Temperature gauge creeping up

danny m

Apr 16, 2009
hi there just a quick question i have just got in my lcr and warmed it up for 20 min while i cleared the snow off my car, when i pulled out of my road i got stuck and the temp gauge went to about 110. i have just travelled about 8 miles and the gauge seems to be ok now. is there a problem or do you think its just the wheather. just to let you know ive recently had a cambelt and waterpump change.

any help and advice would be great :)

cheers

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
sounds like your coolant had frozen.

have the garage that fitted the pump put in the right coolant? or the right concentration?

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
deffo sounds like part of the coolant system was frozen and causing a blockage.

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
Its the right coolant. Just sounded like the coolant wasn't getting round the engine correctly due to a blockage. I've experienced a similar thing in my old tranny van. the temp gauge went off the scale then shot back down to normal after a few minutes. turned out to be a plug of ice in the lower hose coming of the rad.

danny m

Apr 16, 2009
yeah i reckon your right about a blockage. i will keep an eye on it and see how it goes all i can do really.

cheers :)

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
maybe you havent got any water pump impellor fins left? if its over 30k the imellor could start to break down.

danny m

Apr 16, 2009
andycupra: why is this a potential downside of the metal impellar water pump? i would have thought a plastic one would have been worse. plastic frezzeing then breaken up?

danny m

Apr 16, 2009
hi all,

right guys had the same problem again with the temp gauge creeping up last nite, i have change the coolant temp sensor with a green one about 2 months ago. the aa mechanic checked the temperature of the hose to see if the thermostat was knackered and that seems ok. the fuses on top of the battery are all ok. have you any ideas what it could be? do you reckon i may have been unlucky with a faulty sensor? its a genuine one from SEAT. The water pump has been change last july for a metal impellor one. any help or advice would be great

cheers

danny m

Apr 16, 2009
the report from the aa mechanic. top hose 75c bottom hose 50c this was after the car had been running 20 min. i have just checked my car and the engine bay seem quite hot i ve heard these car do get warm is this true? im new to these cars so dont know much.

cheers