This is the new Ibiza Cupra!

pr0ton

May 28, 2006
Also why would VAG have 3 different 1.4 forced induction engines all doing relatively the same power etc?

There is a:

1.4 Turbo
1.4 twincharger (turbo and supercharger)
And now you reckon there is a 1.4 twinturbo? Doesnt make sense.
The supercharger supplier that supplies the chargers for VAG 1.4 TSI, have had delivery problems in the past and that might still be a problem. Just guessing... :shrug:

Poverty

The supercharger supplier that supplies the chargers for VAG 1.4 TSI, have had delivery problems in the past and that might still be a problem. Just guessing... :shrug:

Well VAG did have issues making the 1.4tsi engines fast enough but I checked with my usual sources and they said there is no 1.4 twin turbo and that SEAT must have meant the twincharger. Marketing men getting things wrong again!

dancupra

why doesnt someone send a link of this thread to seat and see what responce they get......

Skinfakse

Mar 3, 2006
Denmark
I really don´t get why people are so upset about the looks of the Cupra compared to the Bocanegra concept!!? - Look closely on both cars, and you will notice that the differences are not THAT big!

It hasn´t got the black mask... but a bit of paint can do the job if fou fancy that (and on a black car it´s all the same!)! The frontlights are sligthy bigger on the final version... but who thought the lights from the Bocanegra would make it all the way to production?

Otherwise there is a tiny difference in the lower frontspoiler and they have added foglights... thats it!

At the rear, the fake "airouttakes/vents" are a little bit smaller than on the Bocanegra, and there have been added some small "bumbs" on the lower part of the diffusor... thats it!

Take the new Cupra, lower it, ad 18"/19" wheels with low ET and paint the front black... and you got something pretty close to the Bocanegra! (The red paint and "high ride" is not helping the Cupra compared to the nice redmetallic Bocanegra on giant wheels... but try and look through that!)

This is for the looks... whats underneath is another matter! ;o)

Had to admit though, that I´m not to keen on the looks of the new Ibiza 5door... but saw one today with the official seat-bodykit, lowered and on 17"... and that looks pretty nice in the flesh! - Just a little bit funny to put it on a car that produces 85HP... ;o)

Poverty

Yes it does have alot of similarities, but im hoping SEAT is doing with the ibiza, what they did with the leon. The leon FR and Cupra look pretty much the same to the untrained eye. Perhaps they are doing the same with the cupra and the possible bocanegra.

Vauxhall have done similiar with their VXR's and 2nd top of the range models. They look similiar.

Its also a bit odd the cupra has 17 inch alloys, the sport has those. Infact I think the sport actually looks better than the cupra! The cupra looks a bit tacky, atleast in that colour anyway.

This looks better than the cupra:

image_212.jpg

QuietQuackers

Feb 14, 2007
Cheshire
If what they have shown is not the proper Cupra but a kind of FR, seeing as it will cost 15-16k, how much is the proper Cupra with the 2.0T going to cost?

The prices will be getting ridiculous and you may as well get a Leon Cupra

Poverty

Phat chance:lol::cartman:

cant be 16k as thats near leon FR money.

And Vauxhall are selling their 150hp warm hatch for 13k and the VXR for 16k. And lets not forget the VXR is more powerful and SEAT usually undercuts vauxhall in price!

Renault clio 197 can be had for 14.6k

Therefore if seat want to sell these "cupras" they best not try to charge much over 14k. I certainly wouldnt buy one if they did especially with those baby brakes!

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
SEAT UK's Press Department release.

Never one to rest on its laurels, SEAT will be expanding its recently-launched Ibiza line-up at the forthcoming Paris Motor Show, with the unveiling of the fire-breathing Cupra and ultra-green Ecomotive models.

Set to make their Show debuts on 2 October, the Cupra and Ecomotive are highly significant additions to the sharp-looking new Ibiza range – at a stroke, they become respectively the meanest and greenest versions of SEAT’s supermini.

The Cupra is brimming with sophisticated technology. It uses a 180 PS 1.4-litre petrol engine, featuring not only a turbocharger but also a supercharger, an approach beneficial to both power delivery and fuel efficiency. Furthermore, this compact yet potent powerplant is mated to a seven-speed DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) transmission, complete with F1-style steering wheel shift-paddles.

As expected from the Spanish brand whose ethos is ‘auto emoción’, the new Ibiza Cupra has style to match its spirit. Based on the SportCoupé (SC) three-door body shape, the Cupra boasts a bespoke look, with a new front bumper and air intakes surrounding the grille. Eye-catching 17” alloy wheels, a rear diffuser incorporating a centrally-placed trapezoid exhaust pipe, Cupra sports seats and track-inspired aluminium pedals are other visual highlights penned by Luc Donckerwolke, SEAT’s Design Director whose curriculum vitae includes the Lamborghini Gallardo and Murcielago.

The other high performance Ibiza – though in this context performance is measured in mpg rather than mph – is the next generation Ecomotive which, just like the current model, has an official carbon dioxide emissions figure of just 99 g/km. That is currently the joint lowest figure of any internal combustion engined-car available in the UK today, which means that the Ecomotive will once again qualify for free road fund licence.

Available in both 5dr and SC versions, the Ibiza Ecomotive is equipped with a clean and frugal 80 PS 1.4 TDI engine with DPF diesel particulate filter. Its notably low fuel consumption and CO2 emissions are achieved through engine software modifications, as well as enhancements to the gearbox and gear ratios, the fitment of new 175/70 R14 low rolling-resistance tyres and the substitution of the spare wheel for a puncture kit.

Aerodynamic performance has also been analysed, resulting in a new closed front grille and revised rear spoiler which combine to reduce air resistance. Naturally, these changes do not affect the Ibiza’s extrovert appearance, meaning that the Ecomotive is arguably the sportiest-looking small eco-car on the market.

Both prices and specification for the new Ibiza Cupra and Ibiza Ecomotive will be announced closer to their UK arrival towards the middle of next year. In the meantime, all current Ibiza Ecomotive models are available with 0% finance (over 3 years, with 35% deposit) – a hugely attractive deal for financially and environmentally aware buyers, who will already benefit from the car’s road tax exemption and 74.mpg fuel economy.

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
That's all well and good, Z, but unless they release a Cupra RR with a quad-turbo W16 that does 40mpg, runs on old newspaper and costs no more than £8k then clearly SEAT know nothing about running an international car company and I simply won't be buying one. ;)

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
That's all well and good, Z, but unless they release a Cupra RR with a quad-turbo W16 that does 40mpg, runs on old newspaper and costs no more than £8k then clearly SEAT know nothing about running an international car company and I simply won't be buying one. ;)

:cartman: If i could fit in one comfortably I might get excited about it more. :whistle:

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
i have to admit that given the supposed cupra, i may look at a second hand seat instead as despite what the cupra is its nothing like the bocanegra which is stunning

it just does not make me want one from the looks, which the mk4 cupra and mk1 leon does

Poverty

Have you actually looked at the pictures? :confused:

Take the Bocanegra and remove the black paint from the front, the wheels and lights that were never going to make it to production and raise the ride height a bit. What do you get?

A ugly looking vehicle. It has bocanegra styling cues but the way its been done just makes the car look tacky. Like a cheap bodykit.

This car is not in the vein of a true cupra. Cupra's have big brakes and usually one of the most powerful engines in its class.

This is non of that and seems to be more FR spec.

Anyway the guys over on pistonheads seem to echo mine and some other members thoughts.

Surely there will be a proper hothatch version of the new ibiza!

http://pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=57&t=578539&i=0

EAT know nothing about running an international car company and I simply won't be buying one.
they didnt till audi stepped in lol, and with all the big talk they have been doing with the new ibiza this is very disapointing. Your alright though seeing as they didnt ruin the new leon cupra!

Last edited by a moderator:

QuietQuackers

Feb 14, 2007
Cheshire
I still think most people would prefer it if they got rid of the 1.4 TSI and put the 2.0T in, they'd probably sell alot more too.

For a modern/ current generation hot hatch it's underpowered

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
they didnt till audi stepped in lol, and with all the big talk they have been doing with the new ibiza this is very disapointing. Your alright though seeing as they didnt ruin the new leon cupra!

Apparently even Audi don't know what their doing either if this thread is anything go by. Everyone seems to be harking back to the late 90s early 00s as the golden Ibiza era.

Market forces will forever dictate the fate of production cars.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and thank god for that otherwise we would all drive around in beige boxes.

The pistonheads link also doesn't reflect with SEAT UK's own press release, because it won't be here until the middle of next year, not the end of this one.

Last edited:

Leonidas

I read somewhere that the Fabia vRS is going to have this engine aswell.
Hasn't the cupra always been more powerful than a vRS which has always had the same engines as the FR's.
It could also mean that there is going to be something more powerful than the cupra.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members