Temperature gauge creeping up

danny m

Apr 16, 2009
Hi all

after getting new fans fitted it cured the problem all sorted. it then started again a few months later so the garage fitted a new fan switch again sorted it. over the weekend i had the same issue stuck in traffic and the temp gauge went up so i turned on the a/c to get the temp down, it did this a few times over the weekend and has gone back to normal. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

i have fitted:

new fans
fan switch
water pump
cts

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
I still think its fan related... can you confirm that when it goes above 90 the fans are running? Check everytime it happens. dodgy connection somewhere?

danny m

Apr 16, 2009
hi

if it does it again i will check. but i cant confirm the fans where running over the weekend couldnt really check cos i was on the motorway.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
If it was WP related the faster you drive the more it overheats. Must be fans playing up.

As said catch it in the act and take it back to who fitted the fans. check/smell the fuse holder on the battery as well. They are a weak spot and it wouldnt take much to intermittantly break the connection.

danny m

Apr 16, 2009
fuses are ok all the parts that i have change are genuine vag ones. its weird thats its been ok and now its starts playing up, its starting to annoy me, still love the car mind :)

danny m

Apr 16, 2009
yeah thats true. im just guessing now lol. so you reckon fans then? i take it theres nothing else it could be?

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
WP must work because when driving its fine. Radiator cant be blocked and must have air hitting it as its fine when moving.

Get her warmed up and let her idle with the bonnet up. See what happens. Keep away from the fans as they will kick in without warning.

Does it happen everytime your at a stand still? Or intermittantly?

danny m

Apr 16, 2009
just an update on this problem had a new set of fans put in around 8 months ago and cured the problem but today its done it again was waiting in Burger King drive through, the gauge went up to around 110 so i turned the car off and turned it back on again and it hasnt done it since, this is the third set of fans i have had in this car including the original ones that came with it. could there be an electrical problem making them short out? its weird because they work ok for ages and then just go. :)

danny m

Apr 16, 2009
i have just driven the car two work this morning about 10 mile journey, got to work, left the car to idle for 20 min both fans came on twice for around 1 min and went off. i take it by them doing this they are working?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
If it was WP related the faster you drive the more it overheats. .

This is true but consider this. If the impeller is not attached to the shaft properly it could be that it spins fine at higher revs but slips on the shaft at tick over.

To the OP. Next time it does it try revving it up a bit and see if the temp drops. If it does I would look into a faulty water pump. If it doesn't you could try fitting a new thermostat.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise