Temperature gauge creeping up

danny m

Apr 16, 2009
This is true but consider this. If the impeller is not attached to the shaft properly it could be that it spins fine at higher revs but slips on the shaft at tick over.

To the OP. Next time it does it try revving it up a bit and see if the temp drops. If it does I would look into a faulty water pump. If it doesn't you could try fitting a new thermostat.

i will try this if it does it again, i was wondering thermostat but if it was that would it not be getting to temperature on the gauge?

danny m

Apr 16, 2009
yeah i will have to check, i brought a v checker scanner kit so when i recieve it i will have to have a look. do you think im wasting my time if i change the thermostat?

danny m

Apr 16, 2009
ok cool thanks for that i will have to try it. im off to london tomorrow so the stop start traffic will put the car to the test lol.

danny m

Apr 16, 2009
i have noticed recently that it doesnt take long for the temp gauge to get up to 90. i set the trip meter this morning to see how many miles it would take to get to temp, it took 1.6 miles. is this right? if not what could it be? i have a green cts.

cheers

Russ 1.8t

I have the same problem, going in garage next week, they think it could be water pump fins knacked, thermostat has been done, so the cheapest fix it aint:cry:

danny m

Apr 16, 2009
well i tried it again on the way home and its roughly the same distance 1.7 miles. can any one confirm if this is the norm. be intresting to know how you get on. i have still got to change my thermostat might do it at the weekend. the thing that is putting me off is getting the orange guide off without it breaking and hoping no bits go into the sump.

dreago 1

Gav
Oct 21, 2011
East Sussex
I replaced my stat last weekend, and had problems with a leak after (o-ring not connected properly). however i think its paranoia but believe my fans not to be workin. it has been cold and i have only driven the car about 5 miles slowyish. any ideas? did blow a fuse connected to the fan a few months back when turning the aircon on, have replaced it since. it gets up to 90 and stays there and no over heating. please help.

Nov 29, 2009
Brighouse, W.Yorks
Soubds like fans to me. My slow speed didnt work whrn i got mine it used to go upto 110 ish in traffic then fall back to 90 while driving

Do the fans run continusly when the ac is on of pulse in fast every 10 secs or so?

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2007
Reading
I have the same problem, going in garage next week, they think it could be water pump fins knacked, thermostat has been done, so the cheapest fix it aint:cry:

May as well get them to do the cambelt at the same time, it's not that much more expensive for the parts and it shouldn't be any extra labour.

well i tried it again on the way home and its roughly the same distance 1.7 miles. can any one confirm if this is the norm. be intresting to know how you get on. i have still got to change my thermostat might do it at the weekend. the thing that is putting me off is getting the orange guide off without it breaking and hoping no bits go into the sump.

Just gotta take it easy and order a replacement just in case!

danny m

Apr 16, 2009
i have brought a spare just to be safe then sorry, cheap enough. whats the best way getting it off wiggleing it left to right or front to back. im quite tempted to buy the black bit that goes to the sump.... does anyone know how the black bit fixes to the sump? is it screwed in or a tight push fit?

Russ 1.8t

Will do, but does anyone know if it could be any thing else before i go down the water pump route, please:confused:

andycupra

status subject to change

ive done two without removing the dipstick guide. just takes a little more care.

andycupra

status subject to change
it depends what the 1.7 miles is made up of.
its not unreasonable. a little quick maybe, but then if it took ages it would be costing you money.
For both my leons id guess it was about 2 miles with newish thermostats - made up of 1/2-3/4 mile on a roads then motorway.
It also depends how you drive it when its cold :)

danny m

Apr 16, 2009
its mostly 30mph limit then goes into 40mph, i drive quite slow when its cold. im goin to change the thermostat tomorrow, how much harder is it to change it while the guide is still in place?

krisby

Custom user title
Nov 17, 2010
Sipson
did you get it fixed Danny? sounds similar to my problem today in the wifes 1.8 20v non turbo, no fans despite hitting 114c (ECU) and just under 110 on the needle, no warmth from heater, no steam, no coolant loss. Just high temps, first time in about 3miles, seemed fine, sat in a little traffic, still lowish temp, hit an empty road so revved to just below redline to give it an italian tune up.

However, shortly after noticed temps sky rocketing. dramas, no RAC, for 3 hours, do drove the 3 miles home, temps were back to standing, but within 2 miles hit 110 again, despite the snow and leaving the bonnet open slightly.

Muttley reckons water pump, which sounds plausible, but its just these fans bother me, surely they would still come on even if the water pump had failed, afterall, them temps are high enough to trigger them.