Thinking about a Cupra...

mk1cupradave

Apr 27, 2012
Sevenoaks, Kent
Just found my graphs i am getting 199.2 bhp @ 5,423 rpm and 239.2 lbft@ 3,502 rpm

it was 28.3 degrees when it was on the rollers and they had to retard the timing slightly due to the tesco fuel (apparently not good) causing a lot of knock correction.

The boost was peaking at 19 then dropping to 18.

Going to take it back when i am next home and get it tweaked on shell v power.

DubSteve68

Nov 4, 2010
Up North
45.4 mpg!

I managed 44.8 MPG door-to-door on a leisurely amble home from work today, with a peak ave. reading of 45.4. I didn't actually know this was possible until this afternoon, when faced with a 15 mile journey and an indicated 20 miles of fuel left in the tank I knew I had to take it *really* easy. Not the most thrilling of drives home but it became a bit of an OCD challenge to see how high I could get it to go.

When I decided to go for a Leon a couple of years back I had found two very nice examples, a petrol Cupra 180 for £2900 or a diesel Cupra 150 for £4200, both 2003 facelift models. I estimated the average MPG for the petrol would be 28MPG and 45MPG for the diesel, based on the usual journeys I do (around 7k/year) and the driving conditions. After a lot of pencil work I came to the conclusion the petrol was the better buy in the short term, the initial extra outlay of the diesel would take two years to recoup through its superior economy.

All boring stuff but I was spending my own hard-earned and I didn't want to make a duff choice either way. A couple of years on and it looks like the petrol Cupra was a better deal than I first thought and I can't see a reason to change it anytime soon. And it sounds better than a diesel :D

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.