Thermostat Replacement Guide

marccowley1

Feb 24, 2008
I changed my thermostat and thought i'd try and make a guide for it so everybody else can know what to expect!

So here goes.

Firstly i drove the car to my workplace so it was as warm as it possibly could get, i got the car up on the ramp and drained the coolant by removing the clip on the bottom pipe on the rad and pulling it off, remember to take the cap off the coolant bottle as well so it can flow freely, if you dont have any new coolent then try and save your old in a clean drip tray of some sort.

I then removed the pipe from the waterpump so it wouldnt keep dripping on me i used a long screwdriver to lift the clip that holds the pipe onto the pump as shown below.

iPhone004.jpg

Then i removed the aux belt by undoing the 2 adjuster bolts for the p/s pump and levering it backwards towards the engine.

I then removed the pump from the pump bracket - only because i thought it'd make it easier to get the bracket off. as one of the metal pipes was in the way of the rear bolt. This wasn't as easy as it sounds, it was siezed in there solid. i had to use a long torque wrench and my long pry bar to lever the bolt out as i undid it as below.

iPhone003.jpg

I then could get to the bolts for the bracket easier, i removed these 3 as below.

iPhone007.jpg

Once thats off, there are 2 bolts to hold the thermostat housing on as shown below, also while its off, its best to clean the faces, i used some wire wool thwn tissue to clean off all the dirty coolant residue. I used a light grease on the faces of the new seal and some copperslip on the bolts, i cleaned round the thermostat housing also as shown below.

iPhone010.jpg

iPhone018.jpg

Just a few pictures also to show the new and old thermostats.

iPhone016.jpg

iPhone017.jpg

Then i just re-installed everything in reverse to removal with grease and cleaning everything up. I then filled the coolant system 50/50 water/coolant and started her up! Initially it didnt take any more so i drove it home after checking for leaks and it didn't initally get any heat to the interior so i just kept driving and it went upto 3/4's in the temp guage but then dropped down to half and i started getting some heat so it was just an air-lock. When i got home i left it for a little while to cool down. I then topped up the coolant and took it for another drive and it was all fine, i will keep an eye on it over the next week or so just in case but it should be from now on.

Below are the tools i used!

iPhone019.jpg

And thats that. Hope its of some help to people. I believe its pretty much the same for all mk2 ibiza models. Any questions please ask. Thanks. Marc