was a terrible mistake then you might see a 193 or 194 or something. I doubt it thou.

Custom firmware is the way ahead for 192 and Seat mib2 high. I could be surprised and see Seat producing the map download and it's all been a big mistake but doubt it. As far as Mapcare is concerned that will be running out on many units which is the advantage of custom software. Mib2 updates have another four years to run following published mib1 timelines. + 5 years onto discontinuation. 2025. VW and Skoda will enjoy that.

I'm still bugged by whether a full list of FeC codes messes up TSR. I'm told by a UK retrofitter that the issue of MPH signs being read as KPH is due to too many FeCs in the payload (known issue in the retrofitter world apparently). Whilst this issue may not bother drivers in Europe or those without TSR in the UK, it would otherwise. Took my previous retrofitter all afternoon to correct it with many goodbyes and returning again 10 mins latter (speed warnings at 1/2 the legal speed are pointless). Would be interesting to hear whether any Seat UK drivers with TSR have had success with this. Intend to use a retrofitter now to manage this issue in the firmware change. Others have pointed to the FeC being a European one in the past. Previous retrofitter went back to my old settings and reloaded. That fixed it (could be they studied what was in the working FeC container file and the one they put in, corrected but said nothing of their error).... hence why professional are a good idea at times 🤣. Mind you they introduced the problem.

Hi @Tell , thank you again for all your efforts!
I guess it will come down to just wait and see wether SEat will bring a new working update to the 0189 maps in the next months, or not.
The way I see it SEAT can't just let down all customers that bought a new SEAT just a short time ago, some in 2020. I even think that would be illegal.

Reactions: Tell and Walone

Tell

Staff member
Hi @Tell
The way I see it SEAT can't just let down all customers that bought a new SEAT just a short time ago, some in 2020. I even think that would be illegal.
You never know. Their screens tell you that 189 is out of date but give you 189 to update too 🙄.

If they have pulled the rug from peoples feet they could always get people to visit their dealers with valid Mapcare and upgrade the system to work with valid FeCs, the Audi ones. If it's another update of the maps that would put it at 3 months time or less since we know they have access to all quarters of the year, not just the six month ones... or they could tough it out. Personally I reckon the brand has had a strop with VAG on paying the going rate so got dropped out of the production cycle or management at Seat didn't fully understand what they were doing on the product cycle... missed the meetings 🙄.

Either way pretty major to leave the Seat part number out of the build... not something you accidentally do. Least there is a fix for those that have retrofit software on their equipment although the hassle of getting it sorted out. For those that had the more modern incarnations of the retrofit software weathered the storm better than others that didnt'. I'm waiting for a UK based retrofitter to get it working. I have no wish to kill my box or get it beeping on MPH signs read as KPH. Been there done that... although it feels tempting at times. I'd like the ability to use Mib Tools but professionally installed... I know those that work on this detest retrofitters charging for their work.

MIB-Wiki

Oct 8, 2020
Wait as suggested by you or use M.I.B to enable supported FEC for latest maps.

M.I.B already has the SKODA Fec included for patching of Seat FW.

Alternative could be to use metainfo2 exploit and add Seat Fec to latest map update.
Somebody just would have to take the time to edit it in .

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Reactions: Walone

Tell

Staff member
I can't enable Mib Tools because of the release I'm on so a catch 22 situation. Metainfo2 exploit if it went wrong would delete the FeCs that work....

Placing my bets in a retrofitter at the minute. I liken it to if your boiler went wrong would you take it apart and work on it yourself or get an expert in. Mib2 standard is all together more simple and if it's the original software you know what you are dealing with.

MIB-Wiki

Oct 8, 2020
Which train do you have installed on your unit?

How do you see a connection between metainfo2 exploit and FECs installed on your unit?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Tell

Staff member
What RCupre said at the time of a retrofitter messing up TSR in the work they did

Question is are UK FeCs being used (in Mib Tool) if that was the case. Adverse to driving around with TSR misreading speed signs and road conditions. My other theory was it was because they loaded the FeCs when no navigation map was valid which might fall into @RCupra first line of text. Other theory from a UK retro-fitter that I suspect RCupra works with is that too many FeCs were being presented in what the said old retrofitter was doing. Three theories on this one. It's no joke when TSR isn't working correctly.

Your second line thought you meant I should use that exploit I had already mentioned.

On 1338. I see OBDEleven people are on 1447 now shown as the latest... they hadn't till recently shown that one. Probably said software.
20210610_131338.jpg

Last edited:

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
What RCupre said at the time of a retrofitter messing up TSR in the work they did

Question is are UK FeCs being used (in Mib Tool) if that was the case. Adverse to driving around with TSR misreading speed signs and road conditions. My other theory was it was because they loaded the FeCs when no navigation map was valid which might fall into @RCupra first line of text. Other theory from a UK retro-fitter that I suspect RCupra works with is that too many FeCs were being presented in what the said old retrofitter was doing. Three theories on this one. It's no joke when TSR isn't working correctly.

Your second line thought you meant I should use that exploit I had already mentioned.

On 1338. I see OBDEleven people are on 1447 now shown as the latest... they hadn't till recently shown that one. Probably said software.
View attachment 25115
Strange that you have user updates from 2012/2013?

Tell

Staff member
Strange that you have user updates from 2012/2013?
Ah well I thought everybody would know what they are so didn't say 😉. They are the Poinspector imports. Get one each time I import user POIs.

Reactions: Walone