Tailgate rattle

daveash

Hi all,
I have a nasty rattle coming from the back of my Ibiza 1.8T FR, it almost sounds as if the boot is loose (although its not), I've taken it in a few times but they are never able to fix it. They've taken the seats out, checked everything around the boot and found nothing, but its bloody noisy especially when turning on roundabouts. My old Ibiza 1.2 used to have the same rattle but it went after about six months so am thinking it might be a common problem... sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, I did a search but couldn't find anything relevant.

Cheers.

Nov 6, 2007
Newark
Hi all,
I have a nasty rattle coming from the back of my Ibiza 1.8T FR, it almost sounds as if the boot is loose (although its not), I've taken it in a few times but they are never able to fix it. They've taken the seats out, checked everything around the boot and found nothing, but its bloody noisy especially when turning on roundabouts. My old Ibiza 1.2 used to have the same rattle but it went after about six months so am thinking it might be a common problem... sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, I did a search but couldn't find anything relevant.

Cheers.

I get a rattle from my boot also not really loud but I think it either the parcel shelf or the trim rattling :confused:

daveash

The guys at the dealership seemed to think it was the rear seats but there doesn't seem to be any movement in them to me. I've almost got used to it but it still drives me up the wall sometimes!

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
i find my boot does not always shut properly (to look at it looks closed) and it rattles badly. the other problem i had was exhaust heat insulation came loose and rattled when go over bumps and round corners

St3f!

Oct 20, 2006
could be the vents in the boot floor flapping used to drive me insane!

dash

Feb 11, 2006
surrey
I had same problem. For me it WAS the two small lights for the number plate in the rear bumper thats was loose. It stopped after I secured it:lol:

daveash

Cheers guys I'll check some of those things, I never even thought to check the no. plate lights, out of sight etc... !

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
yer my boot doesnt shut very well, have to shut it quite hard. Sounds and looks shut until you start driving.

BigBash

Hi all,

Cheers.

Another thing to check, I had same problem and interestingly the service manager immediately knew the problem as she had the same noise on her own 1.8T. She straight away said it was the rear shocks. Apparantly it is quite common for them to be under filled with grease.

The noise I had sounded like the boot was open, on the catch, even if it was fully closed, I kept stopping to make sure it was!!! Anyway true to her advice they 'greased it up' and been fine since (other than the other knocking noises!!!)....

daveash

Cheers for the reply BigBash, that sounds exactly the same as the noise in my car. Can I ask which dealership you took it to and whether you know the name of the service manager? If I could get my local dealership to talk to her it would be useful.

halftone

May 15, 2008
Dudley, West Midlands
I have a rattle rear passenger side on my 08 1.4, checked the boot, and it was shut properly, got my mom in the back, to drop the seat down, and slam it back, and then she sat there, and it seemed to stop, i thought it might be the seat is lose ?

How would I fix that, or should i just take it to be fixed under warranty ?

daveash

I have a rattle rear passenger side on my 08 1.4, checked the boot, and it was shut properly, got my mom in the back, to drop the seat down, and slam it back, and then she sat there, and it seemed to stop, i thought it might be the seat is lose ?

How would I fix that, or should i just take it to be fixed under warranty ?

Eventually when I took mine in they said the boot wasn't aligned properly, and that seemed to fix it for a bit, but now its back with a vengeance and the car is out of warranty. Not sure how I'd go about adjusting the alignment of the boot.

I have found in the past that when the seats have been down the rattle has gone away for a bit, but I'm not sure anymore. I've had two Mk4 Ibizas and they've both had the same problem, but the dealerships seem clueless as to what causes it. If you take the car in under warranty they'll probably take the back seats out and check them before putting them back together, thats what they did with mine. Make sure you go out with them in the car first though, otherwise they sometimes just say they couldn't hear anything!

Densley2387

Diesel Addict
Feb 21, 2007
Leicester
My little booty has started making some strange creaking noise's... Only seems to happen when going over speed bumps.

Tonight after going out with out my head unit i had to stop and investigate properly, and i can say from jumping up and down in the boot of the car its not the shocks and when the boot is shut there is about 3-5mm of movement in and out, so i am guessing its the boot making the noises.

Just to add i've tried shaking the exhaust and that seems fine.

My car is also out of warranty by about a month!! so i need a DIY fix..

daveash

I really slammed it shut the other day and it seemed to make a real difference so I think it is just the boot catch.

Mr Cellotape

AKA Mr Ribbed
May 9, 2006
Warwickshire once.
The MK4 has got a tailgate rattle now, I just spent 20 mins trying to figure out where its coming from.

It's driving the Mrs nuts as she's doing big mileage every week in it.

I checked the seats and sat in the back whilst the Mrs drove it down the road. Still couldn/t find it.

I have had the Heat Shield drop off before so know that it's not that. Also it defo' sounds like it is the rear door moving about so maybee the rear door needs re-aligning to make it close properly.

I think I will try each of the following in turn over the next weekend.
1) Tighten the rear lights (One of them felt a little loose earlier)
2) Check the lights for the number plate. (tighten if necessary)
3) Try Slamming the rear boot door to see if this makes it go away. Does anyone know how to readjust the rear boot door?

Will let you all know how I get on.

PS just been out and slammed it now and asked the Mrs to let me know if that sorts it out.

Last edited:

Chriskona

Supacupra
Jun 14, 2008
Southampton
I had the same rattle from the back......I took it back to the dealer under warranty. They checked all the usual trim and boot catch, no joy.

Turned out to be faulty rear suspension top mounts, they had seen a couple in with the same problem.....

Hope you get it sorted!

brypie

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham, UK
My little booty has started making some strange creaking noise's... Only seems to happen when going over speed bumps.

Mine seems to do the same, only really makes any noise when going over speedbumps. I've not had any time to investigate it properly myself yet, so if you do find out what it is, please let me know :D

bundy1981

Oct 16, 2008
I had a noise coming from my 04 reg ibiza from the boot. The dealer said that one of the pillars in the boot had came loose. Try that !!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.