Thinner Tyres Than OEM

JamJay

California Bound
As most of you may know, the OEM tyres on an LCR are 225/40/18 which to my knowledge fits 7.5" - 8.5" wheels comfortably but I was wondering, what would be the difference, in any aspect, of fitting a size smaller, width wise, 215/40/18? As far as I know, this tyres size will accomodate a 7" - 8" rim.

It was briefly mentioned in a thread a while ago but nothing materialised I don't think. I think it was rsmith who was playing with the idea of going from 235 to 225?

Any info appreciated.

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
you will get a slight stretch, i had them on my passat, 215. they round the edge more, i'd stick with factory spec though

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
I never really knew why they put 225x45's on the facelift LCs. the rims are only 7j and tramline badly. a 215 would of been a better choice.

As for the 7.5j cupra R rims why would you want to go thinner? is it for economy?

JamJay

California Bound
Well for 3 reasons I guess and also intrigued to know what effects it would have.

1) My tyre supplier can get T1-R's in 215 cheaper than 225 (Camskill is the other way round :shrug:)
2) To help with tram lining although that might be due to the design more than width
3) A pure silly reason, they look a little nicer on the rim.

JamJay

California Bound
I used to run a little stretch on my Civic, 215 rubber on 7.5J wheels and it looked lovely but if performance/economy are affected negatively, i'd stick with 225.

Made it look low and fat...

20575230057_large.jpg

20575230091_large.jpg

20575230089_large.jpg

...and for old time's sake :D

20575230058_large.jpg

Last edited:

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
after having three sets of rims on mine I'm convinced that rim and tyre width have a lot to do with tramlining.

I had a set of 18x8.5 on for a year (in my avatar) with 225's and there was zero tramlining the downside was the tyre was stretched slightly on the rims and was really uncomfortable with zero tyre wall flex. couldn't live with them in the end.

My oem 17" starfish alloys tramlined all over the place but were nice and comfy. 7j is to thin for 225's imo. the tyres always wore quicker on the edges which gives you a clue.

The LCR alloys I have now are a happy medium with slight tramlining but nothing to bad.

If you went with 215's they'd be harder on bumps in my opinion and offer little or no rim protection.

JamJay

California Bound
It was an EG6 VTi Wayne, stripped out, see above now with pics.

Thanks for the feedback sheffboy. So you think that i'd reduce tramlining but just have a little less comfort?

Edit: Any difference to straight line or lateral grip?

Last edited:

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
yep, but you'd have to avoid those potholes and kerbs ;)

Would of thought there'd be a slight loss of grip also. less footprint.

You would probably gain slightly more acceleration and mpg but we're talking, slightly

Edit. Like the civic btw.

Last edited:

wayne lcr

bored of it now
Mar 5, 2009
doncaster
crap that is low jamjay bet speed bumps loved you at the end of the day m8 its your car its a pitty you carnt get sum cheap of ebay and try the 215

JamJay

California Bound
Lol I don't mind if you do, that was a past project when I was a young teen although was the most fun car I have ever driven, braced up, must have weighed a bit under a tonne after i'd finished so didn;t need alot of torque to propell it and was around 170bhp. The wheels I have after those where 5kg or less each and believe it or not the coilovers still had an inch to wind down, that's not airbags, speed humps need technique, one I had perfected by the end of ownership.

Anyway, it looks like downsizing's benefits are going to be marginal and the only real improvement will be the looks. I guess MPG and acceleration may increase due to the tyres being lighter but I doubt i'd notice. Losing lateral grip bothers me though, will it be noticably worse?

I am trying to think back to how the Civic was excactly with the 215s but I can't compare the 2 cars, around a twisty track the Civic would have eaten my LCR alive with all the upgrades.

Last edited:

wayne lcr

bored of it now
Mar 5, 2009
doncaster
try and get a set of part worn or sumthing and try them for a week but in this weather is it worth the risk:think: maybe the summer yes but winter no and you dont want 1 blowing out or oat on you:cry: but seat made it with them tyres for a reason safety,performance,and what ever else.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
The term "tramlining" is being used to describe when directional control is disrupted by the vehicle's tendency to follow the longitudinal ruts and/or grooves in the road. It's name could be compared to the tram or trolley driver who does not steer because his vehicle follows the path established by the tracks.

Any vehicle can exhibit tramlining on certain areas of the highway because of uneven pavement or severe rutting. And all vehicles tramline to some degree rather than obediently following the driver's steering input. For example, there's usually at least a small change in steering resistance felt through the wheel when crossing an uneven expansion joint or asphalt junction during lane changes.

Noticeable increases in tramlining are frequently uncovered when drivers living in the snowbelt make the seasonal changeover from winter tires to summer tires, or when any driver upgrades the performance of their tires using either the same size or going to a "Plus Size" tire and wheel package. The reason that it becomes more pronounced then is because neither the typically narrower and softer handling winter tires nor the Original Equipment tires generate as much grip or responsiveness as the higher performance summer tires. Since the vehicle's suspension works as a complete package, a higher performance tire will also uncover any previously unnoticed looseness in the rest of the suspension.

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
What's tramlining?

The term "tramlining" is being used to describe when directional control is disrupted by the vehicle's tendency to follow the longitudinal ruts and/or grooves in the road. It's name could be compared to the tram or trolley driver who does not steer because his vehicle follows the path established by the tracks.

Any vehicle can exhibit tramlining on certain areas of the highway because of uneven pavement or severe rutting. And all vehicles tramline to some degree rather than obediently following the driver's steering input. For example, there's usually at least a small change in steering resistance felt through the wheel when crossing an uneven expansion joint or asphalt junction during lane changes.

Noticeable increases in tramlining are frequently uncovered when drivers living in the snowbelt make the seasonal changeover from winter tires to summer tires, or when any driver upgrades the performance of their tires using either the same size or going to a "Plus Size" tire and wheel package. The reason that it becomes more pronounced then is because neither the typically narrower and softer handling winter tires nor the Original Equipment tires generate as much grip or responsiveness as the higher performance summer tires. Since the vehicle's suspension works as a complete package, a higher performance tire will also uncover any previously unnoticed looseness in the rest of the suspension.

Bloody hell, thats a fair answer to a short question! nice one danny! interesting read actually, never thought of it like that to be honest!